Dougherty: Emphasis on outside zone run could reignite Packers' offense

"it is inevitably frustrating to have one of the most talented quarterbacks the league has ever seen win only one Super Bowl."

brett favre, anyone?

the green bay packers have squandered the careers of two consecutive hall-of-fame quarterbacks.
Could be worse I guess. Marino never won a SB .. ;)

I like the part in that article about the importance of a fullback...

I’ve heard about 10 guys are top 5. Let’s wait and see.

Yup, it seems like there are about 5 or so consensus guys that are top 10 and then it seems like maybe more than 10 guys who show up as the other 5 in that top-10. Now, I'm not holding out hope on Jonah Williams at 12, and depending on what else is available I might not even take him there. I think he'll be gone, but weird stuff happens on draft day.

All you need is a couple of teams to pass on an OT in favor of a QB, Edge, or DL and the next thing you know that OT is still sitting there at spot 8-10. I've seen a few mocks and boards where he's showing up there. I've also read that he might not measure well at the combine, primarily that he'll be a little short-armed. Now, that shouldn't lead to a huge drop, but if a few of those top teams see him as more of an OG/RT than a high level starting LT, he might well drop to 8 . . . 10 . . . 12?

Far as RBs go, I think you look at guys like Matt Breida in SF, Alfred Morris when he was with Washington - UDFAs who seemed to flourish in this zone running system. Does Ryan Grant with the 2007 Packers count, when we were still using Jags zone scheme? Point is, while an uber talented flagship back is great, and while not just anyone can do it great, in this system a successful RB can come from anywhere.

57 I agree with you about Williams. In this day and age, arm length can be the difference between top 5 and top 15. I don't see anyone projecting him as the next great LT, which opens him up to a little bit of a drop.

This draft is fairly deep at o-line from what I understand. I am very leery picking an OL in the first round. Especially at 12. If it was 30, I would not have an issue. I am more about skilled players in the first round. JMO.

Yep we dont need to force a ol pick at 12. There will be solid guys later. I think risner is the best ol prospect in this draft. That kid will be a good one at guard or rt.

if we take a running back in the first round with all the needs we have, i won't be happy.

Reality,

Remember, we do not want to be TT and continue to draft 8 CB's in 3 or 4 years. Yes, we have needs but we also have a ton of holes to fill. And just because we have two solid backs does not mean you pass up a talented one that falls to you in the draft. Aaron Jones has had 3 knee injuries now and Williams is just ok. If ML is about running the football then we may have to draft a RB in round 1. As long as it helps this team get to the SB in the next few years, I am all for it.

Reality,

Remember, we do not want to be TT and continue to draft 8 CB's in 3 or 4 years. Yes, we have needs but we also have a ton of holes to fill. And just because we have two solid backs does not mean you pass up a talented one that falls to you in the draft. Aaron Jones has had 3 knee injuries now and Williams is just ok. If ML is about running the football then we may have to draft a RB in round 1. As long as it helps this team get to the SB in the next few years, I am all for it.
Agreed. If he's there and he's on your list and he has a first round grade take him.

meh, I get if hes the highest rated guy on your board you take him. I have no problem drafting a back this yr. I think we should, but idk about in the 1st. High pick RBs don't translate to winning it all. They are a nice piece but RBs can be had, esp with the shelf life of them. Most nfl backs can be effective with good OL and scheme. Also day 2 and 3 guys can help your team. I like Jacobs.... im guessing hes the guy being talked about here, but hes not on my top 30 big board. I would love him if he fell to the 2nd (don't see it) but there are other backs that will be solid also.

meh, I get if hes the highest rated guy on your board you take him. I have no problem drafting a back this yr. I think we should, but idk about in the 1st. High pick RBs don't translate to winning it all. They are a nice piece but RBs can be had, esp with the shelf life of them. Most nfl backs can be effective with good OL and scheme. Also day 2 and 3 guys can help your team. I like Jacobs.... im guessing hes the guy being talked about here, but hes not on my top 30 big board. I would love him if he fell to the 2nd (don't see it) but there are other backs that will be solid also.
Jacobs >>> Kamara. Top 15 pick

Back