Davante's Toe: Not Serious

Probably could use a different description of 2 1/2 decades :)

It's a whole different world - especially regarding the amount they get paid.

Sterling made a lot of money, but it wasn't guaranteed and wasn't don't play and live in the lap of luxury for the rest of your life money. He had to play to get paid.

DaVante has guaranteed money in an amount which should never make him lift a finger. There's a different attitude about playing.

It's a whole different world - especially regarding the amount they get paid.

Sterling made a lot of money, but it wasn't guaranteed and wasn't don't play and live in the lap of luxury for the rest of your life money. He had to play to get paid.

DaVante has guaranteed money in an amount which should never make him lift a finger. There's a different attitude about playing.
Agreed. And in those days, the tough guy mentality of Nitschke ruled supreme. Even thought hey knew of something called turf toe. It was a toe. Men don't sit because of a toe.

Unless you've had turf toe, you have no idea how damned painful and debilitating it is. I had it, and for a week, I couldn't even put a sheet over my foot when I slept at night. They couldn't even use cold compresses on it. I had to put my foot in ice cold water.

It took forever to heal well enough that it didn't hurt. It happened in early November, and the following April, it was still bad enough that I had to move from catcher to 1B on my high school baseball team. By the following fall, the pain had subsided enough that I could play football, but the coach would tape my foot and toes before every practice and game. He told me that injuring it further could happen, if I didn't protect it.

This is one of those injuries that you just plain don't understand unless it's happened to you. Even then, the severity varies.

Unless you've had turf toe, you have no idea how damned painful and debilitating it is. I had it, and for a week, I couldn't even put a sheet over my foot when I slept at night. They couldn't even use cold compresses on it. I had to put my foot in ice cold water.

It took forever to heal well enough that it didn't hurt. It happened in early November, and the following April, it was still bad enough that I had to move from catcher to 1B on my high school baseball team. By the following fall, the pain had subsided enough that I could play football, but the coach would tape my foot and toes before every practice and game. He told me that injuring it further could happen, if I didn't protect it.

This is one of those injuries that you just plain don't understand unless it's happened to you. Even then, the severity varies.

I get it.

I wasn't trying to imply that DaVante was not tough.

Simply, times have changed. People worked through things differently in the old days. A lot of it was because, they did not have guaranteed money.

I realize how bad a turf toe must hurt. I also realize that DaVante is practically useless unless he can push off with his feet - Big Toe!

But, guys in an older era would find a way because they wanted to make the money and have to work less in the offseason.

I hope DaVante gets better soon. I am on the side of resting him and letting him get healthy; otherwise, this will nag him all season and maybe into the future.

This is a BINGO...Davante will not be the same all year. He's done guys

Over the previous two years, when Rodgers was injured, and tried to play through the shoulder injuries, I warned that it could effect his game at that time, and maybe permanently. I hear people talking about how he's getting older, not as much zip on the ball. I'd be willing to bet that isn't because he's lost the zip, he's actually in the process of recovering the muscle memory he had, before the injuries. Last year's injury added to the woes. Not only was he compensating for the shoulder injury, but now an injury with a leg, that caused his footwork to take a step back in time.

He's going to get better as the season progresses, but as for Adams, he's going to take time to heal, and I fear they're going to do the same thing with him, as Rodgers, and cost him valuable playing time down the road. This coaching staff is not in danger of being fired, so there's no reason to rush him back on the field, and risk everything.

Coaches and organizations need to learn that ruining their chief assets by rushing them back into games is not best for the franchise, or the players. Look how long it took for the NFL to recognize the need for concussion protocol. In the old days, a guy got his "bell rung," and everyone laughed. It was just accepted, because nobody knew, or understood the long term ramifications. Now we know, and look what changes it's made in the game.

I played at the college level with a dislocated elbow. They put a cast on it from above to below the elbow. The coaches added wooden splints, under massive amounts of tape, and old fashioned foam, to "cushion it." I used that arm like a club during two games, and made at least a half dozen clothes line tackles with it. In those days, everyone laughed, except the people who I clouted. I know one ended up with a concussion, because he was staggering around the field, and ended up being led to their sideline. I didn't see him again.

It wasn't wise for me to play that way. It also wasn't wise for them to let me play. The problem is, we demand too much of people playing football. We see guys on the shelf from minor injuries in other sports, but in football we have this dumb philosophy that; "If the bone ain't sticking out of the leg, it's just an owie!" That's not good sense.

Over the previous two years, when Rodgers was injured, and tried to play through the shoulder injuries, I warned that it could effect his game at that time, and maybe permanently. I hear people talking about how he's getting older, not as much zip on the ball. I'd be willing to bet that isn't because he's lost the zip, he's actually in the process of recovering the muscle memory he had, before the injuries. Last year's injury added to the woes. Not only was he compensating for the shoulder injury, but now an injury with a leg, that caused his footwork to take a step back in time.

He's going to get better as the season progresses, but as for Adams, he's going to take time to heal, and I fear they're going to do the same thing with him, as Rodgers, and cost him valuable playing time down the road. This coaching staff is not in danger of being fired, so there's no reason to rush him back on the field, and risk everything.

Coaches and organizations need to learn that ruining their chief assets by rushing them back into games is not best for the franchise, or the players. Look how long it took for the NFL to recognize the need for concussion protocol. In the old days, a guy got his "bell rung," and everyone laughed. It was just accepted, because nobody knew, or understood the long term ramifications. Now we know, and look what changes it's made in the game.

I played at the college level with a dislocated elbow. They put a cast on it from above to below the elbow. The coaches added wooden splints, under massive amounts of tape, and old fashioned foam, to "cushion it." I used that arm like a club during two games, and made at least a half dozen clothes line tackles with it. In those days, everyone laughed, except the people who I clouted. I know one ended up with a concussion, because he was staggering around the field, and ended up being led to their sideline. I didn't see him again.

It wasn't wise for me to play that way. It also wasn't wise for them to let me play. The problem is, we demand too much of people playing football. We see guys on the shelf from minor injuries in other sports, but in football we have this dumb philosophy that; "If the bone ain't sticking out of the leg, it's just an owie!" That's not good sense.

I agree with everything you said TW, but in order to give teams an incentive to sit guys rather than risk further/long term damage they need to change the rules to allow for dramatic expansion of rosters so teams can keep enough personnel to offset injury losses.
Unlike most other sports, football is the ultimate “team” sport where 11 function as 1. Most other sports are dominated by “individual” performance.
Until they figure out how to overcome that hurdle, we will likely continue to see players coming back from injury sooner than they should.

Back