Davante Traded!?

Gotta agree with FLA on this one. Could they have gotten more for Adams, sure, in a ideal situation where he was under contract with favorable money. The thing is, there was no long term contract. They knew he was on his way out. Plus the second first round pick would have been next year's pick, which is always devalued somewhat. Maybe they could have done a little better, but I wouldn't say they got "fleeced".

When you read that Adams seemed dead set against returning, I'm actually surprised they didn't bungle it and that they got as much as they did for him.

Outstanding move by the Packers FO IMO:
  1. Restructure Rodgers for a more 2022 cap-friendly deal;
  2. Slap a non-exclusive franchise tag on Adams. This allows Adams to seek out offers from other teams with the tag condition that the new team (Raiders in this case) owes two 1st round draft picks to the original team (Packers), and that the original team can match the offer (Adams stays with Packers) or decline (Adams goes with Raiders and Packers get two first round picks from Raiders for Adams.);
  3. Restructure player contracts and let go of players as appropriate to get under max team salary by 3/16/2022;
  4. The Packers now have the option of matching the offer from the new team. In this case the Packers used the franchise tag so that they could trade him. If they let him become an unrestricted free agent Packers would not have been able to get anything for him. I doubt the Raiders were willing to give up two first-round picks for him under the non-exclusive franchise tag scenario but presented an offer instead to Adams and Packers. So the Packers outright traded him. Also apparently the Packers more than matched the Raiders offer which would have forced Adams to stay under the non-franchise tag and an unhappy Adams would still be with the Packers for another year, if the front office so chose. But I think this was done to show Adams, "Hey, if you want to stay, we still want you." So I believe this was an outstanding move by the Packers in this situation. I also believe that all interested parties were well aware of this happening.

Now GB needs to pick it's pitch and hit the HR with these picks

Outstanding move by the Packers FO IMO:
  1. Restructure Rodgers for a more 2022 cap-friendly deal;
  2. Slap a non-exclusive franchise tag on Adams. This allows Adams to seek out offers from other teams with the tag condition that the new team (Raiders in this case) owes two 1st round draft picks to the original team (Packers), and that the original team can match the offer (Adams stays with Packers) or decline (Adams goes with Raiders and Packers get two first round picks from Raiders for Adams.);
  3. Restructure player contracts and let go of players as appropriate to get under max team salary by 3/16/2022;
  4. The Packers now have the option of matching the offer from the new team. In this case the Packers used the franchise tag so that they could trade him. If they let him become an unrestricted free agent Packers would not have been able to get anything for him. I doubt the Raiders were willing to give up two first-round picks for him under the non-exclusive franchise tag scenario but presented an offer instead to Adams and Packers. So the Packers outright traded him. Also apparently the Packers more than matched the Raiders offer which would have forced Adams to stay under the non-franchise tag and an unhappy Adams would still be with the Packers for another year, if the front office so chose. But I think this was done to show Adams, "Hey, if you want to stay, we still want you." So I believe this was an outstanding move by the Packers in this situation. I also believe that all interested parties were well aware of this happening.
Good perspective.

I just wish they'd have been as forward thinking with Rodgers. C'est la vie.

I get the argument, but how competitive are the Packers without Rodgers?
How competive will GB be next year Adams does take hit to team. Is GB just a WC or divisional playoff team with Rodgers? Would it have been best to say ok we won't be a SB team so instead of being a playoff team we take lumps now and load up to retool.

I get the argument, but how competitive are the Packers without Rodgers?
It’s a good question, and I’d say probably not as competitive.
But I also think they would move away from a Rodgers pass-centric style offense to a run heavy/play action pass offense where the QB isn’t the centerpiece.
Would that be enough to go deep/as deep as with Rodgers?
That’s another good question.

Back