Critical offseason awaits McCarthy, Thompson

Taking things one at a time, top 1/3 in the league 3 out of 5 means worse than that 2 out of 5. Conventional wisdom in evaluating the Pack for some time now has been that a juggernaut offense needs only a reasonable defense, and we win it all. Last year was as you noted, so even a pretty good defense netted us the same disappointment in the playoffs. The day after the reverse happens (juggernaut defense wins the Super Bowl with a little assist from the offense) ought to tell us something.

In the changing world of sports, isn't having your worst season last year the exact time to start wondering if everyone else isn't catching up to you, generating the need for innovation? Isn't that sort of thing the reason Capers is perpetually on the hot seat (i.e., the league has caught up to him, but he keeps playing it the same way)?

Not rhetorical - how many substandard seasons does MM get? Remember, AR's clock is ticking.

I get that's it a win now league. Just to get that out of the way. But I don't think 10-6 is substandard. Could it have been better yes but I've said this before. The league is set up for parity not continued success. Just like players coaches have bad games and yes bad seasons. Head coaches and coordinators. Wade Phillips was not a genius each year. Look at coaches like Tomlin Payton. Are they bad HC. No.

I get that's it a win now league. Just to get that out of the way. But I don't think 10-6 is substandard. Could it have been better yes but I've said this before. The league is set up for parity not continued success. Just like players coaches have bad games and yes bad seasons. Head coaches and coordinators. Wade Phillips was not a genius each year. Look at coaches like Tomlin Payton. Are they bad HC. No.

And neither is McCarthy. We had a disappointing season but if you read some of the posts here one would think we were 6-10 instead of 10-6. We all had high expectations but in the end only one team is happy come February. Unfortunately it wasn't us. But if we address a couple of issues 2016 could be a fun season.

Sure, it could be. 2009 could have been, 2010 was, 2011-2015 could have been, but weren't (as defined by my position that fun means ultimately winning, or at least, as in the Gory Years, doing better than expected). Does it matter if the record is 10-6 or 6-10 if the season is to be remembered as disappointing (obviously, I, personally, mean that as rhetorical). If any endeavour (sports, business, military, whatever) consistently comes up short, who gets the blame - the one at the top.

In reading this thread and others on similar subjects it seems to me that nothing short of a SB title will b are a lot of people happy. But when you look at the league, who has won the Lombardi those expectations are just unrealistic. As I have mentioned the win now mentality in the NFL. But step back and ask yourself. What is the alternative to McCarthy? Do you want a revolving door every 3-5 if we don't win it fire his ass? Think back how has that worked for the other guys. Sure some will point to Denver but some top 10 drafts helped and they used a thing called free agency. What a novel thought.

Compare McCarthy to Tomlin of Payton or even Holmgren and he matches up damn well. Ask yourself. Other than BB in New England who is the best HC in the NFL. And then ask yourself why. If they are so talented why aren't they in the SB each year. So being realistic that those guys won't be available then who.? David Shaw. Kevin Sumlin? Brian Kelly? Scratch that, they would want full control. Is there one coordinate who can step in and win now. Can't think of one.

Be careful what you wish for. It could be a lot worse

I have to agree with pretty everything that has been said, Pros and Cons. I started following the Packers in the late 70's. I gotta say that the excitement of making it to the playoffs and the Possibility of making it to the SB is way better than what we experienced before. I may not agree with everything TT and MM do but it sure beats where we were.

As always, have to throw in the personal feeling that coming close, and doing it often (basically, the last two decades), hurts more than knowing the team isn't going anyhwere and enjoying whatever wins they generate. "Wait 'til next year" was a lot easier to take in the Gory Years than it has since Favre arrived.

Back