Could Badgers land Hauser brothers after all?

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Few in-state recruiting battles have been as fierce or potentially game-changing for the Wisconsin-Marquette rivalry as those of Joey and Sam Hauser. On Monday, the brothers announced their intentions to transfer from the Golden Eagles program. A report by Steven Watson of WISN-TV in Milwaukee says that the Badgers are in the mix to land the two of them. However, the same report notes that the...

Source

Continue reading...

It'd be interesting to see if Virginia is a destination. I know Bennett recruited Joey. The thing is, coming off a national championship, they might be in on more highly rated talent and taking these two guys ties up two scholies for 2019-20 on a couple of players that won't play. Plus there is some question on whether they have the scholarships.

I'd also be a little surprised if they end up at UW. Seems like there is room, but man there would be a bunch of blow-back on these 2 from Marq fans. It's one thing to go out of state, and another to the in-state rival.

There is also some questions on what eligibility Joey has left. He already used a red-shirt year when he left high school early and took his scholarship for the second semester to rehab from an injury. Read somewhere that he might only have 2 years of eligibility left.

Gotta wonder what's up at Marquette. These guys were priority recruits for Wojo. Something must have soured the relationship.

I see that there's somewhat of a connection between the Hauser brothers and a couple of present Badgers who are nudging them in hoping them join the Badgers. I have no idea how strong the push is from the coaches. I also have no idea how they'd fit into the Badger system to be honest. I also have no idea how well they'd fit into the Virginia program if that's their choice.

Seeing how Dad attended pretty much all their games, makes me a little curious. Would that be enough of a factor to have them choose the Badgers because of proximity? Just a thought.

Speculation in the MilwJS today about the Hausers to UW. Reasons they would:
- Basketball fit is good as the Badgers like bigs who can shoot the 3. Both Hausers fit that role.
- Sam is a pretty solid individual defender.
- Gard recruited Joey hard so he certainly thought there was a fit.
- UW has the scholarship openings. No need to tinker with the roster, especially with Tai Strickland leaving the program.
- Trevor Anderson played with both Hausers at SP.
- Sam's girlfriend plays volleyball at UW.
- The Hauser's dad played b-ball at UM-Duluth with Brad Davison's dad.
- Dad attends all the home games and Madison is an easy 2 hour ride down I-39 from Point. (Plus, if he's really into it, there are a more Big-10 away games that are easy to get to by car compared to the Big East.)

Virginia would seem a decent fit as Tony B. recruited both brothers, but has two issues. One, they don't have the scholarships unless something changes. They just got a new commitment on Monday. They would need a couple of guys to leave the program. Obviously not close enough for family to attend games easily/frequently.

Michigan State also mentioned as an option. Izzo recruited Joey pretty hard. Issues there are that MSU is full up on scholarships with no likely changes. Neither brother is the sort of elite athlete that Izzo generally covets especially on the defensive end. Getting to games would be a challenge, though it's doable for some games.

It would be a big get for UW and I think the basketball fit would be solid. Now, it might mess a bit with Gard's recruiting as it would tie up scholarships for 2 and 3 years respectively. Does he stay "all in" on Jalen Johnson who's much more likely to go to Duke than UW. With the Hausers, I think they would only have 2 scholarships available for 2020 and they already have a commitment from Bowman(PG). The Badgers are in on several talented 2020 kids besides Johnson so things could be a bit tricky.

• Informative
Reactions: TW
with Hunter and Guy leaving UVa Anthony transferring my money is on Virginia

Back