Coan's game against Kent State

TW

Reaction score
Here we go! I'm attacking what some people will call a good game. Let the discussion begin.

Every week I wait to see Coan make the plays he must make, based on the Badgers defense and his surrounding cast on offense. What I don't see is him making a play happen, because of him. He's not the kind of player who can lead this team back in a desperation drive, and as the season progresses, it becomes more pronounced.

I know this won't be popular, but I thought Mertz showed poise, touch, and the excellent leadership on the field. Adding to this, his arm strength is far superior to that of Coan.

I'm not saying I'd pull Coan and play Mertz at this point. I'd still like to see Mertz red shirt this year. But if I was Chryst, I'd tell Coan straight out that he is not the official starter next year, and Mertz will definitely be competing for the job, and has a good chance of winning it, if Coan doesn't figure out how to make that longer throw that stretches the field.

I firmly believe that the only thing that's holding the Badgers out of being a top 4 team this year is another solid WR who can stretch the field, and a QB who can be the catalyst to make drives happen, to win games. Mertz could fill that role, in the future. He's just not quite ready yet.

I know this won't be popular, but I thought Mertz showed poise, touch, and the excellent leadership on the field. Adding to this, his arm strength is far superior to that of Coan.
Against who ??? Kent State and Central Michigan in garbage time ? There still isn't any solid evidence outside of peoples hope and promise that says he'll be any better than the last two. I'll put the same thing here as the other thread.....

~Alex Hornibrook is 44-60 for 570 and 5 TD vs no Int in two games at FSU. But how ??? Because 1. He's not in the UW system which is run heavy schematically. 2. He has several weapons that can actually catch... run and get open. ~

We need at least 2 WR and an upgrade at TE at UW. As for Coan give him those WR and a TE and then actually scheme them open and he'll be what you're wanting. At UW under PC he's good enough to get us to 5-0 and a #8 ranking. PC and Barry have no reason not to be very happy with 8-3 or 9-2 and a major bowl every year. They would love for Coan to get better but unless he goes turnover happy he's the guy.

The national title playoff stuff AKA Top 4 is a pipe dream that won't happen for a variety of reasons the biggest being UW academic requirements and rules on transfers etc. The last guy that challenged that and went away from the Barry way left town in a hurry... fella named Anderson.

Here we go! I'm attacking what some people will call a good game. Let the discussion begin.

Every week I wait to see Coan make the plays he must make, based on the Badgers defense and his surrounding cast on offense. What I don't see is him making a play happen, because of him. He's not the kind of player who can lead this team back in a desperation drive, and as the season progresses, it becomes more pronounced.

I'm not saying I'd pull Coan and play Mertz at this point. I'd still like to see Mertz red shirt this year. But if I was Chryst, I'd tell Coan straight out that he is not the official starter next year, and Mertz will definitely be competing for the job, and has a good chance of winning it, if Coan doesn't figure out how to make that longer throw that stretches the field.

I firmly believe that the only thing that's holding the Badgers out of being a top 4 team this year is another solid WR who can stretch the field, and a QB who can be the catalyst to make drives happen, to win games. Mertz could fill that role, in the future. He's just not quite ready yet.
The Badgers are going to protect Mertz he's a true freshman and not ready. If anything happens to Coan they will likely turn to Wolf to protect Mertz redshirt. Mertz needs time to sit and watch and learn. He will be likely be given the chance to win job next year but until then he needs to learn we saw today in Auburn game what starting a true Freshman can be like.

And he looked like a deer in the headlights when they blitzed. You let this play out during spring practice and see where it goes

Against who ??? Kent State and Central Michigan in garbage time ? There still isn't any solid evidence outside of peoples hope and promise that says he'll be any better than the last two. I'll put the same thing here as the other thread.....

I realize this was nothing more than mop up duty. But that doesn't alter the fact he's looked pretty good for someone who has just entered the system. He has a better tool chest than Coan, but nothing in what I said indicated he's anywhere near being ready to step in, and show us what he's got. I still believe they should red shirt him.

That aside, I am beginning to wonder what's playing out in practice. They've now used Mertz in two games, and yesterday pretty much set our other QBs aside. It's almost like they intend prepping him to be ready to go, if Coan is injured in anyway, not protect his red shirt.

As far as WRs, I mentioned that we need at least one who can stretch the field. But, in all honesty, even if we had two more, I don't believe Coan has the touch to throw the long ball with any degree of accuracy or consistency.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one, because I just don't see it.

One thing that I saw yesterday was that Coan was much more comfortable on run / sprint out vs straight drop back. This hype remained he of the hype hoops fans had for Dekker when he got on campus. It took Sam 3 years for the light bulb to go on. Let’s be realistic. Other than Oklahoma how many teams drop back and of deep more than 2-3 times per game? Not Clemson, not Alabama, not Georgia. not Ohio State. Hell what B1G team does, maybe Purdue but what is their records. In this conference in October and November your not winning stretching the field. Q at least keeps the safety’s honest that we have a WR to account for. That was not the case last year. Now give a WR or 2 that can get separation underneath and run a 5 to 10 yd route tree that’s a difference maker in this scheme

More telling to me was that Northwestern was selling out to stop the run, and guys either couldn't win one-on-one matchups on the outside, or if they did Coan couldn't get the ball there with authority. How many times did a drive stall because on 3rd and medium the pass was floated and gave the defense that extra step or two towards the receiver.

It's like a reverse Stave, that kid couldn't put touch on a ball to save his life.

More telling to me was that Northwestern was selling out to stop the run, and guys either couldn't win one-on-one matchups on the outside, or if they did Coan couldn't get the ball there with authority. How many times did a drive stall because on 3rd and medium the pass was floated and gave the defense that extra step or two towards the receiver.

It's like a reverse Stave, that kid couldn't put touch on a ball to save his life.
And Nebraska who has better skill position players except at RB only managed 13 points vs NW. Also scheme and OL was also an issue

Back