Cheese Curds, 2/4: On Randall Cobb's punctured lung and Packers' Super Bowl I victory

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usa-today-9061205.0.jpg

The Green Bay receiver thinks that there's a possibility that a battery pack might have contributed to his injury a few weeks back, and we get a close look at the broadcast of the first Super Bowl.

The Green Bay Packers hold four Lombardi trophies and 13 NFL championships, so when the Super Bowl rolls around, it is no surprise to see them mentioned prominently even if they are not participating. In addition, the Packers played both of this year's Super Bowl teams, the Broncos and Panthers, in back-to-back games during the middle of the season, so their opinions of the two teams are getting some attention.

Today, we find a Packers legend being compared to one of the quarterbacks in Sunday's game and a current Packer weighing in on the differences between the two conference champions.

In addition, we are learning more and more about Super Bowl I now that the NFL aired its compiled broadcast of the game, and one of today's curds features a close look at that game. Pro Football Focus broke down that contest, and the name of the player who had the best-graded performance might surprise you.

James Jones: I truly believe Panthers' D has the edge - NFL.com
The Hoodie has been making the media rounds this week and he discussed the fact that the Packers played both Super Bowl participants back-to-back this season. Jones had one reception for two yards against Denver and two catches for 57 in Carolina.

Why Cam Newton reminds me of Brett Favre - ESPN
Matt Bowen played with Favre in Green Bay from 2001-2002, so he was able to see the Packers quarterback's energy and attitude first-hand. The attitude with which Newton plays is the biggest connection that Bowen sees between him and the soon-to-be Hall of Famer.

Grading Super Bowl I | Pro Football Focus
This is actually a rather fun exercise. According to PFF's graders, the Packers' best players in that game were a hungover Max McGee (no surprise there), left tackle Bob Skoronski, and defensive tackle Henry Jordan, who was completely unstoppable against the interior of the Chiefs' offensive line.

Peyton Manning was one of the NFL's worst quarterbacks this year, and he still might win a Super Bowl - SBNation.com
Two years after Manning deservedly won the NFL MVP award and led the Broncos to the Super Bowl, they are back this year in spite of him rather than because of him.

Randall Cobb alludes to punctured lung due to being mic'ed up | 247sports.com
Cobb was wearing a microphone with a battery pack during the Cardinals game, and he suggested that his punctured lung may have been due to the impact of the pack since he did not break any ribs.

Jake Ryan's gradual development pays off | Packersnews.com
Although the rookie linebacker did not take over as the regular starter until week 13, he ended up racking up 50 tackles while providing very good run support. He also showed that he was a sure tackler, but acknowledges that pass coverage is the biggest area where he needs to improve before year two.

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

So much for player safety. Let's put a device on them that could puncture a lung. Makes good TV.

How does a battery pack transmit the force required to puncture a lung through the rub cage without even cracking a rib? I'm really not seeing it.

He shouldn't be wearing that microphone in the first place. He spat up blood which is clear evidence that he was injured. Ban those things unless the guys are practicing.

Back