Cheese Curds, 2/23: Scouting Combine begins, Packers press conferences announced

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usa-today-8390862.0.jpg

Let the (mind) games begin!

The key decision-makers for the Green Bay Packers will be en route to Indianapolis today, if they have not already arrived. Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy, and company will be spending the next seven days meeting with draft prospects, talking with their scouting department, and scrutinizing players during their on-field drills.

We also now know when the Packers' GM and head coach will be speaking to the media this week. Both of them are scheduled to hold press conferences during the middle of the day on Thursday - Thompson will speak at 11 AM Eastern, while McCarthy will take the podium at noon. APC will be in attendance for both pressers on Thursday, and we'll bring you updates from both.

Meanwhile, we have a few items to take care of before the events at Lucas Oil Stadium begin for the media. In today's curds, we have a final look at the salary cap situation around the NFL, a look back at some critical plays in the 2015 Packers season, and a few bits and pieces on one particular position that will be heavily scouted this week.

Peak Performances of 2015: In the clutch | Packers.com
The team website lists out the top five "clutch" performances of last season. Obviously, Aaron Rodgers' hail mary heroics take two spots, while three big defensive plays from the Packers' 6-game winning streak earn consideration as well.

Seeking more from Richard Rodgers, Packers turn to Brian Angelichio - ESPN
Since Mike McCarthy said that assistant coaches are "ultimately accountable for the performance and training of their players," it's a safe bet that the head coach wasn't happy with the tight ends' development under Jerry Fontenot.

Jerell Adams ready to show off in front of Packers at Combine | 247sports.com
Adams is gradually bulking up and was nearly 250 pounds at the Senior Bowl. A competent blocker, Adams will need to show consistent hands and route-running if he wants to be a day-two pick.

Former Packers DB Mike C. McCoy dies | Packersnews.com
Our condolences go out to the family of McCoy, a 1976 draft pick who spent eight seasons with the Packers.

2016 Scouting Combine: Club Personnel Media Availability Schedule
Here's the full list of all the coaches and executives who will be speaking in Indy. Individuals with Packers connections include coaches Ben McAdoo and Doug Pederson as well as GMs John Dorsey and John Schneider.

Ted Thompson: Man of Mystery | Cheesehead TV
On the opening day of the Scouting Combine, it is worth looking at Thompson's success once again to remind us of what we have in the Packers' front office.

This is the one player your favorite NFL team has to cut - SBNation.com
"Has to cut" is a bit of a misnomer, as some teams like the Packers are in good shape. You can probably guess which name was the choice for Green Bay, though.

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

Ragland is a prospect I would not mind moving up a few spots to grab. Good run stopper, tough, and a good leader. The question is can he cover TE's and RB's. I really like the toughness and the leader part because I think we need that on defense. We don't have a big time vocal leader except for Daniels and we don't have anyone that exudes toughness.

I don't see any WR's that I like in the upper rounds so I would jump up and get Ragland, then go OT or DT. The only way I go TE in the second is if Henry is available which I doubt he will be.

Back