Capers simplifies defensive playbook, amps up speed

OK, now I'm confused. Which one of the folks above do I believe? :) Seriously, there's never a way to know for sure without a time machine and an opportunity to run the same schemes at the same opponents with different guys. However, I think the point is to adapt to the roster you have to work with and not try to keep doing your own thing, year after year.

OK, now I'm confused. Which one of the folks above do I believe? :) Seriously, there's never a way to know for sure without a time machine and an opportunity to run the same schemes at the same opponents with different guys. However, I think the point is to adapt to the roster you have to work with and not try to keep doing your own thing, year after year.
I recommend you go with your gut since you can't be persuaded anyway. Can't we just be happy that the defense has improved? We understand that Capers should have done more to fix it in the past but we don't need to DHH(, do we?

I don't care if they are better because of or in spite of Capers. The simple fact that they look better makes me CLP):):D

I think that the changes at the two ILB spots have made this team faster. The addition of Raji has made them tougher up front.

When I hear about Capers changing his verbiage, I think of something Leroy Butler said on the radio a couple of years ago when the defense was struggling. He stated that the defense didn't seem to have a basic "safe" call that they could get into if there was something confusing being done on offense. He referred to the idea that when he was playing there was a base, safe defense they could call that may not stop what the offense was showing, but was designed to cover the field in such a way as to eliminate a total blown coverage and minimize the chance of a big play. I wonder if some of Dom's simplifying was related to this. In other words, we stop calling complex defensive looks that can allow a big play and keep things simple enough that we aren't getting burned when one person misses an assignment.

I recommend you go with your gut since you can't be persuaded anyway. Can't we just be happy that the defense has improved? We understand that Capers should have done more to fix it in the past but we don't need to DHH(, do we?

I don't care if they are better because of or in spite of Capers. The simple fact that they look better makes me CLP):):D

Sorry, I thought we were all just having some fun. Ultimately, your last two sentences sum it up.

I'll answer Empty ...valid question. I think a lot of people underestimated the 1 thing AJ Hawk brought to the table. Calling the defense on the field and correctly lining people up.

He was the last guy to get it right. If you reread they really didn't change the defense so much as simplify the verbiage and calls. They took a 4 syllable call and made it 1. Going to tick a few off right here but ... if you need to hear okie... instead of okie cover 2 over slice to get a defensive call it well...oh never mind. Point is if it was an issue then yes Half Empty it coulda/woulda/shoulda been addressed earlier. sb(tc(

I seem to remember that Charles Woodson had some issues with the complexity of the defense and recommended that we needed more veterans to run Capers defense. It's too bad it took DC this long to act on that, but they are playing better and showing a little more attitude in finishing plays. When Burnett comes back I'm hoping for even more improvement.

Sometimes a horrific loss in the NFCCG will do that to a staff....I know a lot on this site were calling for this type of change for years. Whatever prompted it, I say it was about time.

Not just internet posters, but players have been calling for the same thing for years. Several key defensive players (I think going back as far as Woodson) have come right out and said to the press that the defenses were too complicated for them. Whatever it is that made it finally happen, it's about time.

Edit: Cripes, Dubz and I made the same post. It's usually Cheesedog that I do that with. Well, it just shows to go that Dubz is a very smart man!

Back