Capers: Biggest culprit was the big runs allowed

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Green Bay - The following is a summary of defensive coordinator Dom Capers' Monday press conference:

- (Opening statement) We've been a fast-starting defense. Our play style wasn't what it has been. After that first series they went down and scored on us twice. We have to look at that. We have an opponent coming up with a totally different style of offense. We have to play better against the run. We had some really good run plays. We ended up giving up five explosive runs, two of them were for touchdowns. To me, the biggest culprit was the fact they were able to break some big runs. Our goal was to disrupt Manning and get him off his spot. We know if he can step up he's got a good touch and he's got great receivers. We weren't able to do that. We ended up giving up 27 points which is the most this year. What we have to do is come back on Wednesday and go back to work. When we put our 'must" up on Wednesday we usually meet that. We did not do that on Sunday. We have to critique ourselves. We have to get back to our play style. We're playing an undefeated team with a versatile offense.
- (On last two games) Run was not a factor in the San Diego game as much. We were playing a hot quarterback. I thought we did a good job in the red zone. Last night we didn't do as good against the run. When people can do that, helps their play-action game. If they can keep either or, it's harder to disrupt the quarterback.
- (On Broncos energy) Anytime you're on the road and if the team can have success early it's the nature of the game. It's a game of momentum. That's why we talk about striking quick. Before last week we had scored 66 and given up 9 in the first quarte.r I thought we had good energy in the first series. The next series, they came out and had a 16-yard run and then hit us with a 30-yard pass. We lost Sam and then they punched the ball in. Then next series, they put together another nice series. That hasn't happened a lot to us.
- (Singling up TE) It comes to how much you stop the run. We played man in the first half and then we went to zone in the secoond half and then they started hitting behind our zones. We've played against some good tight ends.
- (On Matthews injury) Everybody knows Clay is important to us. He had to go out and play a couple of plays. I've not talked to anybody today about where he is today. I thought he came back and didn't notice a significant difference.
- (On Hayward inside) We would have played Casey inside some, but we lost Sam. Damarious went out and battled. He's just got to continue and work. We're going to need him to continue to play well.
- (On Hayward) We think Casey can play both. He has more experience inside. When we're healthy he's played inside. We've had Sam and Damarious outside. The series they scored in the first after Sam went out, Casey had to go outside. We'll have to see where we are and where he is.
- (On Jake Ryan for Palmer) You're looking for a little spark from an area. We wanted to communicate with Nate and next series we put him out there.
- (On rush on Manning) I've played against Peyton enough that I know what he can do. When he got it out we were going with a five-man pressure. He wasn't going to let that beat him. If he can get in a rhythm... they have a talented team. Two good receivers, very good after the catch.
- (On run defense) I'm confident we can play good run defense. Most of it is guys getting out of a gap. That happens in this scheme, they're a sideways, cutting team. You have to play with a high tempo. I give them credit. They got going early.
- (On Raji, Perry, etc... snap counts) Good first step. Hopefully made it through and will feel better and we can increase that.

Continue reading...

"It wasn't anyone's fault, it was just something that happened, everything is fine."

Got it. Thanks.

Other than the big passes, yes, the big runs were the problem. Yikes!

Capers you're biggest fault is that you have not changed your defensive scheme in 20+ years and everyone has it figured out.

10 days ago in shout and in threads it was praise for this defense having the best points allowed in the league now the jynch mob is out after 1 week. How many games did the defense bail out this team? Where ideserved bashing of thev22nd ranked pass offense? Did raji or Daniels even show up? What about ripping Hayward for awful technique? Did peppers even breath on Manning? Time to hold the players accountable

Agreed pack.

Even if we would have stopped the run, I don't think that would have mattered. We still would have given up a ton of pass yardage.

I don't want to speak for everyone else; however, I think people are frustrated because Capers and MM continue to not take accountability at all. They say, "schemes are good, just didn't execute." I get that but when you get beat down this badly the coaches need to take some accountability that they weren't prepared and did not make proper adjustments during the game but they aren't. That is an issue in my book.

Schemes were not bad. Not saying there could have been better schemes but Capers didn't allow Thomas to run free in the middle of the field all night. Capers didn't miss any tackles. Guys were out of position all night similar to the Bear game.

Schemes were not bad. Not saying there could have been better schemes but Capers didn't allow Thomas to run free in the middle of the field all night. Capers didn't miss any tackles. Guys were out of position all night similar to the Bear game.

But a coach cannot stick with a scheme his players can't handle. That will always fail, 100% of the time.

This kind of thing annoys me because it throws the players under the bus. Even if it's true, speak as a team. Don't say "my plan was fine it was everyone else who failed". Because like I just said. Sticking with a scheme your players can't handle is a failure of coaching as much as it's a failure of the players.

Take Pete Carroll. Did he throw his players under the bus for that last INT in the SB? Nope. The play call would have worked 9 out of 10 times. yet Butler made a spectacular play. But Carroll didn't spend his time afterward saying that the call was fine and it was bad execution.

Last edited:
I agree CD but at the same time the D couldn't cover receivers in man or zone Sunday night and the dline missed way to many tackles to think a scheme change would have made a difference. I am not saying Capers MM or Clement are perfect but they can't scheme guys into tackling or playing good cover. I put more blame on the offensive schemes than defensive. Every pass play had too much depth in the routes. Changes should have been made there for sure.

Back