Bye Week Blues

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Another year and another bye-week blues thread for your Sunday off.

So GB through 5 games? My thoughts right now today are the following bullets, random. Feel free to share yours.

Let's start with defense. It's still a group that tends to underperform at inopportune moments. The scheme is the same dingleberry mess we have seen for a while. I stick to my statement from earlier in the week, he's hindered by poor personnel in the backside of his defense, some through injury others because we need the ST player.

Not making excuses for the dingleberry D, but something to factor in. They have to stay consistent and get turnovers for this team to have any chance at winning ballgames

Offensively, it's a mess. That OL isn't keeping pressure off of Love and they have a hard time blocking anything in the outside zone game. Bad feet and weak hands will not get it done on the line. Without Jones at RB the Packers really have no one, that's inexcusable and it falls on Gute and personal.

Our WR are young, tend to run sloppy routes, and have dropped balls when we needed the big catch, again fall on personnel to add better talent. Musgrave has shown flashes but both he and Kraft are playing like rookies and the NFL speed is giving them fits.

Love, I can't even start to grade him because the above factors don't really allow it. All the raw talent is there. I agree with the two former QB who chimed in and said the game is too fast etc right now. Sitting behind a HOF QB is fine and dandy but being the starter week in and out and getting reps is how they fix his issues. My own opinion is they need to go get a better QB coach off-season that better fits his temperament.

ST, The kicker so far is the bright spot. Stupid penalties and dumb decisions are still the norm. The high-paid Italian guru made very little difference, leaving only personal and that same bunch of dopes as the culprits here. That is a redundant theme it seems.

Coaching, again I can't even start to grade this. Lost the starting LT and LG, Lost the starting CB for 3 weeks, Starting RB has played little to none. The list grows from there. Fully healthy this team could be 4-1. I think it's very hard to game plan vs a Vegas when you had Jones in all week only to pull him the day before, and it seems that has been the case all year to some extent.

Dingleberry, is who he is. I see his time ending after the year unless something crazy happens.

Honestly, we take this team week by week. One week they may play lights out the next, well you saw it in Vegas. I wouldn't get very worked up about things, this is 100% a rebuild and swallow-the-cap year. See who fits and who doesn't and add pieces off-season.

okay, that's just my random babble. Hit me with yours!

Last edited:
This is the youngest team in the NFL. I think we all expected to much from this team in the off-season. I thought this maybe could be a 8 or 9 win team. In reality it is probably closer to a 6 win team. Injuries to key players have take a toll on this team. Not having Jones to be a weapon for Love has hindered his play making him have to pass all the time and he's still learning not to stare down his WR making it easier for the DB to pick it off. The OL has little talent on it. Bak was what we thought he was. Which was a guy who just can't stay healthy anymore. Then losing your second best OL in Jenkins was no help either. Jones is a weapon at RB but he also is what he is a guy who seems to miss some games every year with some kind of injury and Dillon has regressed it seems and anyone else at RB is a JAG. WR right now it's safe to say IMO that all these guys are also JAG no one has stepped up to show yet they are going to be a future star for the team. On defense it still is the same ole same ole. Barry can't and won't change his coaching style to fit the players we have. Our DB's our a mess and can't stop anyone if they get into the secondary.

I don't see much improving after the bye week. This team will still have it's struggles. It's all what we do after the season. From the top down we will need Gute to find better players, ML to find a better staff, and for the players to continue to develop and become what they can be. This is likely going to be 2-3 more years of this. Even more so if you bring in a new DC with a new system as you likely won't see instant returns on it overnight. But we all knew what this team was going to be and it's just having to accept and deal with it as fans.

The team is what it is. My biggest issue is it didn’t have to be this way. If Gutey was a better and more balanced in the draft some of these issues (poor OL depth, lack of talent depth at WR and RB, ST….) wouldn’t been such an issue. It he overloaded DEF and it didn’t pay off. So now the team suffers because of it.

These issues were apparent before Arod left. That’s the frustrating part.

As for Love and the team. It won’t bother me if they only win 5 games this year. Next year is where we will see what they are really made of once they can start digging out of the hole Gutey put them in.

Agree with 99% of that. The one thing I struggle with on the coaching front is that it doesn't seem like ML does a great job adapting his play calling to the team he has on the field. He tends to get "too cute" with his play calling at times, like I believe he did early in the Detroit game. Then in the Raider game, over compensating and being too run heavy early, although at least he adjusted the run calls to be runs that fit Dillon better. I thought they needed to take a deep shot early in the first half just to get the Vegas defense to adjust to that threat, but as bad as that OL was, I get that's hard too.

-bad OL
-inexperienced QB
-inexperienced WRs
-RB1 not healthy
-Defense that continues to disappoint.. shows flashes of brilliance, then reverts to frustrating play calling and execution

What should that mean for expectations?? What it means for my expectations is that I don't have many. I want to see meaningful progress over the season, but understand with this particular set of circumstances, it may be less progress than I was hoping for. IMO, it's not really even fair to evaluate JL, he's in a position where it's almost impossible to be successful. BUT, I continue to remain hopeful and look forward to the next game to see what they are able to figure out. They really IMO have 2 years where expectations will be low because of the cap situation rather than the 1 year that I was hoping for (because of Bakhtiari contract)

WR right now it's safe to say IMO that all these guys are also JAG no one has stepped up to show yet they are going to be a future star for the team.

From the top down we will need Gute to find better players

i see a big disconnect between those two statements. expecting gute to find better players is like expecting a blind squirrel to find more acorns. sure the blind squirrel can find the occasional acorn, but not very many. since 2018, gute has drafted 10 wide receivers and four tight ends. how many can we truly say should be starters? are any of the wrs worthy of being a #1? i fear that this team will not get any better (player personnel-wise) until gute is gone.

Next year is where we will see what they are really made of once they can start digging out of the hole Gutey put them in.
can't really see that happening next year honestly. not unless gute gets a whole heckuva lot better at his job. and of course there's always the thought that it's actually murphy pulling the strings and gute is just a willing puppet. regardless, i think we're stuck with both of them for another two years.

What we're seeing is what I expected. We had no depth coming in for the offensive line. Counting on Bakh and Jenkins wasn't an enviable option, and there just plain isn't any depth behind them to pick up the slack when they aren't in the lineup. Then there's the musical chairs played by the rest of the linemen, as the coaches try to figure out who would be best, of what's left, and where they could play.

Those problems, along with an inexperienced QB, WRs, and TEs, was going to add to the troubles. The only thing in their arsenal that would even work moderately would be the short passes, under 10 yards, thereby allowing the defense to draw up on the line of scrimmage, and be instrumental against the run because of their proximity to the line of scrimmage.

How good or bad is the defense? I think they are poorly coached. The coaching staff seems to fail in assessing play based on down-and-distance situations.That said, I have to admit I've been somewhat surprised at how well they've actually played this year, without an offense that's functional.

I see next Sunday as do or die for GB. If they can not go in and beat Denver. Heads will need to roll.

Why? GB roster is really no better than Denver’s. If they lose it’s not like losing to a vastly inferior team.
I think GB is a better team then Denver. I feel it's a team they can and should beat. If not for Chicago imploding Denver would not have a win.

Back