Battle for Packers' 5th receiver spot heating up

Let's have a reality check here ( pun not intended RB)

Nelson, Cobb and Adams are our starters and as good if not better then anyone. Montgomery is trending #4 but he's a rookie. Janis, Abby, White will be 5/6 and in the past those guys just don't play much. ( See Janis last year)

Now as to the Whole Janis argument gentleman I think you should look deeper.... http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...struggling-in-camp-b99555431z1-321698201.html

Wide receiverJeff Janishasn't made the performance jump that the Green Bay Packers hoped he would in his second training camp.

Still, Janis is far ahead of where he was a rookie when a bout with shingles sidelined him for the first 1½ weeks of camp and the exhibition opener.

A seventh-round draft choice from Saginaw Valley State, Janis made the team with one breathtaking touchdown in St. Louis and two more dynamic long gains in Kansas City.

Janis made progress in the off-season, often filling in for injured Jordy Nelson with the No. 1 offense. But Nelson's back now, and Janis hasn't been able to sustain his momentum in the first 10 practices.

[BCOLOR=#ffff00]"With Jeff, it's the consistency," saidAlex Van Pelt, who coaches the wide receivers and quarterbacks.[/BCOLOR]

On Tuesday, Janis caught a 5-yard touchdown pass when cornerbackDemetri Goodsonfell down in coverage. Then, he beatQuinten Rollinsto the post but seemed to gear down forScottTolzien's well-thrown bomb, and the ball skimmed off his extended hands.

Janis also appeared to push off cornerbackSam Shieldson another touchdown catch in the corner.

A physical specimen at 6 foot 3 inches and 219 pounds, Janis looks like Nelson's clone but can't sink his hips and maneuver in close quarters like the team's star. At times, he looks to be a straight-line speed receiver.

"He's a big guy so some of the routes cater to him," Van Pelt said. "Some of the routes we run where there's a lot of sudden change in movements, they just don't fit the bigger players.

"Not to say that he's not a great vertical threat and can run the post and hook. It's just the build of the body."

Janis dominated the Division II Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, where cornerbacks get on the field with 4.65 to 4.7-second 40s.

The Packers have worked with Janis to be more physical in escaping press-man coverage from much speedier cornerbacks, and there's tape of him doing exactly that.

"He has days where you come out there and say, 'Man, he's just throwing guys around,'" Van Pelt said. "Because he's being physical and using his strength. That's what you like to see."

Then, there was a rep in one-on-one's Aug. 7 where a strong safety,Morgan Burnett, prevented Janis from releasing in the bump zone and rode him into an incompletion.

Beyond the big three ofRandall Cobb,Davante Adamsand Nelson, rookieTy Montgomeryand third-year manMyles Whitehave outperformed Janis. Their reception totals in team drills might be double or even triple Janis'.

In addition, Janis has dropped more than his share of passes.
"I'd say he's not a confident catcher, a snatcher, right now," Van Pelt. "He's doing a lot of body catching."

Offensive coordinatorEdgar Bennett, however, pointed out that it's difficult to evaluate players before game competition.

So, Janis will try to break out starting Thursday night in the exhibition opener against the New England Patriots at Gillette Stadium.

As advertised:Inside linebackerJake Ryan, a fourth-round draft choice, enters the exhibition season grouped withNate Palmer,Joe ThomasandCarl Bradfordas the leading backups behindClay MatthewsandSam Barrington.

"(Ryan) has been very solid," saidScott McCurley, the assistant linebackers coach who works with the inside linebackers at practice.

"He's going to come along and be a productive player for us. He's doing a great job with his assignments and calls. Getting people lined up. Taking control."

Besides starting on the strong side, Barrington has been a fixture in both the nickel and dime defenses.

"He loves the game," McCurley said. "He likes the challenge. He likes to lead.

"He feels confident in his control, and the guys around him feel his presence. They're confident in the calls he makes."

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Janis did go against their #1 cb and he did smoke him and it was a nice throw and catch. If a safety was suppose to give help, and didnt, then he screwed up. It doesnt take away the fact Janis beat the QB for a nice catch and td.

Janis had a decent game and White did not. However it was the 1st pre-season game, and we will see how they do in the remaining 3 games. They have had decent camps, so game production is what will separate who stays and who dont. I think both White and Janis may make the team as I feel they go with 3 TEs and 6 WRs.
Janus ran a simple go route. With no press coverage. The CB let him go expecting help. Janis is still raw.

Bottom line here.....there are some that for whatever reason flat out dont like Janis and no matter what he does or how well he does will try to find a way to rip on him. Its been like that for other players in the past as well, Janis just happens to be in that spot now.

And of course that sb just let him go,,, there is no way Janis could of gotten past him or beat him otherwise.

44blitz settles that argument ..... his consistency and routes and he body snatchs per his position coach. So it would appear scoremore that Jblood scouting report was spot on.

44blitz settles that argument ..... his consistency and routes and he body snatchs per his position coach. So it would appear scoremore that Jblood scouting report was spot on.

You are correct, of course..............nobody elses opinion matters on the subject..........I will refrain from making any more posts on the subject.

The Packers have worked with Janis to be more physical in escaping press-man coverage from much speedier cornerbacks, and there's tape of him doing exactly that.

"He has days where you come out there and say, 'Man, he's just throwing guys around,'" Van Pelt said. "Because he's being physical and using his strength. That's what you like to see."

Then, there was a rep in one-on-one's Aug. 7 where a strong safety,Morgan Burnett, prevented Janis from releasing in the bump zone and rode him into an incompletion.

Yup teams are going to use that safety over and take him away. Right now Janis is my #5 WR but he needs a year to learn and get polished.

White runs better routes can't finish the catch. Abby is going to the PS. Big gap after that.

You are correct, of course..............nobody elses opinion matters on the subject..........I will refrain from making any more posts on the subject.
No the WR coach for GB settled it .. he provided his strengths and weakness. EVERY player has them. Not sure what is about Janis that gets you people so almighty bent out of shape.

ps I have Janis making the roster so you can stop with the hater stuff

Bottom line here.....there are some that for whatever reason flat out dont like Janis and no matter what he does or how well he does will try to find a way to rip on him. Its been like that for other players in the past as well, Janis just happens to be in that spot now.

And of course that sb just let him go,,, there is no way Janis could of gotten past him or beat him otherwise.

It's not hating Janis. It's the reality of where he is. A raw WR route wise with speed.

Bottom line it was blown coverage. It' had nothing to do if I like the guy or not.

Yup teams are going to use that safety over and take him away. Right now Janis is my #5 WR but he needs a year to learn and get polished.

White runs better routes can't finish the catch. Abby is going to the PS. Big gap after that.
Agree with that assessment

Right now as it stands I don't cut Rip, a promising CB Gunter or Goodson or any other position of strength to keep six WR

Now since you want to speak on facts... let's go to school shall we. That pats D was playing cover 2 man over... Safety was supposed to come and help and blew it. Great read by Tolzien but don't you dare start saying it was "a great WR play" it was a busted coverage.

while it may be true that the safety "blew it", that has zero to do with the fact that janis blew right past the cornerback that is projected to be the pats best corner. zero. maybe less than zero.

Rodgers talked about his routes and trust extensively in the off season...

old news.

Also MM says nice things about all his players regardless...
i might agree that he almost never says anything negative. but in general, he doesn't make up nice things to say. instead, he says nothing if he has nothing nice to say. i do not believe that mike mccarthy would say that a player was ready to play unless that player was ready to play. he's far more likely to take the conservative view than stick his neck out. [/QUOTE]

Bottom line ... GBp4 has an opinion as do you. Let's not belittle anyones viewpoint.

you're absolutely right. he has a right to state his opinion. he doesn't have the right to state opinion as fact and to make up stuff to support his opinion. at least that's the way i see it.

Back