Badgers vs UW-MKE

TW

Reaction score
Interesting game. Watching Potter develop as a force on the floor was great. Not exactly sure what's happened with a few players' roles on the floor, but it looks like they have either decided to quit shooting, or have been told they should look for the open man more often. I'm watching Davison & Pritzl disappear in the stats. Of course neither are shooting that high of a percentage, but I think that's more to do with taking fewer shots, and not getting in the flow of the game quite so much.

I feel like we're watching paint "partially dry," but it's not going to ever get there because of humidity. They linger on the fringe of being a respectable team, but don't seem to have what it takes to get better.

I honestly don't see the growth I expected from several players.

What I really liked seeing was Potter showing some fire, with the jams. Even when he missed. We need more intensity out there, as long as it's properly challenged. Gard is too stone faced. We need to seem him light it up with his players, and officials, once in a while.

I think we have less than a 50% chance of making the NCAA Tournament. I'm kind of wondering where this will all lead, next year. Not confident that Gard can boost them. Not throwing him under the bus yet. Just not confident. Hoping Crowl and Carlson grow some, to get near 7'. We need size.

Not concerned about Pritzl, he’s the best deep shooter on the roster and can give a boost off the bench. Now Davison I am not sure what’s up with him. Possible that the new “flopping” rule is in his head or the shoulder and ankle is not right but something is wrong.

Milwaukee was crazy in the first half, shot 70% from 3 and 3 were banked in on prayers. All that said this is a tournament team. And Gard is not the issue. What this team needs is guys to be more consistent especially on the road (Davison) and Potter helps the rotation so much. Wahl will get better with minutes and Anderson is not 100%. Hope King is ok, if he’s out that’s a big issue

Not impressed with Anderson. Okay, but not impressive. Potter is impressive. I'm worried about King too. That's a big role to fill.

I just don't see them being consistent enough to win enough games on the road to be picked for the tournament. If they get in, it's going to be because they worked their rears off to improve. Right now, they may not be more than 9th or 10th best in the conference, if that.

I just don't like what I'm seeing from Davison out there to be honest. Something is wrong, and I don't think it's physical. I have a hunch it's a mental issue, and dates back to his freshman year. He was our outside game, and the man when it came to key outside shots.

Now we get to watch Trice dribble the clock out while he surveys which area of the court he wants to throw up a desperate shot from, as if nobody on the team can shoot except him. You'd think that when you're in a 3 for 20 run on 3s, that the coach would suggest moving the damned ball around and letting someone else give it a shot too.

Regardless of what anyone thinks, I don't believe Trice is nearly as good as what Gard seems to think he is. As far as who can replace him at the point? I don't see anyone at this time. Anyhow, no matter what, Gard will ride his game.

He reminds me of a guy who was on my HS team. He'd throw up over half our shots during games because the coach decided he was a great player. We started a season losing the first 6 by wide margins, and him throwing up bricks. Early in the 7th game he twisted badly an ankle and ended up unable to play. We won that game and went on to win 4 more in a row before he came back. When he got back, the coach went back to the old game, and we proceeded to lose the rest of our game, and blown out by a team we'd beaten by over 20, in the first round of state tournament play.

I see a lot of him in Trice to be honest. Just my opinion, believe what you'd like.

They changed the flop rule this year and I think it’s in his head, Davison. His offense fed off his defense and he looks timid out there. As to Trice he’s not a true point. Never was. I know it sound minimal but Strickland transfer hurts more than I thought, is he an elite point no but would have helped. Bowman should fit that role down the road. This group historically is not a bad shooting team. They get open looks.

Here is the big thing from the game. They won by 19 with UWM playing like the GS Warriors in in the 1st half shooting 70% from 3 and banking in 3’s from the wing with contested defense and King held scoreless. And games before the holiday, students on break are just difficult to get up for. I thought they played very well. Like I have said this is not a poor shooting team and shots will fall. I can see 11-7 in conference as realistic and with schedules strength they get in the tournament

I'd gladly take 11-7 in conference. We're definitely not moving forward. If anything, this team is regressing. I only see one real recruit for next year that really interests me all that much. Five kids, two out of LaCrosse, two out of Minnesota, and one out of Michigan. They're not tossing a wide net. It's more like fishing with a single line. Of them, four were recruited by Krabby & Gard, the 5th by Oliver & Gard. See anything wrong with this picture? Where's the Chicago, or other big city influence? Nobody who's raised their games by having skinned knees on concrete. Those kids play for something special, and usually are something special. I'm not in the slightest bit convinced that they're too dumb to make it at the U.

I'd gladly take 11-7 in conference. We're definitely not moving forward. If anything, this team is regressing. I only see one real recruit for next year that really interests me all that much. Five kids, two out of LaCrosse, two out of Minnesota, and one out of Michigan. They're not tossing a wide net. It's more like fishing with a single line. Of them, four were recruited by Krabby & Gard, the 5th by Oliver & Gard. See anything wrong with this picture? Where's the Chicago, or other big city influence? Nobody who's raised their games by having skinned knees on concrete. Those kids play for something special, and usually are something special. I'm not in the slightest bit convinced that they're too dumb to make it at the U.
And the class is ranked 8th nationally. Which I am perfectly fine with. The last 5 years or so Chicago Pub Schools have not produced much. Only 2 kids in Top 100 and 1 is going to Duke. What Chicago kids did Ryan bring in? Nobody. Biggest name outside of the state I can recall was Hayes and he was a 3 star kid. Hell Howard Moore who I respect the hell of and his Chicago ties could not develop a pipeline.

For years Wisconsin has recruited to its system. People forget Kaminsky was a 3 star recruit. So was Harris. Perception is reality and kids want to play in more uptempo systems. I do not think that’s a valid perception but that’s a different discussion.
And it’s that not changing anytime soon if ever. UW is not going to pony up and pay a HC $4m per year in hoops. Gard gets a bad rap for missing the dance but he was without Trice, King , Davison due to injuries and Reuvers was not near ready and should have RS. Hell 3 walk on’s played important minutes.
Would I like another FF hell yes but that talent was a perfect storm

EDIT/Viewpoint: the Chicago issue or for that matter any big city is directly the issue of the AAU influences and to some extent shoe companies “guiding” kids to certain programs. I remember Izzo basically saying to hell with it when Jabari Parker went to Duke over MSU. It’s not an even playing field

Last edited:
They have a really nice class coming in 2020, but I don't think we should get "too" excited about them. It might have been the #8 class once but things have changed and will continue to change. It'll be a mid-to-high teens type class when all is said and done. It's a nice group that should take this team back up a notch in Big-10 play.

It addresses every position so should provide help for years to come. It's weird how the recruiting classes shape up for UW. One big class followed by 2 little classes, followed by a big one again. A little better balance would be good. That said, with Trice, Ford, Potter, Davison and Reuvers all graduating in 2021 there will be plenty of open scholarships for the 2021 class as well. I'm kinda hoping they split that up a little and only take 2-3 in 2021 and leave a couple open to use for 2022 when the only player leaving should be King.

They already have 3 four star kids committed for 2021 Mors Hepburn and Hodges. I know it’s a long shot but they are keeping 1 in case Baldwin signs. And good chance Roper a 4 star shooting guard signs. 2022 they are in on Heide a 5 star kid from Minnesota. In a perfect world I would like a balanced class but if the talent is there lock them up.

Agree completely though I'm not ready to count on those 2021 guys just yet. Nice commits and probably all solid, but at one time Tyler Herro was on board as well and that went south. If one of the 2021 kids really blows up things could change.

I'd be fine just standing pat with those 3 guys for 2021 and leaving an open schollie for Baldwin, though I don't see him as anything more than a slim possibility. If he doesn't commit and the other 3 stay committed, just stop there and call it a nice class unless another really high level kid is an option (like Roper). Don't just fill the class up with a couple more so-so guys just because you have the room.

Back