Badgers Skunked in Big Ten’s Official Player of the Year Awards

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
Vince Biegel and T.J. Watt have immediate NFL futures, same with the likes of left tackle Ryan Ramczyk and running back. But you likely wouldn’t know it from the 2016 Big Ten football awards handed out over the past two days.

Watt, who was a big favorite in some circles for both Linebacker of the Year and Defensive Player of the Year won neither. Same with Ramczyk, whom many scouts believe is a first-round NFL draft pick and easily the best tackle in the Big Ten this season.

Instead, it was Michigan’s much-hyped linebacker/returner/wildcat quarterback Jabrill Peppers winning both the defensive awards and Ohio State center Pat Elflein winning Offensive Lineman of the Year.

Let’s just say the Big Ten’s awards were a far cry from some of the other media awards put out there. Over at talking10, Watt was the pick of the staff voters for Linebacker and Defensive Player of the Year, while Ramczyk also took home Offensive Lineman of the Year.

Things were a bit brighter when All-Big Ten awards were handed out. Wisconsin had four offensive players make All-Big Ten teams, with Clement and Ramczyk named to the first team and right guard Beau Benzschawel along with tight end Troy Fumagalli named to the second team by the coaches.

Clement could only muster second-team honors from the media, while Benzschawel and Fumagalli were on the third team.

Meanwhile, Wisconsin’s top-rated defense fared about the same in terms of individual all-conference honors. T.J. Watt was the only member of the coaches first-team, while fellow linebacker Vince Biegel was picked to the second team along with Sojourn Shelton. Perhaps most interesting was the love for Wisconsin on the third team, as defensive lineman Conor Sheehy was picked by the coaches and Biegel, Leo Musso an D’Cota Dixon were picked by the media.

No seriously, Vince Biegel was no better than third-team All-Big Ten according to some in the media. The exact same criminal underrating of his play as last season and his sophomore year in 2014 too.

Talk about ridiculous for a guy who racked up 55 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, 9.5 sacks and had one interception, one defensive touchdown and 10 quarterback hurries. Julius Peppers? Let’s let Eleven Warriors do the talking…

Here's how Jabrill Peppers, the Big Ten's DPOY, ranks in league stats:
Tackes: 32nd
Sacks: 34th
TFL: 4th
Interceptions: 35th

— Eleven Warriors (@11W) November 29, 2016

Sure, he had more raw tackle numbers and two more tackles for loss, but Peppers wasn’t a sack machine and for a former cornerback his one interception certainly seems lacking. Oh, and the video evidence from 11W was pretty compelling to.

I mean did you ever see Watt getting turned around on a play to the weakside? Chances are Watt was either the one making the tackle or the one blowing the play up until the calvary arrived behind him (and that was usually pretty quick).

So, congrats on missing out on those award winners Big Ten. We’re guessing Vince Biegel and Co. aren’t going to have any more personal motivation in this Big Ten championship game, but if they needed it, the voters just gave it to them.

b.gif

Continue reading...

I hope this slight turns into a chip on a lot of shoulders, and we see it play out Saturday night, against Penn State. Nothing would be nicer than seeing them tear up the field and force the bowl selection committee to take a deep breath, and add them to the top 4.

Peppers is an outstanding athlete, and will have a future on Sunday, but DPOY?

That guy was the weak link of the Michigan front 7. His stats were puffed up because teams figured it out about halfway through the season that they should run right at the undersized guy playing the OLB spot in a 4-3

I think the Peppers hype comes from the athleticism and versatility which makes him intriguing. Bottom line though, he's not theatgood a LB and it'll be interesting to see how he converts to the NFL. (Fit's some schemes, but not all, and might be reduced to situational duty unless he becomes better against the run.)

I don't really get the Benzshawel selection for second team. Maybe I'm being selective in my memory, but he seemed like the 4th best lineman for UW. Too many critical missed blocks from what I saw, but again, maybe I'm over-emphasizing a handful of plays.

The other part of this that might be at work is that both Watt and Ramczyk are "new" this year as starters and difference makers and both are juniors who might play another year. Sometimes voters award things more on accomplishments over multiple seasons even the the award is for player of "the year". Voters may think they can just give Watt and Ramczyk their accolades next year. Unfortunately, it's becoming more likely that both Ramczyk and Watt will move on to the NFL next year.

Reactions: TW
Peppers was hyped from day one. Watt was not. The only stat that Peppers had better numbers was tackles. He racked up 11 more tackles than Watt. Watt had more passes defended and far more sacks. They had the same number of Tackles for loss and Interceptions.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tj-watt-1.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jabrill-peppers-1.html

Peppers probably didn't get thrown at very much either so that would impact his passes defended and Int numbers.

Peppers is a great player and an impact player. His impact on the defense had to be taken into account. I don't think it is that much of a slight to Watt for Peppers getting the award. I do think the fact that Peppers played both sides of the ball influenced the decision.

Reactions: TW
Peppers is one of those enigmas of a guy with so much athletic ability, and does very well at so many things, but isn't overwhelming in any of them. A lot of teams, including Wisconsin, have thrived on getting these kids into their programs because what they bring to the school is versatility.

Every year, when we watch the Heisman bit, we're pretty certain the winner will be another QB who runs an option read, or some other offense that makes them multi-dimensional. The pro type QB isn't respected. Neither is the game manager. It's all about being so versatile.

Of course, most of these guys are failures at the next level because they aren't good enough to be RBs, fast enough to be WRs, big enough to be TEs, and often lack the skills needed to play safety or CB. Once in a while, one will surprise, and when they do, they're pretty darned good. As far as being a QB, which they were in college, total failures in almost every case. I know. You can point out a couple who have some success, but really, who has for the long term?

I see both Watt & Biegel ending up playing in the NFL for extended periods of time. I see Peppers having to go to the right team for him to be of any value, and that will probably be somewhat limited, despite his athleticism.

Peppers is one of those enigmas of a guy with so much athletic ability, and does very well at so many things, but isn't overwhelming in any of them. A lot of teams, including Wisconsin, have thrived on getting these kids into their programs because what they bring to the school is versatility.

Every year, when we watch the Heisman bit, we're pretty certain the winner will be another QB who runs an option read, or some other offense that makes them multi-dimensional. The pro type QB isn't respected. Neither is the game manager. It's all about being so versatile.

Of course, most of these guys are failures at the next level because they aren't good enough to be RBs, fast enough to be WRs, big enough to be TEs, and often lack the skills needed to play safety or CB. Once in a while, one will surprise, and when they do, they're pretty darned good. As far as being a QB, which they were in college, total failures in almost every case. I know. You can point out a couple who have some success, but really, who has for the long term?

I see both Watt & Biegel ending up playing in the NFL for extended periods of time. I see Peppers having to go to the right team for him to be of any value, and that will probably be somewhat limited, despite his athleticism.

Totally aisagree on Peppers. He was a Top 10 national recruit. He had his choice of schools. Not the type of kid Wisconsin recruits. His game at the next level projects to Tyraan Matthew, the Honey Badger. Probably missed on the spelling. He's playing out of position at Michigan but many guts play out of position at the D1 level.

The question I ask is, what position? A jack of all trades, possibly a master of none? I don't believe that of Peppers. I think he could make a serviceable nickel back. He's capable of coming down on the field and despite being only about 205#, makes some bone jarring tackles. I just don't think he matches the hype of a guy who can do it all like they're saying in college. He's the defensive equivalent of the QBs we see constantly winning the Heisman, then ending up on the outside looking in, with one difference. Lots of hype. It doesn't match the skill set.

I'm in awe of Tyrann Mathieu. 5-9, less than 190#. Dynamite in a small package. He only ran the 40 in about 4.5 but he's a smart football player who can see the whole field, and make plays because he plays smart, and uses leverage. He plays like he is five inches taller, and 35# heavier. Honey Badger is a good reference for him. His drawback is his history with weed. It's like a ticking time-bomb. I hope he stays clean.

I don't see Peppers anything like that. Sorry. For openers, he's several inches taller, over 25# heavier, and quite honestly isn't nearly as instinctive as Tyrann.

But, like I said, there is a role for Peppers in the NFL, but don't expect him to be a big time player. He might even fight to make it onto the field with a lot of teams.

I think Peppers plays strong safety in the NFL. And the fact that he is taller and heavier is an advantage for him. He's got very good range, physical and a sure tackler. I would be shocked if he's not a top 10-15 pick

If the Packers take him I would crap my pants. Just don't see him in round one. Tebow of the 2017 draft IMO.

Back