Badgers repeat beatdown of Miami

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
All the talk heading in to the Pinstripe Bowl was about the Miami Hurricanes top-ranked defense — just like last year. Just like last year, the Wisconsin Badgers took it to the Hurricanes and its defense was the star of the day in a 35-3 beatdown of Miami. UW forced five turnovers and turned two in-a-row in the second half to take a 28-3 lead. The Badgers defense also held Miami to just 121 yards...

Source

Continue reading...

If you would have told me that the Badgers would put up 35 but still not hit the over...

Yup, no way I saw that coming. After that lame effort against Minny, I am completely surprised that UW was definitely the more prepared team. The weird thing was that QB play was one major difference. Not because Coan was all that good, but rather because Miami's QB play was down right atrocious.

Coan was just OK at best. Some good throws and some really bad ones. That INT was just a dumb throw. The missed TD near the end of the first half was another - three open receivers but the throw goes to the guy that is covered like a blanket. He made up his mind where he was going to throw it before the ball was snapped. He never even looked at the wide open guys on his left. Hopefully they can coach that out of him before next year because Horni might be done and Mertz might not be ready, so they may have to roll with Coan next year.

All in all, a really nice effort especially by a maligned defensive unit.

Coan was just OK at best. Some good throws and some really bad ones.

the dude was barely adequate. he only threw 11 passes in the whole game and one was to the other team. lord help us if that's the guy we are going to rely on next year.

Tomaito, tomahto, rb. We don't really know because they only had him throw 11 passes as you say. He was clearly more mobile and athletic than Horni and made some plays with his legs as well, which counts as part of the evaluation in my eyes, especially at the college level.

Would have been interesting to see what he would have done had he been forced to throw more. Does he throw 2 more interceptions if he puts it up 30 times, or two more TDs, or both. The sample size is so small that it's hard to describe what his impact really was as a passer. Hard to know what his impact will be if he's given a bigger role. Could be "lord help us" or maybe he'd be good enough to hold the position and win 8 games next year. I think 2019 will be another somewhat down season before things rebound in 2020.

For me personally, I'd like to see a better starting QB, but there may not be a choice. I just know I feel better about having him for a season than either of the Miami guys I saw yesterday.

Coan is a more mobile Mike Samuel or Scott Kavanagh. At best you have a game manager. As pointed out you have a small sample size so spring practice will tell us more a lot. Schedule is not easy but having NW, Michigan types at home help. Way way way to early to predict 2019

Nobody has mentioned the way our defense came out of the gate. A solid game plan intent on stopping Miami cold.

As for QB, that's up in the air, but you have to admit that the running game was awesome, and the offensive line dominated what was considered a decent defense for Miami.

I'll wait until next fall before I have any idea where we go from here. I want to see exactly who is, and isn't in camp, and doing well.

Sure the run game was great but Miami was without Willis who is a dominate DT and Joseph left after one series, and Diaz has checked out. Miami on offense also was without its #1 WR (Thomas) and Rozier has regressed. I thought they would win this one but not by 32. Miami is just not good, got blown out by LSU and the ACC was about as weak as the Pac 12. Nice win but consider that it also looked like Miami checked out down 14, similar to what they did vs UW in 2009 in the Champs Bowl

This from Bobby Carpenter on Twitter ..played with OSU and Dallas

This Wisky v. Miami game feels a lot like the matchup from the Champs Sports Bowl from 2009... It was 40 degrees in Orlando and Wisky rushed it for 170 yds and beat a better Miami team that was more concerned w/staying by the heater.
Now they get sent to play in NYC

Sure the run game was great but Miami was without Willis who is a dominate DT and Joseph left after one series, and Diaz has checked out. Miami on offense also was without its #1 WR (Thomas) and Rozier has regressed. I thought they would win this one but not by 32. Miami is just not good, got blown out by LSU and the ACC was about as weak as the Pac 12. Nice win but consider that it also looked like Miami checked out down 14, similar to what they did vs UW in 2009 in the Champs Bowl

Obviously, no matter what the Badgers do, you tend to chalk it up to the opposition having injuries. You have totally ignored that the Badgers have had a lot of injuries themselves, and it has hamstrung the defense. Even our starting QB was a no-go for this game.

Back