Andrew Quarless sentenced to 1 year of probation in Florida, NFL discipline could follow

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usa-today-8730689.0.jpg

The Packers tight end pleas no contest to charges.

The legal proceedings surrounding Andrew Quarless have finally concluded. According to ESPN's Rob Demovsky, a Florida court has sentenced the Green Bay Packers tight end to a year of probation and fined him $1,000 for firing his gun in Miami Beach on July 4. Quarless must also attend an anger management course and weapons safety course in addition to forfeiting his firearm.

Quarless' trial was set to begin Monday, but he elected to enter a plea of no contest to avoid a more serious punishment.

With the matter resolved in the eyes of the state of Florida, Quarless could now face NFL discipline. As Demovsky notes, the league suspended Green Bay teammate Letroy Guion for three games after his Florida case also resulted in a fine and probation.

A suspension would further delay a return for Quarless, who practiced for the first time Monday since sustaining a knee injury against the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 3. The Packers have yet to activate the tight end from short-term injured reserve, but he could conceivably return for Thursday's tilt with the Detroit Lions.

[BCOLOR=#FFB612]Jason B. Hirschhorn covers the Green Bay Packers for Acme Packing Company. He also serves as an NFL writer for SB Nation and Sports on Earth and is a member of the Pro Football Writers of America.
Follow @by_JBH[/BCOLOR]​

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

so the packers wasted their one and only short term injured reserve slot on a guy who is likely to be suspended. par for the course.

The timing on this is interesting. What an odd "coincidence" that this comes down right as he rejoins the team. I'm also sure the NFL will wait a week or two until he's ready to play and then suspend him for 2-4 games. Season over.

Agree rb, that this was a total waste. That said, who else should they have used it on. I'm truly asking. I can't think of who this could have been used on that might have worked out better. Most of the rest of our injuries have been short-term or season-enders. Montgomery would have been a good choice, but who knew an ankle sprain would turn into a 2 month injury.

Back