A round up of Mocks for Packers 1st Pick

Terranimal

Reaction score
Draft Ace: Derwin James
Bucky Brooks: Fitzpatrick
Casserly: Mike Hughes CB UCF. Note James still on the board.
Ourlads: Jaire Alexander
Pigskin Paul: Marcus Davenport.... Note he has an entire mock for Pack. A lot of his picks come from guys who stood out at Senior and Shrine games. Its at gbnreport. Also they do a good job of draft rumors.
Walt: Ward/previously Jackson
Campbell: Ward...interesting is he says he hears Pack want WR or LB and if not there will go best available.

What is interesting is most have Pack going Corner and not a Pass Rusher. Interesting because improving pass rush is tops for Gutey. If James somehow falls to our pick would have to think Pack would take him over anyone else.

Now if it is Corner would prefer Alexander over Ward, as he has the workout numbers like Shields did and could hang with taller WRs plus is already a tough tackler and shot at being a shut down Corner. Could be our nickel this year as Williams and King start.

What will be interesting is IF Pack go Secondary or go LB/ Edge Rusher.

Hughes would be awful pick at 14 he's borderline 1st round/2nd round pick in every mock I have seen.

How do so many people have Fitzpatrick dropping to 14?

I don't get it either, but I think some mocks are over-thinking things, or believe teams will reach for a QB or an unexpected player. It could happen, but I don't see it.

Certainly the 4 QBs could all go before #14. Barkley and Chubb will go top-5-6. Probably one or both of the Notre Dame OL end up in the top 13. Also likely that LBs Smith and Edwards go before 14. That makes 10. To me the other 3 to go before the Packers pick are Ward, Fitzpatrick and James. That means none of those guys are available for G.B.

Soooo . . . you have to think there are some surprises in the top-13 for Fitzpatrick to make it to us. Some might think a DT like Vea or Payne goes a little higher than expected. Maybe a team goes for Ridley up there. Maybe another QB sneaks in - I saw a mock with Mason Rudolph in the top-13, which seems like a real outlier.

Basically, you have to assume some "reaches" and I'm not sure I see it, but would be overjoyed if either Fitzpatrick or Ward was there at #14.

Good thoughts, 57. The other bit of goofiness I see is Rosen dropping. I get he's not an Andrew Luck-type sure thing, but there are so few clean, natural passers in the league, so few guys who understand footwork and can understand a complex offense, this guy shows up with all the pedigree and production but he comes from money so teams are going to pass on him? Get lost.

Anyway, your write up above encapsulates pretty well the issue GB is facing, namely that the cut off for the group of first rate impact players seems to be about pick 12. Thank Hundley for pulling out the Cleveland game, we lose for winning!

EDIT: to correct my egregious use of the word "right" instead of "write," and use of "you're" instead of "your". Geez...

Last edited:
To expand on 57.....Mason is a poor man's Rothliesberger, big strong pocket guy. It only takes one team to shine on him. There is also the DL bump right before the draft. It is so hard to anticipate what is important for other teams and the fact that there is more talent each year that it's harder to have a definitive big board. Such as....if it's a good year for CB depth- teams might hold off till second or third round knowing there will still be acceptable talent left. So is the drop off greater for DTs, DEs or EDGEs? For instance, Oakland. Gruden has said he wants to get Mack more help. He already has Irvin on the other side, so mocks have Safeties going there, but I think he's looking more at Vita Vea or DeRon Payne. That pushes another DB towards us. I really think one of the two safeties is going to be there. Fitz seems to dropping because people feel he's a guy without a definite position, but he'd fit here!
My other point would be this- Edmunds and Davenport are both projects. Very talented young men, but they are projects. Sounds like echoes of TT?!?!

Another thought. Recently read about how fast QBs get rid of the ball now. Rushers can't even apply pressure with the ball coming out inside of two seconds. So to even get a pass rush you have to cover the WRs earlier. To do that we're going to need DBs before we address EDGE guys. Plus, other than Chubb the EDGE guys are either projects or they don't grade high enough to be taken at 14.

How do so many people have Fitzpatrick dropping to 14?

I can see it. Its not that crazy. Hes not James. Hes not the best cb or safety in the draft. so a slot corner or the number 2 or 3 safety. better prospects have been taken in the teens. Hooker and Thomas to name a few.

Hes a great kid and loves football so that helps but I don't think he is the greatest player. Id rate him around 15 to 20

I would put vea in the top 15 easy. Not many men are made his size and quickness.

I don't think ridley is the 1st wr off the board either

To expand on 57.....Mason is a poor man's Rothliesberger, big strong pocket guy. It only takes one team to shine on him. There is also the DL bump right before the draft. It is so hard to anticipate what is important for other teams and the fact that there is more talent each year that it's harder to have a definitive big board. Such as....if it's a good year for CB depth- teams might hold off till second or third round knowing there will still be acceptable talent left. So is the drop off greater for DTs, DEs or EDGEs? For instance, Oakland. Gruden has said he wants to get Mack more help. He already has Irvin on the other side, so mocks have Safeties going there, but I think he's looking more at Vita Vea or DeRon Payne. That pushes another DB towards us. I really think one of the two safeties is going to be there. Fitz seems to dropping because people feel he's a guy without a definite position, but he'd fit here!
My other point would be this- Edmunds and Davenport are both projects. Very talented young men, but they are projects. Sounds like echoes of TT?!?!

how is Edmunds a project? He didn't rush the passer much at va tech but hes far from a project.

Back