A look at the second half of the season and McCarthy’s future

Depends on how much Gute has for input. Whether he is more TT or RW imo on whether MM is back or not.

This season stinks very much of Sherman's last season and Rhodes only season and fired. And Rhodes had a winning record.

i don’t have a feel for McCarthy and if he stays because i can’t read into the mind of the BOD. My fear is that any decision will be swayed by public perception. Make the playoffs I think he safe. Not a guarantee just a gut based on how conservative this organization is. The other thing is what will it cost for a new HC and staff? Who’s out there? They can make the whole public dog and pony show that it’s going to be a exhaustive search but I’ll call BS to that. Murphy has a list now and knows who he want....and if he doesn’t more fuel to how incompetent he is as a president

Don't think just making playoffs is good enough.

However u brought up a big point. That is who do u replace MM with? And really that should be Gute with the list and not Murphy really. But given current messed up power structure, u might be right that it's Murphy but hope not.

i don’t have a feel for McCarthy and if he stays because i can’t read into the mind of the BOD. My fear is that any decision will be swayed by public perception. Make the playoffs I think he safe. Not a guarantee just a gut based on how conservative this organization is. The other thing is what will it cost for a new HC and staff? Who’s out there? They can make the whole public dog and pony show that it’s going to be a exhaustive search but I’ll call BS to that. Murphy has a list now and knows who he want....and if he doesn’t more fuel to how incompetent he is as a president
If......IF........Murphy moves on from MM, he should sit down with Gute and build a list of candidates.
Can’t make that call in a vacuum IMO.

Personally, I’ll throw my hat in the ring for Carmichael the OC at New Orleans.
He’s been with Payton for 10 years. The first 3 as QB coach for Brees and the last 7 as OC.

If......IF........Murphy moves on from MM, he should sit down with Gute and build a list of candidates.
Can’t make that call in a vacuum IMO.

Personally, I’ll throw my hat in the ring for Carmichael the OC at New Orleans.
He’s been with Payton for 10 years. The first 3 as QB coach for Brees and the last 7 as OC.

Any good GM or management should have a short list in their top desk drawer. It’s not like they don’t know who out there. Know who you interview is another story. Personally I like La Fluer and Riley

Any good GM or management should have a short list in their top desk drawer. It’s not like they don’t know who out there. Know who you interview is another story. Personally I like La Fluer and Riley

I get the McVay effect of looking for a younger generation of HC’s.
I am not a fan of looking for former retread NFL HC’s.
But I do think NFL coaching experience is an important component.
So I could support La Fleur, but not Riley. But Riley seems to be a hot commodity.

La Fleur is my guy if you want a young innovative coach that can rejuvenate the offense and the locker room. I saw 2 reports that John Harbaugh is out in Baltimore and that both Cleveland and Green Bay were probable landing places.

At first glance I thought that was crazy but actually it makes sense. Harbaugh had MP on staff before so he could mostly leave that side alone. He doesn't call offensive plays so Rodgers gets a new OC and QB coach on staff. IF and I am very skeptical MM goes anywhere then Harbaugh bears watching.

I still prefer La Fleur sb( tc(

Carmichael is only 46 years only, so he's no curmudgeon age-wise compared to La Fleur, Riley, and other youthful candidates.

But, this article underscores my vote for him, should they switch HC's.

Pete Carmichael

Carmichael, who is calling the plays for the first time since 2012, is one of the NFL’s brilliant offensive minds, but he has always been content to operate in the shadows of Payton and Brees since they all arrived together in 2006.
“He’s an under-the-radar guy,” Brees said. “I’m not gonna call him quiet, because there’s so much he does behind the scenes. I think he’s a great coach and a great teacher. When he kind of has the floor, so to speak, and he’s doing the install or talking about a concept or working on the openers or he’s calling plays, he’s on it.
“And he’s one of those guys that has the respect of this whole locker room. I just can’t even begin to tell you the value that he provides.”

Then you get to come back to cold and snow just think of that and will depress you more than MM coming back

Why do you have to be so cruel?? What did I ever do to you?? ;)thumbsup

You severely underestimate how depressed I'll be if MM comes back, my friend!! :cool:

Last edited:
How this team always seems slow to react he would probably be back if we sniff the playoffs this year. Personally I think he should have been gone this year letting the new GM bring in his own guy.

Back