53 Man Roster Prediction

I am guessing Crosby spends first 4 on PUP. Should have cut him when it made sense to cut him and saved cap space now might a well keep him on roster

53 man projections

Gutekunst has already talked about possibly trading for WRers during cut down. We certainly need depth at Safety depth.

One of the stranger 53 mans I've done, but the 16 man PS really changes the calculus. Anyway, here are my guesses as of now.

Also, think back to the 53 man roster from the FIRST cut downs last year vs what the team turned into. This team is gonna change a whole lot. Hopefully in the way of players getting healthier, depth players stepping up, rookies like Enagbare building off a really nice finish to pre-season and becoming a viable #3 edge rusher, the rookies can contribute.

QB(2) Rodgers, Love
PS-Etling is athletic, but I don't see him ever developing into a full time QB. He's a Joe Webb.

RB(3)
Jones, Dillon, Goodson, Hill(PUP)

PS-Taylor

I think this is going to be a REAL close one. Taylor is a power back who is VERY good in pass pro, he's also good in kick coverage. He's not explosive like Goodson, he's not

WRer(7)
Watson, Doubs, Lazard, Rodgers, Toure, Cobb, Watkins

PS-Winfree, Travis Fulgrham(He just got here too late to make any inroads, but we've seen him produce and he knows the offense).
Wouldn't be shocked to see Watkins not make the team and then brought back after week 1 or Gutekunst go out and make a trade or claim as he alluded to earlier this camp when he said, after the Julio singing that there's no much available, that could change at the end of camp.

TE(4)
Deguara, Davis, Lewis, Tonyan

PS-Cannella(I think he'll play a role in the passing game at some point this season. He's been impressive as a pass catcher, but obviously not much of a blocker.)

Davis has done just about all he can to lose that job. Becker may have had a chance, and he looked good as a blocker and was a big target, but went out with what appeared to be a rathr sinigicant injry. With question about Tonyan and Daffney already gone, this is definitely a position I could see them making a waiver claim.

OL-(10)
Bakhtiari,Nijman, Runyan, Myers, Hanson, Newman, Rhyan, Jenkins, Tom, Jones

PS-Walker

I really don't get the appeal of Hanson, but he's been rotating with the 1s and he's got a chance to start the season. Walker showed a lot tonight. That he can move, that he's pretty physical. That he's worth a RS year and a PS spot.
MLF has never kept 10, but he's never had this type of talent 1-10 and he's also never went into the season with his two best players out.

By the way, Myers has looked like an absolute animal in the run game in his limited snaps vs the better DL. Rhyan looks great at times, but he's still getting beat in pass protection with quickness.
The idea that Yosh could get floated makes a lot of sense. He's got a full year on tape. Caleb Jones is more valuable being a rook with 4 years of team control, but I'd imagine teams would prefer to go with the guy who got 600 snaps last year.

DL-(6)
Clark, Lowry, Slaton, Reed, Wyatt, Slayton

PS-Heflin, Ford

I could go either way with Slayton or Heflin. Heflin had a bit splash play tonight with the 4th and 1 tackle, but he was just unblocked. He's been good either way, but so has Slayton. Slayton is more athletic AND has done a good job getting off blocks and anchors well in the run game.

I do think one of the two will get claimed(Heflin or Slayton, whoever's not on the 53 man).

Wyatt was the guy I wanted at #22. He's looked...very average thus far. His defense vs the run leaves a lot to be desired, but he does have an exceptional 1st step and hopefully he'll earn playing time as the year goes on, but man, he looked brutal this last game vs the Chiefs. Moved off the ball consistently, really no plan to his rush, often just ended up as a QB spy. But he can beat ANYONE with that first step.

Edge-(4)
Gary, Smith, Enagbare, Garvin,

PS-Kobe Jones, Galeai, LaDarius Hamilton.

I'm lost here after the first 3 who are all locks. Garvin has looked...reliable. Jones has really flashed at times. Quay Walker's ability to come up and play Edge provides some depth here. Enagbare has been really been solid vs some of the few starting OL we've played. He's just steady, collapses the pocket, plays the run. Any of the other 3 could make the 53, but this is where I'd stick with 4 to be able to go with 10 OL, 6 DL.

MLBer(4)-Campbell, Walker, Barnes, McDuffie

Easiest group. Maybe Wilborn for the PS, but these 4 are all very clearly the 4 best. McDuffie took a huge 2nd year jump(it would appeaer). Barnes is limited and he always will be, but he can run and hit. Also good on STs, as is McDuffie.

CB(6)
-Alexander, Stokes, Douglas, Nixon, Jean-Charles, Thomas

PS-Gafford, Ento
Gafford blew coverage in multiple games. He's sticky and athletic, but he's not ready to play. Ento I think could play safety/CB. That Will Redmond role. Both converted WRers.

S(4)
Amos, Savage, Davis, Leavitt

PS-Carpenter. Abernathy to the 53 man after Leavitt goes on IR

Carpenter likely takes the spot of Leavitt after the initial 53 man and Leavitt is put on IR. I don't see it. Leavitt in limited time blew a coverage, missed a few tackles, but this group is 3 deep and MAYBE Abernathy can prove to be depth in the base, not just for STs. But he didn't look especially good in either regard. I'd take Aber

This is definitely a position they should be looking for upgrades.

STs (3)
Crosby
Coco
O'Donnell

PS-Ahmed
This is a really good rundown, I would make two exceptions - I don't think they need to carry a 3rd RB, and frankly I don't think they need to carry a 7th WR. Patrick Taylor, Tyler Goodson, Winfree and Toure I think all clear waivers and can be on the PS. I would be trying to check the waiver wire and PS for more depth in he secondary, especially safety, or maybe keep that extra DL up.

This is a really good rundown, I would make two exceptions - I don't think they need to carry a 3rd RB, and frankly I don't think they need to carry a 7th WR. Patrick Taylor, Tyler Goodson, Winfree and Toure I think all clear waivers and can be on the PS. I would be trying to check the waiver wire and PS for more depth in he secondary, especially safety, or maybe keep that extra DL up.
I agree on Winfree and Toure. I am split on Taylor he seems a decent ST player and that could get him a job on this roster and maybe claimed by another team because of that. Also Goodson seemed to flash that some team might pick him up if cut. Granted I don't think either are that great and could likely be replaced if claimed.

I wonder if GB cuts their LS and might look to get one off waivers

I agree on Winfree and Toure. I am split on Taylor he seems a decent ST player and that could get him a job on this roster and maybe claimed by another team because of that. Also Goodson seemed to flash that some team might pick him up if cut. Granted I don't think either are that great and could likely be replaced if claimed.
Every team has a Patrick Taylor and a Tyler Goodson, they're a dime a dozen. I know they'd want them on the PS but in the hierarchy of values I think the depth issue is more glaring elsewhere. There is no conceivable reason for Winfree or Toure to ever see snaps on offense, so why carry them? Even if they play a lot of ST like Winfree, let's just put it in perspective here, he's an important player on a dumpster fire, worst in the league ST unit, so really what is that worth?

Every team has a Patrick Taylor and a Tyler Goodson, they're a dime a dozen. I know they'd want them on the PS but in the hierarchy of values I think the depth issue is more glaring elsewhere. There is no conceivable reason for Winfree or Toure to ever see snaps on offense, so why carry them? Even if they play a lot of ST like Winfree, let's just put it in perspective here, he's an important player on a dumpster fire, worst in the league ST unit, so really what is that worth?
You could throw darts at a dart board to pick the bottom of this roster and get just as good results as trying to apply logic.

The bottom of the roster may have actually gotten worse from last year if that's even possible.

Packers releases:

T. Fulgham
D. Cross
A. Mack
K. Ento
A. Byers
S. Cannella
D. Williams
K. Thomas
J. Heflin
D. Etling
C. Slayton