5 Packers most impacted by Nelson’s loss

With the salary cap and roster size you really can't have enough depth at every position. I suspect if this was a regular season game and Lang passes his concussion protocols all of our normal starters on the O line would be playing on Saturday.

I'd like to point out that just drafting OL doesn't mean they are any better than the top tier of UDFAs.
We don't know where the different tiers begin and end, I would believe there was not much difference between any OL drafted in rounds 5-7 than there was in priority UDFAs.

We need a LT now! I agree with Half Empty- Bak is actually pretty mediocre. He's been helped out with pretty good/outstanding Guard play next to him. Don't know where we might find one right now, so if Bak is slow to recover I think you'll see Bulaga over there. Concerned, but optimistic.

... Bak knee is now and I quote "in another procedure" AKA we hope like hell he heals or were screwed.

He basically confirmed that he may need some kind of procedure done on the knee if it doesn't respond to current rehab.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/323004091.html

Bakhtiari revealed Wednesday that the issue with his knee originated prior to the Green Bay Packers’ first exhibition game, though at first he downplayed its seriousness. He told himself not to worry about the injury, which he assumed would vanish, but those inclinations evaporated during an uncharacteristically poor performance against the New England Patriots.

"Then pretty much the straw that broke the camel’s back was (realizing) I’m not myself," Bakhtiari said. "I can’t do what I want to do. Certain things mentally and physically it wasn’t working. So I’m like, ‘Yeah, I need to get this thing taken care of.’ The good thing is with the preseason you have more down time, whereas in the regular season you don’t have the leisure to take care of these little things."

Bakhtiari would not disclose whether he needed a procedure to deal with his injured knee.

"I don’t know,' he said with a laugh. "I can’t remember. CTE, CTE. We get hit in the head every day."

I'd like to point out that just drafting OL doesn't mean they are any better than the top tier of UDFAs.
We don't know where the different tiers begin and end, I would believe there was not much difference between any OL drafted in rounds 5-7 than there was in priority UDFAs.

We need a LT now! I agree with Half Empty- Bak is actually pretty mediocre. He's been helped out with pretty good/outstanding Guard play next to him. Don't know where we might find one right now, so if Bak is slow to recover I think you'll see Bulaga over there. Concerned, but optimistic.

I will politely disagree. We passed over a few serviceable OL the last couple of years, Cameron Fleming was a 4th round pick b y NE was their 6th OL and played a big roll in there Super bowl run.

Another example is Broncos Chris Clark " A sixth-year offensive tackle who appeared in 69 games (27 starts) with Denver during the last five seasons (2010-14) after two years competing on Minnesota’s practice squad. .... Started 14 regular-season games and three playoff contests at left tackle in place of injured All- Pro Ryan Clady in 2013 as part of an offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks (20) in the NFL " Was a rookie FA not drafted

You don't have to get 1/2 round OT to get good ones but you do need to draft/sign OT not OG you think can play there.

I get what some folks are saying about only having limited picks/money/etc. Still, it seems like we invest disproportionately less in the O-line than we should. Sure, maybe UDFA's get it done, but if that's the case why don't we do it with UDFA's at CB, WR, DL? Other than QB, we have draft choices as depth as the primary back-up at pretty much every position except safety. At OL we had a single draft choice as depth for 5 positions.

Again, I'm not calling for a crazy amount of extra picks early in the draft, but just consistent use of mid-round picks to build depth. And no, I was not impressed with our o-line after last season and going into this season. Solid starting group with nothing behind it other than Tretter who look bad in limited action and Barclay coming off an ACL. We needed to draft one.

How could you not be impressed with the o-line after last season. They finished the season ranked 4th overall. They were #1 in pass pro. The 5 starters were all returning plus Tretter and Barclay. By all accounts they should be solid again this year and with those 7 guys returning the depth wasn't looking all that bad either. It's easy to question the lack of drafting an OL now that 3/5 of the starters are dinged up.

ec - the starting OL was very impressive last year but TT has only drafted one OL in the past two years, a 5th round investment (thankfully!) in Corey Linsley. Ted rightly devotes assets to WR every year because he wants to have a pipeline of talent there in case a starter gets hurt, but he really hasn't done that with OT. Now that we have an injury at OT that lack of investment comes sharply into focus.

How could you not be impressed with the o-line after last season. They finished the season ranked 4th overall. They were #1 in pass pro. The 5 starters were all returning plus Tretter and Barclay. By all accounts they should be solid again this year and with those 7 guys returning the depth wasn't looking all that bad either. It's easy to question the lack of drafting an OL now that 3/5 of the starters are dinged up.

Sorry but A. I was talking about OL depth way before last year and B. That stellar OL managed to get our franchise QB hurt last year...the year before and last week. Now granted Rodgers is at fault some of the time for holding the ball too long but the "depth" is what I was talking about and it blows big time.

Do you think it was the play of the O line that caused Rodgers to injure his calf last season?

Do you think it was the play of the O line that caused Rodgers to injure his calf last season?

The play is rather obvious... the right side collapses in pass pro and he takes off.... hit and the rest is history. Again he tends to hold the ball too long from time to time which is a contributing factor to the pass blocking but if a guy whiffs a block he does no sugar coating it.

Back