3 things that stood out as Wisconsin men's hockey lost in OT to Quinnipiac

By the way, my Dad's game against the Packers was in 1919. He played for what was the Menominee North End Athletic Club. Most of the players were French Canadians. The Northenders got their butts handed to them. I think it was like 51-0, or something like that. Like my Dad said, getting his ankle broken in the first quarter saved him from taking a beating out there like the rest of the guys. They were totally dismantled!

But, laying on the field, his ankle broken, he ended up making jokes with several of the Packer players, and it ended up turning into a friendship. After that year, he'd go to Packer games, and knew the players, including Lambeau, so he would stand on the sidelines with the team, with 3 or 4 sizable hip flasks filled with brandy, and he'd share a nip with the player during the games. As one well known Packer player said, as he took a fairly deep gulp. "It smooths the pain out!"

I became a Habs fan in 68.

At that time, in Janesville the only Grade School Sports that were played by Grade Schools against other sports was ice hockey in the winter at an out door rink. It started in 2d grade. You'd show up, the city would strap shin pads on the outside of your pants, pop an old helmet on top of your head, and send you there. Most including me skated on their ankles and wandered around ala South Park. I'm sure my dad and others were tossing many back and laughing their asses off. For me it took, and I started playing organized.

Later that first year, my dad, my grandfather - from Ill and yes one of those who sucked even if it was before the song, and I were watching what I recall as my first NHL Hockey Game on an old Black and White TV between the Hawks and the Habs. Back then white jerseys were home. My father and grandfather proudly stated they were Hawks fans. This will probably surprise you, my not make waves self chose the Habs. I've stuck with them ever since. Although they have not had me doing cartwheels since 92, I haven't waivered. Luckily, I enjoy two of the greatest sports rivalries: Packers and them, Habs and Bruins.

A couple of my favorite Christmas presents were a Habs Home Jersey - White and in the 70s without Al Gore's internet very hard to find. And, then the greatest - the actual Habs NHL gloves.

Because the Habs coach spoke french, I took french from 7th grade through my freshman year in college and became fluent. Sadly, when my hockey career died and I was reincarnated as a Loose Head Prop, I let it go.

I was really excited when the Habs took Caufield. He's not bad, but it wasn't a good pick for them. Caufield is the cherry on top of the sundae for a team that is already dominant. I don't think you can build around him - at least not Stanley Cup Playoff Hockey which is entirely different than regular season.

Just a little insight into the lunacy

Reactions: TW
Back