3 things that stood out as Wisconsin men's hockey lost in OT to Quinnipiac

They gave it a great shot. Next year, they will be one of the teams to beat. The new coaching staff knows how to recruit, and take advantage of the portal.

The officiating was noticeably one-sided, but our guys still needed to do a better job of staying out of the box.

The east coast bias is still real. Can't believe that Buccigross was that bad on the national call.

We're already losing a few players. Don't think had big roles.

We're already losing a few players. Don't think had big roles.
I have a hunch the Badgers will draw more potential in through the portal than out. Players with the skills, who need a show case, will see it as a valuable opportunity. I think the program is heading in the right direction.

I have a hunch the Badgers will draw more potential in through the portal than out. Players with the skills, who need a show case, will see it as a valuable opportunity. I think the program is heading in the right direction.
Yea, you're probably right. But this portal thing is weird. I'm just an old knuckledragger that would be working to take my spot not moving to easier pastures

Reactions: TW
I agree with TW, the guys who've hit the portal aren't gonna end up being major losses. They couldn't really crack the lineup when healthy and two of them have been buried for years.

Let me know when Charlie Strammel leaves. A first round pick who can't hang on the 4th line? He's gotta be looking for greener pastures.

I agree with TW, the guys who've hit the portal aren't gonna end up being major losses. They couldn't really crack the lineup when healthy and two of them have been buried for years.

Let me know when Charlie Strammel leaves. A first round pick who can't hang on the 4th line? He's gotta be looking for greener pastures.
I can't believe Strammel was the 21st pick in the draft. We're talking about a big kid who should be able to bully people on the ice, but gets tied in knots by players he outweighs by 40# and has 3" on. He just doesn't have that killer instinct out there. He's past the point of using his injury as a reason that he's not getting ice time. He's gonna hit the portal, if he's smart.

On the other hand, love the pick my Blackhawks got at #1 this past year. Connor Bedard. Leads the team in goals and assists at 21-37. Got a great center on the 2nd line too. Bedard is 18, and Kurashev is only 24. I think next year Kurashev is going to be putting up some serious numbers if they can add a left wing for him. The same applies for the #1 line, with Bedard.

The Blackhawks have 2 picks in round 1. The Tampa Bay pick, and their own, which is a lottery pick. It looks like the second most chances to get #1. To be honest, I think they might be willing to trade out of #1 to get a quality wing, or a can't miss defenseman. There are a couple who can step onto the ice on day one and could make an impact. I'm referring to Zeev Buium, or Artyom Levshunov (probably one or both spelled wrong). These two guys have the skating skills, and play the game well between their ears. Rarely let themselves be pulled out of position.

Additionally, Nazar from Michigan, and Slaggert from Notre Dame, could be candidates to make the roster this coming season. They would probably split some time between Chicago and Rockford. A guy who's shown some moxie, and could move up on defense, from Rockford is Ethan Del Mastro. He's gaining more savvy every day. He's probably a year away though, so it will take time.

The Blackhawks have a lot of draft capital to work with 2 in the 1st round, 3 in the 2nd round, and 2 in the 3rd round. Seeing as how they have a huge shot at the #1 overall pick, again, because they could have the worst record in the league, they could make some real hay.

Anyhow.... back to the Badgers, it's time for them to tap into the portal and grab a couple of guys who want to be winners.

Hawks fans should be real happy. They are only going to trend up. I'd use all those high draft picks to restock. In 2-3 seasons, if they draft well, the Hawks should be dangerous.

On the other hand, my Habs "really, really, really, really, really, really suck!"

If I was to pick a 2nd favorite team, it would be the Habs. Being of French Canadian descent, I've always felt partial to them. Especially since a few distant relatives of my Dad actually played for them way back in the old days, when Quebec province was a real hot bed of junior level hockey, and players rising to the NHL level often came from there.

My Dad loved hockey. Played it as a kid, and was quite good at it, until he had his ankle broken in a football game against some "upstart football team" out of Green Bay. LOL He did say though that he was never good enough to have made it in the NHL. In fact, like he said at that time, "Nobody in the US has gotten good enough to play in the NHL."

He was right. It took a couple of decades before it was more than a sprinkling of US players making it.

Back