3 Realistic QB Prospects In The 2017 Draft

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
So while I love gambling on a future QB in round 1 it's doubtful the GM goes that route. That being said here are 3 QB prospects GB might consider.

1. Luke Falk, QB, Washington State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 205.

Some have him as high as round 3.. but round 4 is realistic. Falk completed 67 percent of his passes in 2017 for 3,593 yards with 30 touchdowns and 13 interceptions.

What stands out are his accuracy and quick decision making skills. He's not the most mobile QB and needs to add 10 pounds of weight but He has big upside. Fits MM offense

2. Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State
Height: 6-5. Weight: 235.

A lot of teams love this guy but just as many won't touch him. He needs work and will need to be brought along but has the skill set to be a decent QB.In 2017, Rudolph completed 65 percent of his passes for 4,904 yards with 37 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

3. Drew Lock, QB, Missouri
Height: 6-4. Weight: 225.

Right now he's are best bet. A gunslinger QB ala Favre. Lock completed 58 percent of his passes in 2017 for 3,964 yards with 44 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. Again he needs some work but 2-3 yrs behind Rodgers you could have a big gun QB on your hands.

Nice job Mark. 3 interesting prospects. Hopefully other people will add to the thread. I love these types of threads because it gives me, as a draft novice, great info to where I can get familiar with some of the names out there.

Thanks for posting Mark. I'm not much for evaluating these guys., but I'll watch all the videos.

I took a look at Rudolph and he looks like a better version of most of these ho-hum college QBs. Everything is out of shotgun, nothing from a pro set. Quick reads, not many throws into tight windows. Not a lot of deep throws or throws to the deep sidelines with pace on them. Not really sure about his arm strength but it seems OK. Seems like a project, but that's what you need to plan for with these later round guys. Off-hand, seems like an upgrade from Hundley.

i have liked drew lock for a while now, but that completion percentage . . .

that video is crazy. six minutes of touchdown passes.

I think this thread points us in the right direction. It is time to draft a QB. Someone who can spend three years on the bench, learning the game behind Rodgers, to insure he's ready to step in, and play. It has to be a guy who's patient, and knows that the time he's learning is money in the bank, down the road.

I think the best choice would be Lock. He seems to be a little more rangy, and throws well on the move. This is the mark of someone who can become a top level QB in the future.

The trick is to sign someone, and put them into a long term deal, that gives you time to develop them. Lock might be that kind of candidate. I don't think Rudolph fits that mold. He's the kind of guy who is going to have to start in a year or two, or will start getting antsy about being traded where he can.

Of the three, I like Falk. Where he might be in three years is exciting. He will need to put on some muscle, but the decision making seems to be there. The accuracy is what impresses me the most, especially after Hundley. The other two might be ready sooner, but in the longer run I like Falk's chances of developing the most.

One other kid I like for developing is Riley Ferguson from Memphis. 6'4" 210, In 2017, Ferguson completed 63 percent of his passes for 4,257 yards with 36 touchdowns and nine interceptions. 4-6 rounder.

Top Ranked QBs - 1018 Draft

An interesting fact. Only one of the top 17 QBs in this year's draft run the 40 yard dash in under 4.70. We seem to be on a swing towards less mobile, pro style passers, this time around. Some of them are elusive, but not speed merchants.

What I like about this list is there's as many as 10 guys on this list who could eventually end up being someone's starting QB for a number of years. It's not the usual list of two or three who can make it, but a list of guys with a lot of potential, if they land on a team that has the patience to teach them the NFL game, and let's the game come to them, not force them into the lineup before they mature into it.

I could get behind Drew Lock in a hurry. Makes throws all over the field. Big improvement over Hundley !

I like Mason, but I don't know how good a pro he'll end up being. I would pass on him.

Back