23-24 Packers season 10 Questions ?

This guy went into week 1 last season with a game plan that specifically turned the best WR in the league loose into as much space as he wanted.

I was just watching 'Quarterback' on Netflix. It's a short mini-series following Mahomes, Cousins, and Mariota last year. Of course, in one of the first scenes, I was treated to JJ running free during week one. If I wasn't a Packer's fan, it would have been amusing.

Square pegs, round holes. I'm not certain the people scouting and making the decisions on drafting for the defense understand the dynamics of what makes a player fit the mold needed for the defense we play. It can handicap them if they aren't well versed in what's needed.

Then there's the coaching staff. LIke Mark said, the man's defense is respectable in year one, and moves backward after that, according to the statistics they generate.

I was just watching 'Quarterback' on Netflix. It's a short mini-series following Mahomes, Cousins, and Mariota last year. Of course, in one of the first scenes, I was treated to JJ running free during week one. If I wasn't a Packer's fan, it would have been amusing.

This right here. This IMO shows what Barry is in a nutshell.

How in the world do you allow a top 3 WR in the league to run free and have his way with you? I understand that there are different things going on within the game and it is not that simple but week 1 last year was a complete debacle.

Square pegs, round holes. I'm not certain the people scouting and making the decisions on drafting for the defense understand the dynamics of what makes a player fit the mold needed for the defense we play. It can handicap them if they aren't well versed in what's needed.

Then there's the coaching staff. LIke Mark said, the man's defense is respectable in year one, and moves backward after that, according to the statistics they generate.

I completely understand sometimes drafting guys that do not fit the scheme. That is not on Barry.

What is on Barry is taking those players and using their strengths to make as good of a defense as possible. He is not done that either, IMO. A defense with 8 first rounders even if they have not been A+ (They have been solid except Savage) needs to be better than middle of the pack and near last in run defense.

I completely understand sometimes drafting guys that do not fit the scheme. That is not on Barry.

What is on Barry is taking those players and using their strengths to make as good of a defense as possible. He is not done that either, IMO. A defense with 8 first rounders even if they have not been A+ (They have been solid except Savage) needs to be better than middle of the pack and near last in run defense.
The question I was asking is if the scouts, Gute, and others, understand the body types that the defense needs?

The question I was asking is if the scouts, Gute, and others, understand the body types that the defense needs?
Remember Gute's mentor was Ted. Ted said in the past it was his job to draft players and the coaches job to figure out how to use them. AKA Ted drafted based on talent not scheme fit so Gute could also draft in the same mold.

If the WR's don't step up this year maybe GB takes one of these guys in the 1st round and ends the 20+ year drought of no WR in the 1st round. Though to get Harrison Jr. I am thinking this team would have to have a awful record and pick in the top 5.

If we get the extra #1 due to the AR trade, I think we pick a LT and a Safety. At least that would make the most sense to me. However, there are a lot of variables on how certain players perform this year at Safety, CB, DL, Tackle, and ILB.

I just do not think we will take a WR in the first round. We haven't done it in 20 years; especially, in the top 5 or 10 of the draft. JMHO.

If we get the extra #1 due to the AR trade, I think we pick a LT and a Safety. At least that would make the most sense to me. However, there are a lot of variables on how certain players perform this year at Safety, CB, DL, Tackle, and ILB.

I just do not think we will take a WR in the first round. We haven't done it in 20 years; especially, in the top 5 or 10 of the draft. JMHO.
LT I think depends on the team feels about Zach Tom replacing Bak. Safety it seems there usually is never that special safety worth taking in the 1st. Though I could see them go Edge rusher if they decide it's time to move on from Preston Smith. Or even RB if there is one there worth a 1st round grade as both Jones and Dillon could be gone next season.

LT I think depends on the team feels about Zach Tom replacing Bak. Safety it seems there usually is never that special safety worth taking in the 1st. Though I could see them go Edge rusher if they decide it's time to move on from Preston Smith. Or even RB if there is one there worth a 1st round grade as both Jones and Dillon could be gone next season.

I guess I differ on RB. I would never take a RB in the first round. At least this day and age. I don't care how good they are. They do not last more than 5 years normally and you can get players like LT, WR, CB, QB, and DL that will make more of an impact. Look at Saquon Barkley. He is good but not worth a 2nd overall pick.
Again, JMHO. pop(

Back