2024 Badger Football Thread

Regardless of what we want to believe, Fickell won't put Van Dyke in the lineup unless he feels he's the guy that can move the team. He's still learning, and that can be put to rest when they hit camp this fall. Being ready for the NFL doesn't necessarily make a person a perfect fit in college.

Mettauer never planned on playing this year. He's going to be a red-shirt. That was pretty much guaranteed coming in. Right now, they're working on his mechanics, and adjustment to the speed of the college game. It should be there after a year doing more observing than anything else. Crue will be #3. Mettauer would move up to #3 if any one of the three goes down.

That said, I doubt Locke would have a problem sitting, because he would know he's a shoe in next year, as a junior, for the job. That is, if Mettauer doesn't show up in spring ball looking like the next Russ Wilson.

I watched both Locke and Mettauer play high school ball, and both of them are darned good. Both are also quite adept at staying on their feet. So, it's going to be interesting seeing where these two take it in another year.

Personally, I would like to see Van Dyke win the job, because of his experience. I think Locke needs to work on his footwork, and release. He's sometimes a tad slow with the release because his feet are moving when they shouldn't be. From the clips I've seen so far from spring ball, he's already improved that area of his game quite a bit. He doesn't tap dance like he did last year. Of course that's practice, and definitely not the same as live action in a game. Sometimes, in games, a person reverts to bad habits because they don't have time to think about mechanics.
So my cousin lives in Miami, his son coaches ball around the area. The highlights I am posting are his first year starting,,, running the same offense Georgia is using now, a pro style passing attack with multi-sets. Sorry TW there is no way based on this he sits behind anyone at UW unless he's injured.

In a move that bolsters their offensive line, Wisconsin football has secured a commitment from Vanderbilt transfer Leyton Nelson. The 6-6, 308-pound lineman, who played under current UW assistant AJ Blazek at Vanderbilt, announced his decision to join the Badgers on Monday. Nelson played in 11 games last season and will reunite with Blazek in Madison. This addition addresses a critical need for the Badgers and brings their scholarship count to 87. Nelson's commitment marks the first transfer portal addition for the Badgers this cycle.
The Nelson File
• Three-star prospect, No. 38 offensive tackle nationally by On3 Consensus rankings
• Played at Boone (Fla.) High School for head coach Andy Johnson
• Chose Vandy over Louisville, SMU, Florida State, Cincinnati, Miami, Rutgers, Penn State, Kentucky, South Carolina and Tennessee

It sounds like he's going to be a great addition! Instant help.

A whole line full of Nelsons - Jack, Barrett, and now Leyton. He should be in the mix on the depth chart right away. They have starters, but are thin at several back-up positions. Nice get!

Back