2022 GB 53 Man roster

On defense I have serious concerns about depth at OLB, CB and S. Yes, there are bodies at OLB, but if any of Enagbare, Garvin, or Galeai have to play starter type snaps, that won't be good. They are okay at CB but Jean-Charles and Nixon are just OK as dime/depth guys. Safety has numbers but Leavitt, Carpenter, and R.Ford aren't really known for their ability in coverage. They are more just special teams guys. What do they do if Amos or Savage go down? Those guys aren't good. Douglas has been getting some work at S, but if he has to start there, they are thin at CB. It seems like they should be looking hard at other team's cuts and PS guys for a true safety. Maybe they kept one too many special teamers this time.
Damned if you do, damned ifs you don't. The Packers MO over the years has always been to keep the better positional player over ST value - the rookie with potential over the vet core ST player - and it always bit them on ST. Now they do the opposite, and their depth looks worse. Just have to see how it works out.

As for EDGE, I think they kinda made their bed on this one when they picked Wyatt over Karloftis, and then traded their 2 2nd round picks for Watson. There were some edge guys available rounds 1-2 but they had a lot of needs and not a lot of money to spend, and in those circumstances they couldn't do it all. I imagine they will be keeping an eye out for a Whitney Merciless type player to become available, or hope Engbare develops.

I didn't see a ton of surprises in the "final" 53 but there are a few.

First off, I don't really have any concerns about the choices on offense. They lack top-end talent at WR but other than that they are okay everywhere in terms of depth assuming Tonyan, BakhT, and Jenkins are back by October. Getting Caleb Jones back on the PS gives them some chance to see what they can do to develop him some more. I get why they'd keep Rasheed Walker over Jones. Walker had better college tape and some regarded him as maybe being drafted as high as Rd4. There were off-field questions about him. Jones didn't have as good of tape and the same questions.

On defense I have serious concerns about depth at OLB, CB and S. Yes, there are bodies at OLB, but if any of Enagbare, Garvin, or Galeai have to play starter type snaps, that won't be good. They are okay at CB but Jean-Charles and Nixon are just OK as dime/depth guys. Safety has numbers but Leavitt, Carpenter, and R.Ford aren't really known for their ability in coverage. They are more just special teams guys. What do they do if Amos or Savage go down? Those guys aren't good. Douglas has been getting some work at S, but if he has to start there, they are thin at CB. It seems like they should be looking hard at other team's cuts and PS guys for a true safety. Maybe they kept one too many special teamers this time.

Lastly, while it all worked out getting Heflin and C.Slayton back on PS, what the hell did Jonathan Ford do to warrant a roster spot? It seems like he easily would have cleared waivers. My guess is that unless he has some important role on special teams, he will be inactive every week. They never go 6 deep on DL on game days.
Ford was a ST guy in college, seems to be why he was drafted.

Back