2022 GB 53 Man roster

I'm anxious to see if Ford can earn his keep on day one in the NFL. I do like the practice squad personnel choices for the most part. There's a couple of guys on there who could end up being a member of the 53 man roster before the season is over.

Sleeping on it, I think the only move that really sticks in my craw is the move with Crosby. There seems to be a nonchalance about a 40 year old kicker (who has been up and down recently) just coming off of knee surgery and seamlessly going right into regular season action, not just kicking but as the last line of defense on a shaky ST unit. The public hasn't even seen Crosby ride a stationary bike and the team is essentially saying, "Yeah in ten days he'll be ready to KO into the end zone, make a game winning kick and also run hard at the right angle to force a loose return man out of bounds."
You could have stopped at '40 year old kicker' that alone is enough... GB is gonna get burned by this.

I didn't see a ton of surprises in the "final" 53 but there are a few.

First off, I don't really have any concerns about the choices on offense. They lack top-end talent at WR but other than that they are okay everywhere in terms of depth assuming Tonyan, BakhT, and Jenkins are back by October. Getting Caleb Jones back on the PS gives them some chance to see what they can do to develop him some more. I get why they'd keep Rasheed Walker over Jones. Walker had better college tape and some regarded him as maybe being drafted as high as Rd4. There were off-field questions about him. Jones didn't have as good of tape and the same questions.

On defense I have serious concerns about depth at OLB, CB and S. Yes, there are bodies at OLB, but if any of Enagbare, Garvin, or Galeai have to play starter type snaps, that won't be good. They are okay at CB but Jean-Charles and Nixon are just OK as dime/depth guys. Safety has numbers but Leavitt, Carpenter, and R.Ford aren't really known for their ability in coverage. They are more just special teams guys. What do they do if Amos or Savage go down? Those guys aren't good. Douglas has been getting some work at S, but if he has to start there, they are thin at CB. It seems like they should be looking hard at other team's cuts and PS guys for a true safety. Maybe they kept one too many special teamers this time.

Lastly, while it all worked out getting Heflin and C.Slayton back on PS, what the hell did Jonathan Ford do to warrant a roster spot? It seems like he easily would have cleared waivers. My guess is that unless he has some important role on special teams, he will be inactive every week. They never go 6 deep on DL on game days.

Back