Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Practice Starts at: 10:10 AM CT

General:

• Real training camp starts today. Dudes will be wearing pads.
  • Bailey Gaither retired, per Packers spokesperson. Daniel Crawford, a TE from Northern Illinois, is wearing the No. 80 jersey now.
Injuries (Not Updated): OT David Bakhtiari (PUP ACL), TE Josiah Deguara (PUP ACL), TE Dominique Dafney (PUP Knee), LB Ray Wilborn (COVID), DT Kingsley Keke (NFI Ankle), CB Kevin King (NFI Hamstring), OLB Za'Darius Smith (NFI Back), CB Will Redmond (NFI Foot), LB Isaiah McDuffie (NFI Hamstring), OLB Randy Ramsey (?)

Offense:

• 1v1s Winfree beats Stokes
  • 1v1s Cobb beats Sullivan.
  • 1v1s Lazard had Jackson beat but throw was off.
  • 1v1s Amari Rodgers cooks Gaines.
  • 1v1s Isaac Nauta roasts Henry Black.
  • 1v1s Nice battle between Funchess & Jaire, short catch for Devin.
  • 1v1s MVS beats Jaire with an awesome route, fantastic coverage by Jaire and MVS was just better than it.
  • 1v1s Winfree absolutely took Stokes’ soul off the line, but bad pass.
  • 1v1s Preston Smith 0-3 vs back-up left tackle Elgton Jenkins. Jenkins got a bit bull rushed on the 1st rep but then adjusted. All from LT spot. Jenkins shoved Smith to the ground on final rep.v
  • 1v1s Jordan Love with a great ball to Amari Rodgers. Vernon Scott in coverage
  • 1v1s Blair beats Hollman at the catch point. Nice play.
  • 1v1s Winfree now 3/3 against Stokes with a nice sideline grab.
  • 1v1s Taylor had Samuels cooked. Bad pass.
  • 1v1s EQ catches a deflected bobbled pass over Jackson
  • 1v1s Runyan looked good at left guard.
  • Most impressive thing in WRs vs. CBs 1 on 1s is watching WR Juwann Winfree’s get off at the line of scrimmage. Super quick.
  • 11v11 now - Jones wins easily against Campbell in coverage up the right seam from Rodgers. Couldn’t tell if it was man or zone but Jones had plenty of space.
  • Jenkins - JRJ - Myers - Braden - Turner starting OL today.
  • Love goes deep to Winfree but the two appear on different pages. Think Love expected Winfree to bend to the post but the WR runs a straight go. Incomplete.
  • Rodgers hands off to big AJ Dillion who turns it up the right sidelines. Who wants to be first to bring this guy down in September? Yikes. Packers making sure Dillon gets as many reps as necessary in team with Rodgers and the starting offense, especially with pads going on today.
  • Rodgers under pressure, underthrows slant left to Cobb.
  • Defense forgot completely about Robert Tonyan. Wide open for a checkdown and rumbles foe a nice pickup.
  • Rodgers goes back to Davante deep up the right sideline. Nice job by Jackson getting physical early in the route to throw off the timing just enough. Ball bounces off Davante’s outstretched fingertips.
  • Checkdown to Jones.
  • Packers offense is abusing the defense with checkdowns right now. Nobody close on defense.
  • Rodgers slant to EQ against Stokes.
  • Quick-hitter to Tonyan.
  • Collapsed pocket, Rodgers finds Lazard for a good gain.
  • Saw OT Cole Van Lanen at right tackle for what I think is the first time this camp. He had been on the left up until today.
  • Eric Stokes is really struggling today. Lazard just beat him easily inside and Rodgers found him in stride for a nice gain.
  • Beautiful protection for Rodgers who finds Lazard on an intermediate crosser for a nice gain.
  • Dennis Kelly getting some reps w/ the ones at RT.
  • Love rips one off play action down the right seam to DeAndre Thompkins. When Love plays in rhythm he absolutely looks the part. Long way to go but the talent is there.
  • Rodgers to Tonyan is candy from a baby right now. Hit him on a comeback to the left. Stokes the nearest in coverage.
  • Adams had Stokes beat on a go route but once again couldn’t hold on. Did everything but complete the catch. Perfect throw by 12.
  • Winfree finds space on the left sideline on 4th and long on a corner route finding space between the cb and s in the zone. Rodgers finds him easily for the first. Winfree has been the breakout star of the offseason so far and I’m not sure it’s close. He’s making plays every day.
  • Winfree is human. Just dropped a pass in the developmental team period. A very rare mistake for him.
Defense:

• 1v1s Savage beats Tonyan with a pbu but Savage is hurt. Getting looked at on the side. Back now, looks okay.
  • 1v1s Amos in great coverage on Sternberger. Rodgers throws but no dice for Jace.
  • 1v1s Rookie center Josh Myers had his hands full trying to stop Kenny Clark.
  • 1v1s Jean-Charles close coverage on Begelton.
  • Kamal Martin hurt in 1v1s and the concern is obvious. Looks like he twisted leg awkwardly in rep vs. Coy Cronk. Drill ends immediately...He’s up and jogging off with the trainers, hopefully that's good news...He's back.
  • 1v1s Rashan Gary is a grown man dude. Gary beat Billy Turner, a damn good RT, in pair of reps. First rep was bull walking Turner back, second an outside rush. Power and speed.
  • 1v1s Dean Lowry and Kenny Clark looked good in one on ones.
  • 11v11 now - Nice read by De’Vondre Campbell to slow up a Jones run.
  • Patrick Taylor cuts back right into the waiting arms of Oren Burks. Great patience and gap integrity from Oren.
  • So far Joe Barry seems to be a much bigger fan of a 2-4-5 nickel than Pettine. Lots of sets with 2DL, with Smith, Barnes, Campbell, and Gary at LB.
  • Jaire Alexander participated in 1-on-1s but is again sitting out team period for the third time in the last four practices.
  • Rashan Gary had what would have been a sack on a perfectly executed stunt. Rodgers throws anyway to an open Davante who dropped it clean.
  • Jean-Charles with great coverage on Amari Rodgers in a great slot battle with the 2s.
  • Jean-Charles beats Kylin Hill on a blitz. Looked like he could have had a sack.
  • Now a nice play by Tipa to apply pressure and good thing he did because he had Cobb WIDE open on a late crosser that never even got looked at. Love tucked it hoping to run, which has happened a few times today.
  • Screen to AJ Dillon and just a fantastic read and play by Chandon Sullivan to stop him right away. Really nice play by Chandon.
  • Rodgers tries hitting Davante on the over route and ends up throwing into the waiting arms of Alexander who undercuts Tae. Nice pick by 23. Takes it back the other way for a pick 6. Three of the best in the game. Jah wins the rep. He then jumps into the stands to celebrate with the fans.
  • Henry Black seems to actually enjoy contact. Rare quality in the Packers secondary the last few years. He continues his run as the safety in dime next to Savage.
  • Kenny Clark with a pass deflection at the LOS.
  • Have seen ILB Kamal Martin working at OLB several times today. Could be a position change or experiment.
  • Really impressive play from Kabion Ento, who broke on Aaron Rodgers pass to EQ in middle of field on 2-10 with 30 seconds left. PBU on 12 is always notable. Pretty much killed drive. Ento has been getting consistent 2nd-team reps and looks like a real roster threat.
  • 2-minute drill starts with 1:08 from 25 down TD. Ends with MVS dump off from defense’s 28 and 5 seconds left. Play blown dead as MVS reversed field from left to right. Because this is only practice. Rodgers was 3-for 7 with 43 yards on the unsuccessful drive.
  • Jordan Love nearly gets picked by Ty Summers in the 2-minute drill.
  • TJ Slaton with a pick 6 on Love!!! Tipped ball at the line - Slaton catches it and houses it. Guarantee that’s the fastest he’s ever moved. Ends the 2 minute drill for the 2s.
Special Teams:

• Kylin Hill getting the first look at kick returner followed by Chandon Sullivan. Looks like Amari Rodgers and DeAndre Thompkins will get looks as well.
  • EQ, Winfree, and Funchess all getting reps on special teams today. They all know if they want that last WR spot it could very well come down to being able to play teams.
Media:

Practice has ended at: 12:08 PM CT

Next event is: Training Camp | August 5th

Press Conference Notes:

Matt LaFleur
Presser

• Matt LaFleur on what he tells rookie Eric Stokes, who has been taking his lumps vs. 12 and 17 in camp: "I just try to reiterate to him that you're going against the best at their position in Aaron and Davante, so there's going to be some tough moments."
  • LaFleur says they continue to prepare to start without Bakhtiari until they have a clearer timeline of his return.
  • LaFleur indicates that Randy Ramsey suffered a pretty significant injury yesterday. Sounds like he'll be out for a long time.
  • Matt LaFleur states what has become obvious: Rookie Josh Myers will "most likely be our starting center." He's taken first-team reps since he arrived after the draft.
  • LaFleur talks about Eric Stokes' elite speed in practice. He mentions a go ball Stokes covered vs. MVS: "He was running step for step with Marquez, who in my opinion is one of the faster guys in the National Football League." A rare skillset for CB position.
David Bakhtiari Presser

• David Bakhtiari on whether he'll play Week 1: "Not going to set any dates or expectations." Says he's really itching to get back. Doesn't like seeing other people do his job. No hiccups in his recovery so far.
  • David Bakhtiari jokes that Pat McAfee and Aaron Rodgers basically "bullied" him into getting Rodgers a car, so he got his QB that golf cart.
  • David Bakhtiari on possibility of starting season on PUP: "I think we'll address that fork in the road when we get there." That's a much bigger question than Week 1, because starting season on PUP costs minimum of 6 weeks.
  • David Bakhtiari had never met Dennis Kelly before. He's just been told Kelly is his doppelganger. Bakhtiari's sense of humor took over from there on Kelly's first day: "I kind of just took his jersey and put mine in his locker."
  • Bakhtiari says he’s told Elgton Jenkins he wants to help Jenkins “become the best Elgton he can be.” Prepare him for in-game situations. “He’s a dog. Straight up.”
  • David Bakhtiari on how rare it is for a guard to kick out to LT and not be a liability like Elgton Jenkins does: "I think there's only a handful of guys that can do that, and he's part of that handful." He says it's mix of football IQ, athleticism and feet that make it work.
  • Bakhtiari wants fans to know that crowd noise affects offensive linemen the most. “When fans are loud, it makes the life of an offensive linemen that much harder.”
  • David Bakhtiari asked if he could do what Elgton Jenkins does in terms of positional versatility. He pauses: "At guard, yeah. At center, I just need more time."
  • Bakhtiari on his first thought seeing Josh Myers: “You’re either a terrible athlete or a bad football player because why are you playing center at 6’5.” He kind of proved me wrong on both...though I will not say he’s my favorite center from Ohio State, he’s off to a good start.”
  • Bakhtiari: “There’s not enough words or time to express what Randall Cobb means to the Locker room.”
Elgton Jenkins Presser

• Jenkins says he prepared to play left tackle this off-season when coach gave him heads up. He doesn’t have a favorite spot on the O-line but is most comfortable at left guard.
  • Elgton Jenkins is all in on LaFleur's suggestion they could try him at tight end. Says he could take a TE screen "30, 40 yards"
Dean Lowry Presser

• DL Dean Lowry says DC Joe Barry’s defense is very detail oriented. He says it fits him very well. “He knows our personnel. He knows how to put people where they’re going to be most effective.”
  • Said the advantages he sees in Joe Barry's defense for him is that he can play numerous positions on the D-line and there will be room to move him around for better match-ups. He said that's true for some of the other DL as well.
  • Lowry says he enjoys listening to Kenny Clark and MVS go back and forth at each other. “Different players and different body types so that’s usually the root of all the jokes.”
  • Lowry says Slaton already brings his size, next is working on technique.
Eric Stokes Presser

• Eric Stokes says one of the thing he's learned from covering Davante Adams in camp is you've got to zero in on a WR's eyes. All the herky-jerky motions, but the eyes give away.
  • Eric Stokes says he looks forward to going up against Davante Adams. “It’s just gonna make me better day in and day out.”
  • Eric Stokes' rookie duty has been providing DB room with snacks. He went to Target and walked out with ... a lot. Got a handful of jumbo Snickers, Twix, Reese's Cups, Skittles, variety bags of chips, Chips Ahoys, pistachios for Adrian Amos. "God, it was a lot," Stokes said.
  • Eric Stokes not buying MVS's belief that he is the fastest player on the roster: "He can go ahead and meet me on the line." Stokes says he loves MVS anyway.

Winfree is going to make their decision on final WR spot very difficult.
Right now, I might give him a slight inside track.
As it said in the summary, it will come down to who’s the better ST’s contributor.

Thanks, as always for the recap Mark
CLP) CLP)

I would be shocked if Bak starts week 1. I think safe bet is him starting year on the PUP. Make sure the guy you are paying $22 million a year to is 100% ready.

Eric Stokes. I just watch footage of Kevin King to know everything I should not do as a CB. If I do everything the other way he does I should be a all-pro. :)

I would be shocked if Bak starts week 1. I think safe bet is him starting year on the PUP. Make sure the guy you are paying $22 million a year to is 100% ready.
If he starts season on PUP he’s stuck there for 6 weeks and then a 3 week activation window

Back