Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Practice Starts at: 10:10 AM CT

General:

• No Pads Today
  • After missing two practices for personal reasons, it turns out OL Simon Stepaniak has decided to retire.
Injuries (Not Updated): OT David Bakhtiari (PUP ACL), TE Josiah Deguara (PUP ACL), TE Dominique Dafney (PUP Knee), LB Ray Wilborn (COVID), DT Kingsley Keke (NFI Ankle), CB Kevin King (NFI Hamstring), OLB Za'Darius Smith (NFI Back), CB Will Redmond (NFI Foot), LB Isaiah McDuffie (NFI Hamstring)

Offense:

• RB Patrick Taylor is off PUP and is practicing.
  • Robert Tonyan makes a one-handed catch on a ball thrown behind him in drill work. Draws an approving applause from the fans. On air or not, the guy catches everything.
  • Runyan gets first reps at LG in team. Braden at RG.
  • Royce Newman getting more inside work now with Kelly at RT with twos
  • Malik Taylor was two steps past everybody, wobbly underthrown deep pass from Love ends up in what would have been PI by Hollman because Taylor had to slow up so much.
  • Rodgers moves his head to send…someone in motion. Both Cobb and EQ move. Crossed wires.
  • Rodgers carries out the play fake to Dillon then hits MVS on an in breaking route for a significant gain. MVS beat Stokes over the middle, took it to the house, and sprinted back to the huddle
  • Love is getting the last rep with the ones every cycle.
  • Love with back to back handoffs to Kylin Hill who puts the motors on.
  • Love escapes a collapsing pocket rolls right, and hits Blair in stride for a deep TD down the right sideline. Blair was a few steps behind the secondary. Pretty play to end the period.
  • Rodgers underthrows one deep to EQ who looks double covered but makes a GREAT adjustment and a diving catch for a huge gain (40+ yards). Black/Savage in coverage.
  • Rodgers hits Cobb on a delayed shallow crosser where everything else has been run off deep. Crowd goes wild.
  • Pocket starts to break down, Rodgers steps up like he’s going to run but then finds Funchess open over the middle for a big gain.
  • Ben Braden with the ones at LG for the second team period.
  • Sweet throw from Love to EQ on an Out to the far hash. EQ has had a really nice start to camp.
  • Jordan Love and Jake Hanson really having trouble with their QB/center exchanges. One was under center, one from the gun. Love then just ran into RG Royce Newman trying to move up in the pocket.
  • Another day of no one being able to get around Elgton Jenkins. He’s legit been on “set it and forget it” in pass pro at left tackle.
  • Love in the 2 minute: Rejected by Lowry, then connected with Thompkins, handoff to Hill, pass to Rodgers, keeper.
  • 2 min drill, Rodgers to Davante with an over the shoulder catch. Eric Stokes in coverage. Crazy how early that ball is out before Adams is even in his break.
  • Rodger 2 min:MVS just had a catch where he bobbled it in the air but he hangs on on a throw from 12. Short completion to Tonyan. Incomplete to Lazard.
Defense:

• Jaire is back in team today. but to start out he’s just taking one snap and then coming out.
  • Randy Ramsey is injured. Being helped off by training staff and going inside. Looks like left leg.
  • Lowry slaps down love pass at LOS on second and 8 in two minute.
  • 2 min drill, Black is opposite Amos at safety with Amos playing down alongside Barnes in the middle.
  • Gary just blew up a play in 2 min exploding through the middle. Forces Rodgers to throw early on an incomplete corner to Davante.
  • Stokes is getting better by the day. His coverage on 17 has resulted in at least two failed passes today on endzone fades, but one got called for DPI.
  • Darnell Savage gets the interception above Randall Cobb, but DPI called. Long penalty on 3-10 in the 2 minute drill keeps the drive going.
  • Rodgers tries to zip one in to Tonyan on a crosser in 2 min but broken up by Savage who was in tight coverage to force a field goal.
  • Rodgers and the first-team offense drive to the 5-yard line, helped by two PI calls, but have to settle for a FG.
Special Teams:

• JK Scott working on his directional punting. First two were pretty ugly. Next two are fantastic.
  • Crosby makes a short FG to end the 2 minute drill. But in the FG drill, Crosby goes 5-8. Misses from 36, 45 and 53.
Media:

• Rodgers coaching up Benkert. Video
  • Rodgers drill Video
  • Kurt Benkert drill Video
  • Rodger -> Patrick Taylor drill Video
  • Benkert -> Cobb drill Video
  • Jaire fumble recovery drill Video
  • Funchess drill Video
Practice has ended at: 11:55 AM CT

Next event is: Training Camp | August 3rd 10:10 AM CT

Press Conference Notes:

Matt LaFleur
Presser

• LaFleur says Marcedes Lewis does so much for their locker room. “He’s such a great leader” TE Robert Tonyan "has grown as much as anybody in our time here just as a complete player, and I think there's more out here for him." He says Marcedes Lewis' veteran leadership is big reason for Tonyan's development.
  • LaFleur on Barnes: He did it the hard way as an undrafted free agent. "He just continued to battle. He's a very instinctive player."
  • Matt LaFleur acknowledges the cap uncertainty around Preston Smith early this offseason, but pleased to have the veteran pass rusher back (on a pay cut, of course): "He's a bona fide pass rusher, and he's versatile too because he does a lot of things in coverage for us."
  • Matt LaFleur says Packers will have NFL officials at Family Night on Saturday.
  • Packers will have their first two-minute drill of camp today.
  • Matt LaFleur says they have 11 players that aren't vaccinated. (There's 89 on the roster. So that's 87.6% so we're over the 85% now) He'll continue to stress education. "They've got to make the decision for themselves."
  • LaFleur on Stepaniak retiring. Respects him and appreciates his hard work. "He had to make a decision that was in the best interest for himself and his family."
  • LaFleur on Elgton Jenkins handling left tackle: "He's just an exceptional player. There's not much he can't do. We could probably line up him at tight end...maybe we will"
Preston Smith Presser

• Preston Smith says last year's dip in production was because of what he was asked to do, not what he was capable of doing. He says Kyler Fackrell's departure before 2020 season meant fewer pass rushes for him, more coverage drops.
  • Preston Smith effusive on his praise for Joe Barry and his defense. "He knows how to put playmakers in a position to make plays."
  • Preston Smith says he took a pay cut to come back to Green Bay because the Packers have been so close to the Super Bowl the past two seasons and he wants a chance at a ring.
  • Preston Smith calls Rashan Gary a "freak athlete" on the edge. Now, he says, the game has slowed for him: "He's shown a lot of growth. He's not making steps, he's making big leaps each year."
  • On Barry’s lack of success as a DC before Green Bay: “Joe has been playing on some stank defenses since Washington.”
  • Preston Smith tells a great story about how he had to wait for the Falcons season to be over back in early 2011 before his mother, a Falcons season ticket holder, would bring him on official college visits. Says he's been an Rodgers fans since watching 12 slice up ATL that year.
Marcedes Lewis Presser

• "I live my life like I'm on a one day contract." Marcedes Lewis.
  • “What my mom went through. She had me at 15 years old. Watching her struggle is what gets me up in the morning. Nothing I go through compares to what she went through raising me.”
  • Marcedes Lewis won't get into details, but says he and Aaron Rodgers had frequent communication this offseason: "The most we went without talking was like a couple weeks."
  • What’s different about Year 16 for Marcedes Lewis? “Im 37.”
  • Marcedes Lewis: "I was playing when the clarity on TVs was still bad. ... I don't even have highlights on YouTube."
  • “Im excited to get the pads on. Because that’s when you really find out. And that’s where guys turn into dudes. And I think we have a team of dudes.”
Krys Barnes Presser

• Krys Barnes says he was "super heavy" last year, didn't realize how much weight he was carrying. He dropped 10 pounds over the offseason, down to 235 pounds. "I feel a little bit faster."
  • Barnes says Joe Barry is “a guy you want to play for.”

• LaFleur on Elgton Jenkins handling left tackle: "He's just an exceptional player. There's not much he can't do. We could probably line up him at tight end...maybe we will"
That, right there, caught my eye.

notice has been served to the NFL.
Scary thought!

Another great read from the Packer camp. The information is so concise.

Keep 'em coming!

• JK Scott working on his directional punting. First two were pretty ugly. Next two are fantastic.
Keep an eye on this. New ST coordinator, "all in" attitude - not going to go to battle with this guy if he can't get his crap together.

I liked Big Dog’s comment about putting on pads reveals who’s a guy from who’s a dude, and he thinks GB is full of dude’s

Liking what I'm hearing about the defense

Back