2021 Off Season Thread

I have said if before and I will say it again. Aiyuk was the guy but SF took him. You have to infer that Love was #2 on the board, the mistake was trading up for him. If you kept the draft equity, you could have moved up in round 2 for Claypool or even Pittman. Even Gute said we liked guys but could not move up.
saying it before and saying it now doesn't change the stupidity. okay maybe aiyuk was the guy they wanted when they decided to trade up. but you don't compound that error by drafting a guy that replaces the guy you just signed a huge contract with.

that is a colossal if.

and actually, i disagree. if you're going to take that opinion, how exactly did the 2020 draft help rodgers? we spent our top four picks on guys that contributed very little. those are the money picks. those are your very best chance at getting good players that can help the team. we used two of those picks (50%) to draft a guy who may never play a game for us - and certainly doesn't help rodgers.
That was exactly my point. The 2020 draft didn’t help Rodgers and looks like it won’t help after him either, because they spent premium picks on a trade and back up caliber players.
I just don’t think there’s such a thing as drafting for after him - if you do well, it’s both.

saying it before and saying it now doesn't change the stupidity. okay maybe aiyuk was the guy they wanted when they decided to trade up. but you don't compound that error by drafting a guy that replaces the guy you just signed a huge contract with.
It comes down to evaluation and if they were true to their board. No the error was the trade up. You lost draft equity and had no ammo to move in the 2nd

The only problems I had with the 2020 draft was (like pack said) wasting draft equity (4th round picks) to move up to take a QB.
I was fine with Dillon and Deguara.
My belief is that ML wanted his own version of RB Henry, so that’s why Dillon is here.
Deguara was starting at TE from day 1. Unfortunately he wrecked his knee almost immediately. I read somewhere that he was first in total receptions, 2nd to Travis Kelece’s TE single season receiving records at Cincinnati, And 2nd to Brent Celek in career yards so I don’t think he’s a bad pick, he just had bad luck this year.
But not having those 4th round picks to start Day 3 of the draft puts your team at a real disadvantage. And it’s not the first time they’ve done that in recent memory, so I’m really not happy about how they manage their board/picks at times.

Last edited:
And here is the 10,000 pound gorilla in the room. What draft picks or should I say player not picked would have got you over the hump to beat Tampa or last year SF. I would argue that it would not have been a WR or RB or TE. But it very well could have been, especially this year speed on defense, ILB or interior help or even an additional corner cover. Was that person there in the 1st? No. Would a different scheme on D made a difference. Probably yes.

And here is the 10,000 pound gorilla in the room. What draft picks or should I say player not picked would have got you over the hump to beat Tampa or last year SF. I would argue that it would not have been a WR or RB or TE. But it very well could have been, especially this year speed on defense, ILB or interior help or even an additional corner cover. Was that person there in the 1st? No. Would a different scheme on D made a difference. Probably yes.
Eric Kendricks over Demarius Randall in 2015. TJ Watt over Kevin King in 2017.

There tends to be a big focus on recent drafts but your best impact players are often either on second contracts or approaching. Bad picks compound over seasons, they cast very long shadows.

Eric Kendricks over Demarius Randall in 2015. TJ Watt over Kevin King in 2017.

There tends to be a big focus on recent drafts but your best impact players are often either on second contracts or approaching. Bad picks compound over seasons, they cast very long shadows.
Agree. I was just focusing on the last 2 years due to all of the second guessing

Agree. I was just focusing on the last 2 years due to all of the second guessing
I can't really think of a drafted player from the last year or so who would've been a huge difference maker - assuming we're not including ridiculous trade up scenarios (of course if we traded up to #5 and took Devin White he'd be great for us and also Tampa wouldn't have him...) I keep going back to older drafts - Jason Spriggs, just imagine if we had another solid bookend tackle instead of a bust.

I have to put all the TT picks into perspective, because they are water over the dam at this point and there is a different GM, with different authority than TT.
We can guess all we want about how much/how little input/influence Gute had on any of those picks. At the end of the day, TT was the one who made the picks.
Gute has overseen 3 drafts and has picked 2 all-pro players (Alexander and Jenkins), along with several players who seem to be in the “ascending” category (MVS, Gary, Savage), and several others who have potential to be either starters or significant contributors (Dillon, Deguara, Runyan, Stepaniak, Sternberger).
While I strongly don’t agree with some of his picks, I realize that there are no guarantees when it comes to making picks. You have both hits and misses.
The 2020 draft, sans Love, may end up being a very solid draft. But think who they may have missed out on by not having those 4th round picks they gave up to go get Love.

Back