2021 Hired and Fired Thread

That's like having film on a player for 4 years but they didn't interview well so you pass over them. Hiring managers need to do more due diligence and use the interview as a piece of the puzzle.
This is NHL related and not NFL, but about 20 years ago the NY Rangers hired Brian Trottier as their head coach, because he interviewed well and the GM thought he had beautiful handwriting. Fired after half a season. These brain trusts often outthink themselves and don't see the big picture.

This is NHL related and not NFL, but about 20 years ago the NY Rangers hired Brian Trottier as their head coach, because he interviewed well and the GM thought he had beautiful handwriting. Fired after half a season. These brain trusts often outthink themselves and don't see the big picture.
“And the GM thought he had beautiful handwriting”

OMG!! LMAO!!
You win the internet today rpt!

Kinda reminds me of a conversation I had with a good friend who played for the the University of Tennessee and then the Quantico Marines Devil Dogs. His oldest son coached my oldest in youth football and then high school. He talked about how important it was to teach kids the art of football. Play many positions, get them to learn the game from all angles.

He also talked about coaches learning from all angles as well but, my long story short, he talked about what you just said about top brass outthinking themselves. Use the interview as a piece of the puzzle but get out and ask his/her contemporaries, players, and view tape. Football coaches show up, they have a skill set, they have a resonance with their players and results.

He also talked about coaches learning from all angles as well but, my long story short, he talked about what you just said about top brass outthinking themselves. Use the interview as a piece of the puzzle but get out and ask his/her contemporaries, players, and view tape. Football coaches show up, they have a skill set, they have a resonance with their players and results.
Yeah man I just can't imagine if you're the brass and braintrust of the Lions, in charge of a lifeless, flaccid franchise in a moribund city, where the team has lingered on in NFL purgatory, and you see Robert Saleh and how his defenses play for him and the energy he brings and the leadership and all that, how you can sit there and say "hmmm, he didn't interview well, we're gonna pass." I get it, there's no sure thing and he has a ton of talent there in SF to make him look good, but geez take a chance on leadership, take a chance on energy.

Heard the Eagles owner wanted Pederson to make changes to coaching staff. Pederson did not want to hire outside people and only promote from within. Eagles owner was not on board with this.

Back