2021 Draft Simulator

Whether he can or can't, it's a massive risk to go into the season with Billy Turner and Jon "Fingers Crossed" Runyan Jr at OT.

Drafting a Center and an OT is imperative in the draft. Centers can be found early on Day 3 (think Linsley in the 5th round), and we can debate all day whether OT is a Day 1 or a Day 2 choice, but I think Pack said it best that they shouldn't make a big reach for an OT.
Doing that would have Jason Spriggs written all over it.

well, don't let the fact that he was first team all-b1g and the starting left tackle for michigan the last two years confuse you. and just because his father played 14 seasons in the nfl, including 12 straight seasons as the starting right tackle without ever missing a game, doesn't mean that jr. is going to do the same.

he has been compared to breno giacomini, which doesn't bode well for the packers ability to develop and use him properly.
Yeah and there are tons of guys who play tackle in college and get moved straight to guard in the NFL. Runyan was a 6th round pick who played when guys got hurt. I am not putting stock that he can possibly start at tackle

Drafting a Center and an OT is imperative in the draft. Centers can be found early on Day 3 (think Linsley in the 5th round), and we can debate all day whether OT is a Day 1 or a Day 2 choice, but I think Pack said it best that they shouldn't make a big reach for an OT.
Doing that would have Jason Spriggs written all over it.
Comes down to evaluation unfortunately which is not a very confident feeling. You got 5 or 6 guys who could be part of OL run, so is there value at 29 for say the number 4 or 5 guy? Is there more value for a DL or CB there? And hide) a WR?

Yeah and there are tons of guys who play tackle in college and get moved straight to guard in the NFL. Runyan was a 6th round pick who played when guys got hurt. I am not putting stock that he can possibly start at tackle
And is he a better option than the 4th or 5th OL on the board? That’s the decision you have to make. He was ok in spot duty last year and always thought he was solid at Michigan

And is he a better option than the 4th or 5th OL on the board? That’s the decision you have to make. He was ok in spot duty last year and always thought he was solid at Michigan
I think team would try Nijman at tackle first. I think Runyan could start at guard though. Also what about stepanisk could he play tackle? Likely would have went higher in the draft if he didn't get hurt

I think team would try Nijman at tackle first. I think Runyan could start at guard though. Also what about stepanisk could he play tackle? Likely would have went higher in the draft if he didn't get hurt
If there is one position coach I have confidence in to figure it is OL.

SIMON STEPANIAK is strictly a Guard.

He’s never played OT and never will.

At least Runyan has played OT and has played at a pretty high level to be voted all B1G for 2 consecutive years.

Agree, Stepaniak can only help you at OG. It would free up other guys to play OT if you can play him at RG for example.

Drafting an OT is certainly not necessarily a plug and play deal, but if you take one in Rd 1 or 2, then you at least leave yourself in the best possible position to get a guy who can help sooner rather than later. The other factor is what offense they played in college. Tevin Jenkins might be great down the road but played in an offense at OK St that probably doesn't translate all that well to what the Packers do - so likely quite a bit of development to be done.

Still, it's not just about this year either. Take the best possible OT for your scheme. Maybe you get lucky and get another Bulaga or Bakhtiari who can help you right away. Hopefully you can at least get a swing tackle for this season so that you don't have as big a disaster if an OT goes down at some point.

Back