2015 GB UDFA Thread

Right now Packers have 89 players on the roster after draft picks and UDFA are counted. They have 1 more roster spot. They have invited 4 players for try-outs.

After going over the list of guys we added via UDFA, there were two guys who really caught my attention. One guy would seem to have a decent shot and the other, perhaps, a place on the PS.

Tavarus Dantzler LB (related to Woody?) has incredible instincts and ability to change directions. Seems to have some rare ability to keep his momentum going when the direction of the play changes. He's a little light in the loafers but if he put on 15lbs and kept his speed he'd be really interesting. Plus, Clay is his favorite player.

Larry Pinkard WR got booted from the Old Dominion program but looks dynamic running after the catch...the one hander in his YouTube clips is phenomenal even though it isn't quite as impressive as Javess Blue's one hander from Kentucky. Pinkard runs mid 4.4's and looks to have hands and a unique feel with it in his hands when he's dodging defenders. I believe I read he himself thinks he's Randall Cobb like and I'm not confusing him with Ty Montgomery who got those comparisons from our staff. If we weren't loaded at WR, I would be thinking he had a really good shot of making it. I like him much like I liked Charles Johnson who went on to play well for Minnesota.

EDIT: Here's Larry Pinkard's quote on who he'd compare himself to in the NFL and why? I’d say Randall Cobb but just a little bigger. You can get me the ball in more than one way I’m not just a receiver. (nfldraftdiamonds.com)

EDIT II: I got a chuckle out of this site... It rated the 17 UDFA's... the ones I like ranked 15th and 17th, respectively. http://247sports.com/Bolt/Ranking-the-Green-Bay-Packers-Reported-Undrafted-Free-Agents-37097401

Last edited:
"Let the cream rise to the top" - Gut instinct is all I have to go on - feeling optimistic about UFDA and do think Mark87 can be quite correct that is going to have an impact. Packers camp looks to be highly competitive this season so far. They are going to push hard for a spot on the roster even the practice squad. So much to consider - many of these will become solid players elsewhere, some will not have football careers at all and some are going to be what the Packers consider the "right fit" for their team schemes.

I think "solid" list is quite right. - Kaye

Hard to know. Several of these guys seem legit threats to make the roster. It's possible though that none of them do. Likely though that 5-6 make the PS, maybe more. A lot of it may come down to what happens with the roster in terms of positions, and how TT likes to structure the PS.

For example, in the past we always had a QB on the PS, but I suspect we'll roster 3 this year and none on the PS. I only see 7 obvious choices for OL for the roster. TT might go that route and keep 1-2 on PS. I'd bet on Rotterham.

TT always seems to keep 1-2 WR and a TE on the PS. At WR, Collins and Coxson seem solid options. At TE, any of the 3 of Perillo, Henry or Backman could end up on PS, with one of the 2 on the active roster.

Probably keep one RB on the PS. Could be Crockett, maybe Neal though I suspect with Neal having been around longer they'll roster him. I think Starks is pretty safe unless he gets injured again.

They probably keep more than the usual number of DL on the roster so we might not see any kept on PS. Hooks and Thornton are probably options.

With how thin they are at ILB, I think they may keep 2 for PS with both Vaughters and Dantzler having a shot.

Gunter seems like solid UDFA pick-up and I'd at least like to see him on PS for a year. With Bush maybe being on the way out Gunter has a shot at the roster as his replacement.

UDFA Players with the best chance IMO:

John Crockett RB- Nothing really after Lacy/Starks - he doesn't run very well, but seems to play faster.

Matt Rotheram Ol- Barclay (ACL), and Taylor (no good). Good shot to add to the depth.

Tavarus Dantzler LB- 6'3" 240 4.53/40 - If this guy can stay clean the Packers got the steal of UDFA. Covers sideline to sideline better then any LB in this Draft. A natural at shedding blocks and plays to his timed speed on the field. Not a wrap--up tackler- he tries to go through people. Had he played at a big school and not had trouble with the law - your talking 1st/2nd rounder.

Tavarus Dantzler LB- 6'3" 240 4.53/40 - If this guy can stay clean the Packers got the steal of UDFA. Covers sideline to sideline better then any LB in this Draft. A natural at shedding blocks and plays to his timed speed on the field. Not a wrap--up tackler- he tries to go through people. Had he played at a big school and not had trouble with the law - your talking 1st/2nd rounder.

---If you have some info on his legal troubles I've love to read about them...I couldn't find a thing on that.

I did like this short piece on him...

http://www.footballinsiders.com/source-patriots-and-steelers-set-to-work-out-lb-tavarus-dantzler/

Now that we have a pretty sure list. Looks like a nice crop of UDFA. Now these are UDFA for a reason, so i don't expect many of them to pan out. But i'm taking a glass half full approach here.

The WR is intriguing. A few of those guys could push Janis and maybe even Abby if they come in and hit the ground running. There is potential there.

RB's - Crockett was a beast in DII. Good feet, hard to take down, decent vision, and decent receiver. If they can get him to strengthen up a bit he could be one of those diamonds int he rough TT gets a lot of credit for. Big question will be how he makes the transition to NFL from DII...

OL - Some interesting prospects here. Anyone who is not a starter won't be given a roster spot this year. This group could really push for a spot as depth.

LB - Dantzler is the one I am most interested in.If he can find a way to fit in to a 3-4 then he may turn into something.

The DB's and TE's are all camp bodies from what I can see.

Back