With Their first pick GB selects Jordan Love QB Utah State

I thought this was a nice breakdown showing Love's abilities but more clearly his flaws in mental processing and decision making. Watching this, it really looks like he just needs reps in ML's offense to even know what he's capable of.

This is exactly why I say that to get the best out of a QB, he needs to spend time on the bench, as a back up, absorbing the system he's in, reading defenses, and learning from the QB who's playing. How long should they sit? I don't believe there's an exact time frame, but I think two years is about right. Then they should be ready.

Love overcame flaws through coaching, and when he finally did get the chance, his game had changed enormously, and his confidence wasn't broken. Good article. Using the play diagrams showed the weaknesses in his game that he overcame.

Interestingly enough, his sometime inability to make the right read was still somewhat there when this season started, but as he gained confidence in his receivers, and vice versa, the reads improved dramatically.

Last edited:
I was 100% wrong on Love and happy to be so.
You weren't alone. I think most of us believed he had too many flaws in his game. The thing that stands out is that all the flaws he had in his game have been at least partially overcome. He still makes the wrong reads at times, but show me a QB who doesn't. He may throw early or late at times, but once again, show me one who don't.

What stands out to me, about Love, is how he came in, and not once did he open his mouth except to ask questions. He watched and learned. He obviously did the things asked of him, to help his game. He learned a lot behind Rodgers, and I believe Rodgers acknowledges that, and wouldn't be saying the things he is about him, if he didn't believe it, and know it was true.

Love has shown that the patience, and timing watching the game, and feeling it slow down in front of him during the course of this season. It's hard to tell how far he's going to go with the talent he has, but I do know one thing, at this point, it looks like an amazing draft pick, and I'm more than happy to eat crow.

Yup dead wrong… Love has more than proven himself this year….
It's been a great run so far, and by no means am I knocking the pick or putting a damper on his success this season, but 1 year doesn't make a career. Please, nobody take that the wrong way like I'm bagging on him. Far from it. I'm just offering a sober reminder that we have all watched a lot of football in our days and know that 1 season doesn't make a career or skyrocket someone to the Hall of Fame.

Again, not knocking JLove at all. I think it's been a magical season and I'm so happy for him and this team, with credit to ML and Gutey as well. I'm hopeful that he'll keep developing and refining as a pro and hopeful we'll have many more years of viewing pleasure!

It's been a great run so far, and by no means am I knocking the pick or putting a damper on his success this season, but 1 year doesn't make a career. Please, nobody take that the wrong way like I'm bagging on him. Far from it. I'm just offering a sober reminder that we have all watched a lot of football in our days and know that 1 season doesn't make a career or skyrocket someone to the Hall of Fame.

Again, not knocking JLove at all. I think it's been a magical season and I'm so happy for him and this team, with credit to ML and Gutey as well. I'm hopeful that he'll keep developing and refining as a pro and hopeful we'll have many more years of viewing pleasure!
I feel the same way. I was gassing him up early in the season that he was doing really well in spite of the misses and INTs, now I'm pumping the breaks a bit. The question is, is this a hot streak, or has it really just figured it out? Can he turn back into a pumpkin, or is this just who he is now? I remember feeling the same way when Mahomes burst on the scene or when Josh Allen turned the corner. Is he becoming one of those guys? That won't be answered until next year.

I feel the same way. I was gassing him up early in the season that he was doing really well in spite of the misses and INTs, now I'm pumping the breaks a bit. The question is, is this a hot streak, or has it really just figured it out? Can he turn back into a pumpkin, or is this just who he is now? I remember feeling the same way when Mahomes burst on the scene or when Josh Allen turned the corner. Is he becoming one of those guys? That won't be answered until next year.
Exactly and perfectly stated. That's not to take anything away from what he has accomplished this year. Not at all. Just, for me, I'm gonna continue to enjoy his development and we'll see where he's at in a few years. It's been a fun ride so far.

A year after the initial reaction, I think I had a more astute assessment here, right down to the run game/mutliple TEs/scheme guys open piece - looking back I had no idea how far away we were at the time from having proper TEs for ML until we actually got them this year. Holy smokes what a difference.

Anyway, the playmaking/off-schedule was always the key with him. Train him up on the Xs and Os because he's smart enough to handle it, and hopefully that hones the playmaking/instinct towards production rather than risk.

All in all, and knowing this is not a final assessment of Love, he's hitting that tiny window of best case scenario.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 at 9.30.07 AM.png

Bud being the prick picking on Love. LOL ;)

Exactly and perfectly stated. That's not to take anything away from what he has accomplished this year. Not at all. Just, for me, I'm gonna continue to enjoy his development and we'll see where he's at in a few years. It's been a fun ride so far.

I agree with both of you. I am also not ripping on Love by any stretch and I am enjoying the ride; however, the one thing that worries me a little is him throwing when is feet are not set and jumping in the air. Now some would say, what do you mean, he is making those throws outside of the play design and that is what good QB's do. That is true; however, I feel some of his throws have been a little lucky and floated in there. They were lucky to not be intercepted at times. With this SF defense coming up, I could see if he makes those throws again there being a different ending and not a good one.

Having said that, I could be completely wrong and Love plays great and next year is even better. sh)) Maybe I just can't believe we may have found another franchise QB three times in a row. thumbsup

I will try to be positive. cheesehead)

Bud being the prick picking on Love. LOL ;)
Not at all. Far from it. Just trying to pump the brakes a little and enjoy the here and now and stay even keeled and let the kid develop how he's gonna develop. I'm just as excited as everyone else about this young man's future.

Back