Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
UCLA
Enrolled at UCLA in June 2019.

Starter in all 12 games at left tackle ... helped pave the way for the Bruins to average over 200 yards per game on the ground for the second straight season (215.1) and produce a 1,000-yard rusher in Zach Charbonnet (1,137) ... first time since 1987-86-85 seasons that UCLA has achieved consecutive 200-plus yard rushing seasons ... UCLA ranked 17th nationally in rushing offense ...UCLA ran for at least 200 yards in all of its eight wins during the season ... Bruins led the Pac-12 in scoring (36.5) ... named to the first-team All-Pac-12 team by the league's coaches and Phil Steele ... selected to the second-team by Associated Press and PFF.

Starter at left tackle in all 7 games ... UCLA produced a rushing average of 230.6 yards per game which ranked second in the Pac-12 ... it was just the fourth time since 1990 that a Bruin team had achieved the 200 yards per game milestone for a season ... the last time a Bruin team averaged more than the average per rush mark of 5.1 yards was in 1976 ... opponent sacks dropped by over one per contest from the previous season to 1.7 per game.

Saw action as a starter in all 12 games ... Became the first true freshman to start a season-opener at tackle since Simon Goines did so against Rice in 2012 ... Helped to block for Joshua Kelley who became the eighth running back in UCLA history to record back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing seasons ... The Bruins put together a streak of five straight 200-yard rushing games for the first time since 1978 ... 2019 FWAA Shaun Alexander Freshman All-America team selection ... 2019 USA Today Freshman All-American team ... The Athletic 2019 Freshman All-America team ... Named to the 2019 national All-Freshman team by PFF ... 247 True Freshman Pre-Season All-America pick ... FWAA Freshman All-America watch list.

High School
Four-star recruit according to 247 Sports, Rivals.com and ESPN.com … No. 56 on the 247Sports national list … No. 84 on the Rivals.com250 national list … 247’s No. 5 recruit in the state of California … 247's No. 1 offensive lineman recruit in the state of California ... Rivals.com’s No. 12 prospect in the state of California and the No. 14 offensive tackle in the nation … No. 133 on the ESPN 300 national list and the No. 15 offensive tackle prospect in the nation ... Invited to the All-American Bowl in San Antonio, Texas ... 2018 USA Today first-team All-State pick ... 2018 All-CIF Div. 2 ... 2018 CalHi Sports first-team All-State selection ... 2018 L.A. Times High School All-Star team selection ... 2018 All-Sea View League MVP - offense ... 2017 U.S. Army All-American Combine Team ... 2017 South Coast League, All-County, All-State, All-CIF selection ... 2018 and 2017 SJHHS Lineman of the Year ... 2016 All-South Coast League honorable mention ... Also a standout track and field performer ... Three-time SJHHS MVP Field Athlete (2017-19) ... Three-time Sea View League Shot Put Champion (2017-19) ... Set school record for shot put (63 3 1/2) and discus (155-5) ... 2019 Orange County Champion in Shot Put (63-3.5) ... 2019 Sea View League Shot Put Champion (58-2) ... 2019 Southern Section Division 1 Shot Put champion (59-5) ... Finished third in the shot put (61-5.5) at the 2019 California State Championship meet ... 2019 San Juan Hills HS Male Athlete of the Year ... 2018-19 Orange County Athletic Directors Association CVAA League Male Athlete of the Year ... 2017 and 2018 league MVP ... SJHHS Scholar Athlete Award winner (3.8 GPA) ... 2019 OC Register Male Athlete of the Year ... 2019 Capistrano Dispatch Male Athlete of the Year ... Silver medalist for Triton Rugby Club at the 2016 SoCal Youth Rugby State Championship ... Qualified to play for the high school feeder team for the Olympic USA Eagles Rugby Team ... Attended Capistrano Valley Christian School for one year.

Personal
Parent: Steve and Maria Rhyan ... Lists his biggest athletic thrill to date as being offered his first D1 scholarship ... Among the famous athletes he most admires are the NFL's Nate Solder and Bo Jackson ... Hobbies include going to the beach, drawing, working out and hanging out ... His dad was a International Moto-Cross professional ... Grandfather was a professional boxer ... Earned a spot on the Athletic Director's Honor Roll for Fall 2021 and Spring 2020 ... Geography and Environmental Studies major.

Read he's likely to move to OG at NFL level. So might not start year one but will provide depth on the OG spot.

Rhyan is expected to kick inside to guard after starting 31 games at left tackle at UCLA. He is a natural knee bender and an easy mover in pass protection. He stuns pass-rushers with his punch, and his shorter arms should be less of an issue at guard. Rhyan is an aggressive run-blocker with good short-area power and big hands to latch onto defenders. -- Steve Muench

If he's a mauler they talking about does he fit the Josh Sitton/TJ Lang mold?

6’5 321, I’m looking at him at RT to start

He's a little short armed but they may well throw him out there at RT to see if he can handle that. If not, I suspect they throw him in the mix at OG with Runyan and Newman. Would not surprise me if he beats out Newman to start at RG.

6’5 321, I’m looking at him at RT to start
Reading more now they say he could be a OG and a OT so he's one of those multi spot players GB loves to draft. I think it's a rule to be a OL for GB have to be able to play more then one spot

I doubt he goes OG.. not with so much experience at T... but who knows.

Scout take from Bob M:

4. SEAN RHYAN, UCLA (6-4 ½, 323, 5.23, 2-3): Started all three years at LT before declaring a year early. “Doesn’t have great arm length (32 3/8),” one scout said. “He’s not a top-flight, athlete-movement guy but he’s always on his feet. He plays big. He can drive guys off the ball. In pass pro, he’s just so big that it’s hard to get around him. He’s a starting right tackle, and a good one. I could see why people would want to move him to guard right away but I would try him at tackle first.” Led the guards in the vertical jump (34 ½). Wonderlic of 29. “Looks like it comes really easy to him,” a second scout said. “He’s thick, but super light on his feet. He’s got good quickness. I’d call him more finesse than power. He’s not lacking in toughness but he’s just not nasty and isn’t a guy that wins with power. He wins with athleticism and technique. There’s no way he makes it out of the second round.” From Ladera Beach, Calif.

I doubt he goes OG.. not with so much experience at T... but who knows.
main issue seems at pro level is arm length will he be able to block the edge rusher. He will likely be given chance to compete with Nijman to start at RT

Back