With Pick #75 GB Selects Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
Earned team MVP honors last spring.

2018 (JUNIOR): Named a consensus All-American after earning first team All-America honors from the Associated Press, Football Writers Association of America, The Sporting News and Walter Camp … earned USA Today Second Team All-America distinction … named to the All-SEC First Team by the AP and coaches … was a John Mackey Award and Early Campbell Tyler Rose Award semifinalist … garnered All-America honors from CBS Sports and Sports Illustrated … … appeared in all 12 games, catching 47 passes for 804 yards and 10 touchdowns … recorded five catches for 56 yards and two touchdowns in his first game as an Aggie … named the John Mackey Tight End of the Week following his performance against Northwestern State … had two catches for 48 yards against No. 2 Clemson … scored a touchdown and tallied 42 yards against ULM … hauled in three passes for 59 yards and one touchdown against No. 1 Alabama … recorded four catches for 51 yards against Arkansas … caught four passes for 95 yards, including a 46-yard touchdown against No. 13 Kentucky … posted career highs in catches (four) and yards (145) and caught a touchdown against South Carolina … Named Earl Rose Campbell Tyler Rose Award Player of the Week for his performance against South Carolina, and an honorable mention for his performance against No. 13 Kentucky … hauled in three receptions for 59 yards against Auburn … had four catches for 76 yards against Ole Miss … led the Aggies with four receptions for 85 yards and two touchdowns against UAB … hauled in five receptions for 75 yards and two touchdowns against No. 8 LSU … named a midseason All-American by ESPN.com, The Athletic, Associated Press and Pro Football Focus … given the Offensive Top Newcomer Award, Offensive MVP Award and Strength and Conditioning Offensive Aggie Award at the annual team banquet.

2016 (SOPHOMORE): Registered 21 catches for 336 yards and six touchdowns at Northeastern Oklahoma A&M.

2016 (FRESHMAN): Saw action in 10 games as a freshman at the University of Kansas under former Texas A&M wide receiver coach David Beaty … hauled in one pass for a net of five yards … fulfilled various special teams assignments throughout the season.

2015: Redshirted.

HIGH SCHOOL: Credited with a two-star rating by Rivals and 247Sports.com after his senior season at Kingfisher High School… completed his senior season in 2014 playing on both sides of the ball, catching 42 passes for 390 yards and eight touchdowns at tight end… also played defensive end and garnered 53 tackles, 23 tackles-for-loss, 21 sacks, three forced fumbles and six pass breakups… helped his team to a state championship in 2013 after recording nine catches for 191 yards and four touchdowns on offense, while also securing 39 tackles, 6.5 sacks, five pass breakups and four forced fumbles on defense… earned 10 letters during his time at Kingfisher participating in basketball, football and track.

not a fan. foster moreau was still on the board. both players are 6'4", similar weights. moreau is known for his blocking ability but has the speed to develop as a receiver. sternberger is not known as a blocker and just seems too slow for the nfl.

40 yardbenchverticalbroad3-cone20-yd shuttle60-yd shuttle
sternberger4.751731.51137.194.3112.09
moreau4.662236.51217.164.1111.81

not a fan. foster moreau was still on the board. both players are 6'4", similar weights. moreau is known for his blocking ability but has the speed to develop as a receiver. sternberger is not known as a blocker and just seems too slow for the nfl.

40 yardbenchverticalbroad3-cone20-yd shuttle60-yd shuttle
sternberger4.751731.51137.194.3112.09
moreau4.662236.51217.164.1111.81
Good stuff RB..

Another way to look at Sternberger by the numbers compared to the other two top tight ends not named Fant.
Hock ran a 4.7, Stern a 4.75, Irv Smith 4.63
Hock put up 17 on the bench, Stern put up 17 on the bench, Smith had 19
Hock ran a 7.02 3-cone, Stern a 7.19, Smith a 7.32
Hock weighed 251, Stern 251, Smith 242
Hock was better than the other 2 in the jumps, with Stern and Smith nearly identical

Going by the numbers, it's hard to see why Hockenson is top-10 and the other two went much later. Heck Moreau did better than him in some of the workout numbers. It'd be nice if Sternberger was faster and stronger, but it's not like he's woefully short on the measurables end. Sternberger isn't a great athlete, but it's not like he's an outlier. He's right in the middle of the TE pack. Now, Richard Rodgers from a few years ago, he was an outlier - ran a 4.87. (Heck, Bubba Franks was a 4.85 guy and Chmura ran a 5.03 back in the day.) If you can get him a little stronger and more explosive in his routes, he can be solid with a year or two of development. He hasn't played a lot of snaps compared to the other guys so he may have some added upside as well. A little bit of a later bloomer. Hopefully he'll continue to improve.

He's solid value at that spot in the draft going by most boards. The 4 boards I look at the most (Huddle Report, Draft Ace, GBN and TDN) all had Sternberger between 50-80 so I think there is pretty general agreement on value.

TJ:

Congratulations 57packer on this pick in the draft prediction game! Right round, too.

Winner)

Pack also mentioned Jace.

/TJ

Watching the tapes, and enjoying myself. Cheesy)

Sternberger seems a guy who needs to hit the weight room if he can bulk up over next 1-2 years he then might become a decent TE. Right now does not have the size frame to handle blocking.

He is a very smooth route runner. I could see him beating a LB with ease, while having the physicality to contend with a corner or a safety. My questions are about his hands and his blocking. I think he'd get run over trying to run block.

He is a very smooth route runner. I could see him beating a LB with ease, while having the physicality to contend with a corner or a safety. My questions are about his hands and his blocking. I think he'd get run over trying to run block.
He's a willing blocker, but not very good at it. More of a "get in the way" kind of blocker, but we drafted him to beat LB's and safeties.

I think he'll eventually be a really nice safety blanket AND big play threat for Aaron. Definitely a guy that I think will earn his respect quickly, expect year one impact.

Back