With Pick #12 GB Selects Rashan Gary DE/OLB Michigan

I think this is a good pick. Was played out of position and still had an impact on that defense. Pettine will be able to move him around and get good production out of him. A little of a surprise but a good pick.
Played out of position? We was recruit as DL

I get that but when you watched James he popped out on the field from sideline to sideline, you watched Michigan games and Winovich was more active and popped out more
He played with in the scheme of his DC. Even his teammate Devin Bush felt he should have been drafted ahead of him. I'm not ready to say this is the best pick ever but I'm not thinking its a bad pick. I didn't see him taking plays off. He demanded double teams often and even triple teams on running plays. Winovich was the pass rushing end while Gary was the anchor. There is plenty there to be excited about. Speed kills and this team is adding speed with every early pick the last 2 years.

He played with in the scheme of his DC. Even his teammate Devin Bush felt he should have been drafted ahead of him. I'm not ready to say this is the best pick ever but I'm not thinking its a bad pick. I didn't see him taking plays off. He demanded double teams often and even triple teams on running plays. Winovich was the pass rushing end while Gary was the anchor. There is plenty there to be excited about. Speed kills and this team is adding speed with every early pick the last 2 years.

He should have been consistently dominate based on his size and ability, he was not. Actually he might be more productive inside

Been thinking about it, and I think there are two reasons for my disappointment with the Gary pick:

1. Having made heavy financial investments in the outside rush in Preston Smith and Zadarius Smith, taking a risk on a pass rusher with red flags at 12 was a move I felt they no longer needed to make. In other words, if they didn't already have those guys, I could more easily forgive Gute for swinging for the fences a little because the alternative would be starting Kyler Fackrell and Reggie Gilbert. The point IMO of those FA signings was to make sure you didn't reach on a risky player at 12 out of need, leaving the team free to really take BPA. In this case, I think you have to trust Gute and the staff that Gary really was the top player on their board at 12. Which brings me to point #2 -
  2. Despite starting out promising, with Mike Mayock taking Ferrell at 3 and the Giants taking Jones at 6, the strength of the Board gave out right at the #10 spot, and that was very disappointing. At that point Allen, Hock, Oliver, Bush all came off, and that did it for the sure-fire impact guys who presented the combination of athletic traits and production that you're looking for at #12. We were left with having to choose maybe a safer pick like Wilkins, or going for the traits in a guy like Gary or Dillard. So I feel disappointment not just that Gary was the pick, but that there wasn't even anyone else left where you could point to and say yes, that guy is a much better talent. They all had warts at that point. So while I came to a different conclusion - give me Cody Ford, the big, light footed bruising RG/RT and be happy (guy didn't even go in the first) - far be it from me to argue too strongly one way or the other.
All that said, he's a Packer now, I will choose to be an optimist because choosing to be a finger-wagging, told-you-so pessimist is lame, and hell yes I will root like hell for him to succeed.

On the field, one could argue Gary spent three years playing out of position at Michigan. He won't be an even-front defensive end in the NFL. The 6-foot-5, 287-pounder will be a three-technique defensive tackle at the next level if he's in a 4-3. If he's playing in a three-man front, he'll be an end.
At Michigan, he was a strong-side edge setter, a position Greg Mattison and Don Brown call "anchor," whose responsibility was — above all — to set the edge on the strong side of the field to allow others around him the opportunity to make plays. Pass rush from that spot is generally done through chips from backs and tight ends or double teams.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/.../27/michigan-football-rashan-gary/2116685002/

He should have been consistently dominate based on his size and ability, he was not. Actually he might be more productive inside
Consistency was a knock on him, I'll give you that. I actually think inside is where he ends up as well.

A nice collection of clips, good and bad. The question seems to be, how much can Pettine, Smith and Montgomery refine his game. Montgomery has done a nice job IMO with players like Lancaster and Lowry, don't know about Smith but he did help Dee Ford come along. We'll see.

Will be interesting if team uses him only as a stand up LB or if he is moved around and also put on line with hand in the dirt in packages.

Back