With Pick 1 In Round 7 GB Selects RB Devante Mays, Utah State.

Mark87

Carpe Diem
Admin
Reaction score
Website
wisconsinsportstalk.net
SINGLE-GAME RECORDS: His 208 rushing yards against Weber State (9/1/16) rank tied for the 19th-most in a single-game in school history.
CAREER RECORDS: Ranks 21st all-time in rushing with 1,225 yards on 202 carries (6.1 ypc) and seventh all-time in yards per carry at 6.1.
2016 (SR): Played in six games, making two starts… Rushed for a career-high 208 yards on 18 carries and tied his career-high with three touchdowns on runs of 18, 18 and 66 yards in the season-opener against Weber State (9/1)… His 66-yard touchdown run was a career-long… Those 208 rushing yards are tied for the 19th-most in a single-game in school history… Had eight carries for 24 yards and one reception for eight yards at USC (9/10) before suffering an injury… Played in just four games and carried the ball just 11 times for 27 yards the rest of the season.
2015 (JR): Played in all 13 games and made six starts at running back in his first season... Finished the year with 165 carries for 966 yards (5.9 ypr) with nine touchdowns to lead the team in each category... Averaged 74.3 yards per game... Ranked third in the Mountain West and 39th nationally with his 5.9 yards per carry, which ranked ninth all-time in school history for a single-season and tied for seventh all-time at USU for a career... Also ranked seventh in the MW with his nine rushing touchdowns and 10th in the conference with his 74.3 rushing yards per game... Had double-digit carries in each of his last eight games, and in nine of his last 10 games overall, after starting the season with just 16 carries in his first three games combined... Had three 100-yard rushing games during the season, highlighted by a season-best 176 yards on a season-high 22 carries against Wyoming (10/30)... Those 176 rushing yards are the most by an Aggie running back since Kerwynn Williams rushed for 235 yards in the 2012 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl... Also rushed for 133 yards on a season-high-tying 22 carries against Nevada (11/21) and carried the ball 12 times for 124 yards against Akron (12/22) in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl as those 124 yards rank as the 11th-most in Famous Idaho Potato Bowl history... Also had a season-long rush of 61 yards against the Zips... Had a season-high three rushing touchdowns from 5, 41 and 23 yards at Fresno State (10/10) as he carried the ball nine times for 92 yards... Added a 1-yard touchdown run against No. 21 Boise State (10/16) as he carried the ball 11 times for 63 yards... Had 15 carries for 88 yards, including a 26-yard touchdown run, at San Diego State (10/23)... Added a pair of touchdown runs, from 11 and 2 yards, against Wyoming, and had two more touchdown runs, from 5 and 2 yards, against Nevada... Finished the season with three multi-touchdown games and was the first Aggie running back to score a rushing touchdown in four straight games, a feat he accomplished from Oct. 10 at Fresno State to Oct. 30 against Wyoming, since Joey DeMartino had a touchdown run in six straight games in 2013... Finished the season with 23 rushes of at least 10 yards and had 11 runs of at least 20 yards, including three that went for touchdowns... Also caught one pass for nine yards on the season against Southern Utah (9/3).
JUNIOR COLLEGE: Earned Southwest Junior College Football Conference honorable mention honors at running back as a sophomore at Blinn (Texas) Junior College as he rushed for 557 yards on 57 carries (9.8 ypc/92.8 ypg) with three touchdowns in six games, while also catching 11 passes for 127 yards (11.5 ypc)... Recorded four 100-yard rushing games, including a season-best 123 yards on just seven carries against Kilgore JC... Added a season-high four receptions for 36 yards against Trinity Valley CC... Spent his freshman season at Tyler (Texas) Junior College and scored on a 15-yard touchdown run for his only career.
HIGH SCHOOL: Earned Texas Class 4A District 20 first-team honors at running back as a senior at Livingston (Texas) High School as he helped the Lions to a 7-3 record and an appearance in the 4A Region III playoffs as he gained 600 yards on 58 carries (10.3 ypc) with eight touchdowns... Earned Class 4A District 20 first-team honors during his junior season as he rushed for 1,023 yards on 169 carries (6.1 ypc) with 19 touchdowns, while catching 11 passes for 90 yards (8.2 ypc)... Also competed in power-lifting and track & field
PERSONAL: One of 10 children of Mark and Elwanda Mays... Graduated from Utah State in the fall of 2016 with an interdisciplinary studies degree with an emphasis in health and wellness.

Kid really brings it, but you gotta figure that style won't last long in the NFL.

I have to admit, I'm a little puzzled by this pick. I understand that 7th rounders are long-shots and maybe just camp fodder. The thing is, you really don't have room for these guys if it all goes well. You figure Monty is a lock at RB and after that you only have room for 2 more. Sure you might like them, but sometimes you just have to say no. The RB room will be full next year.

Head scratcher. Would have rather seen the late round flyers going to the defensive side right now.

Kid really brings it, but you gotta figure that style won't last long in the NFL.

I have to admit, I'm a little puzzled by this pick. I understand that 7th rounders are long-shots and maybe just camp fodder. The thing is, you really don't have room for these guys if it all goes well. You figure Monty is a lock at RB and after that you only have room for 2 more. Sure you might like them, but sometimes you just have to say no. The RB room will be full next year.

I think conventional wisdom will give you Monty as #1. However, in looking for the '2 more', that's all there are on the roster right now, and I doubt that anyone would tout Jackson or Michael as locks, so (having not seen the UDFA list yet) that's five guys looking for two slots, not to mention the camp fodder that's necessary. Three low draft choices at one position is unusual, but just looking at the numbers, it doesn't seem out of line.

Back