Wisconsin Sports Talk Top 18 and Bottom Five--Rivalry Week edition (week 14)

Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Damn. I was trying to load in a photo of the Land Grant Trophy when that monstrosity (seriously, if you've never seen it, click the link and feast your eyes) popped up as a new page, thus deleting the intro that I had. I should really start doing this on Word and then copying it over.

Anyway, I was talking about how Bedlam was awful, the game being over before the first quarter ended, and OU taking an 85-18-7 lead in the series. For the Pokes, Bedlam is the biggest game of the year, with the words "beat OU" pretty much officially in the school song. For OU, they'll tell you their biggest rival is Texas (and Nebraska, too, once upon a time (just a few years ago), and that OSU is definitely the little brother. I can't come up with another "rivalry" where it's the biggest game of the year for one side, and just not much of a bother for the other. There are only a couple of rivalry games where the records are more lopsided, but many of the other lopsided rivalry games in the country don't carry the same 'oomph' for one of the teams. Notre Dame's record against Navy carries a higher winning pct than OU's over OSU's, but nobody is saying that ND is Navy's biggest rival.

Anyway, here's all you need to know about how I'm doing this week:

View attachment 25

Now, on with the poll!
With a rule change! (see Ohio State's entry*)
  1. Alabama (11-1)--Put away your rival, and managed to do a good enough job doing it. A good looking running back you have there. No new numbers are out yet, but he's the odds-on favorite for the Heisman as of last Tuesday. Let's see how things work out with Florida.
    Dispatched rival: Auburn (last: 1)
  2. Oklahoma (11-1)--well, I can tell you that there is no bigger occasion in Stillwater than the Bedlam football game (remember above OU: 85-18-7 (Wrestling Bedlam series: OSU 134-27-10)) and there is no bigger game promoted by the coaches to the players than this one. And we got absolutely pantsed on National Primetime Television. This is also why I didn't have the Cowboys ranked as high as many others. I knew better than to believe in the Pokes until we played OU.
    Dispatched rival: Oklahoma State (Last: 4)
  3. Clemson (12-0)--I know that I heard on the radio and TV that the game wasn't as close as the score indicated, but seriously guys, you let a 3-8 team with no identity and no motivation come back and make it a 5 point game. That's just...not good. You can move up with a win next weekend.
    Dispatched rival: South Carolina (last: 2)
  4. Ohio State (11-1)--Just absolutely bombed Michigan out of their home turf. Hear me out. You all know how I feel about Iowa. Getting past that, OSU's one-loss is to Michigan State. Michigan State's one-loss is to Nebraska. And MSU never had a lead over the Buckeyes until 00:00, which doesn't necessarily make MSU the better team, just the one with the ball when the game ended. Both teams are without a doubt in my mind better than Iowa. *Also, I've done a really good job of following my "inactive rule" that states a team that doesn't play can't get moved out of its spot. However, with some teams having conference championship games and others still having regular season games, for the last week of the season the rule is waived.
    Dispatched rival: Michigan (Last: 7)
  5. Michigan State (11-1)--Blew up a Penn State team that finishes the regular season 7-5, but best win (and only win over a team with a winning record) is against San Diego State. Beat Iowa and I'll have you in the final four.
    Dispatched rival: Penn State (yes, an official rivalry, see horrendous trophy above) (Last: 6)
  6. Stanford (10-2)--I don't think there's a realistic shot that Stanford makes it in the playoff because in the real world Iowa is in front of them too, but they can definitely make ours. The committee made it clear that ND isn't that special this year, so I don't know what they'll make of Stanford's win. The B1G is poised to get two teams in should Clemson or Alabama falter.
    Dispatched rival: Notre Dame (Last: 13)
  7. Florida State (10-2)--I wasn't prepared to move you in here, but you kept Florida out of the endzone (in fact, all the action took place in your own endzone) and I like shutouts. I'm note sure who's better, you or NC, but you each have your terrible losses.
    Dispatched rival: Florida (Last: 14)
  8. North Carolina (11-1)--So far either @Pitt or home vs Duke is your best win, and that South Carolina loss is not good. You'll get your shot for the auto bid to my playoff, but even with just 1 loss, you'll be on the outside looking in.
    Dispatched rival: NC State (Last: 15)
  9. Houston (11-1)--I didn't think there was any way you'd pull it out over Navy, and you did. Which bothers me. I was hoping for Navy to put a wrench in the whole playoff thing, but it doesn't look like they will. I'm not even sure the Middies will make a "New Year's Six" bowl. Gosh, I guess I'll have to talk about Houston in Navy's entry. (Last: NR)
  10. Iowa (12-0)--You'll make the CFB Playoff with a win over Michigan State, but you didn't have the most impressive win this weekend. But you've somehow stumbled to an undefeated record.
    Dispatched rival: Nebraska (last: 10)
  11. Notre Dame (10-2)--Well, there goes your season. Have to hope you can save a top place to get a good bowl game. Otherwise, the bowl sponsors will trip over themselves to offer you a trip.
    Hindered by rival: Stanford (last: 3)
  12. Temple (10-2)--Nearly shut out UConn, and I think you've done enough to prove yourself over some of the 3-4 loss power teams. You can take the place of Toledo. (Last: NR)
  13. Navy (9-2)--Bummer about the loss, but you probably played your way out of a New Year's day bowl. You'd have needed your conference's championship and Houston has taken that from you. (last: 9)
  14. Northwestern (10-2)--only losses are to Michigan on the road and at home by Iowa (although you got fairly drubbed in both games). Enjoy the Cap One Bowl, you hosers.
    Dispatched rival: Illinois (Last: NR)
  15. Western Kentucky (10-2)--Other than that strange loss to Indiana (who is bowl eligible!) a pretty good season.
    Dispatched rival?: Marshall (Last: NR)
  16. Michigan (9-3)--Yeah, you got toasted, but I feel like that more about this game than you as a team. I still think you're pretty good.
    Hindered by rival: Ohio State (last: 11)
  17. Florida (10-2)--looking ahead to Alabama?
    Hindered by rival: Florida State (last: 8)
  18. Wisconsin (9-3)--My poll, my picks. If this UW team had shown up at any point during the season, we'd all have felt a lot better. Now this might just be how bad Minnesota is, but I certainly don't mind. San Diego is nice.
    Dispatched rival: Minnesota (Last: NR)
Dropped Out: Baylor, Oklahoma State, Toledo

The Bottom Five
124. Auburn, Georgia Tech, Missouri--
All top ranked teams earlier this season (two of them in this poll!) and seriously limping to the finish. (last: all have been here at some point)
125. Texas--lost to TT for just the 3rd time in the last 15 years, terribly rough season for the Horns, but that's just fine with me. (last: NR)
126. Oregon State--Well Gary, one season and two wins later, here you are. Have a good off-season! (last: NR)
127. Minnesota--Definitely making changes this offseason, but my goodness, I applaud your complete inability to play football at times. I hope the next coaching staff is as inept as the interim staff. (last: NR)
128. Kansas-- A 45-14 loss to KState, just a perfect way to end your season. What is the BigXII gonna do when they need to replace your football program? (last: 128)

Climbed out of the Pit: South Carolina, Iowa State, Duke
Enjoy your offseason in HELL! Auburn, Georgia Tech, Mizzou, Texas, Oregon State, Minnesota, Kansas
Lost in the Styx: Louisville

Teams Still Alive for an Auto-Bid to Crease Creature's College Football Playoff:
Clemson, North Carolina, Houston, Temple, Iowa, Michigan State, W. Kentucky, Southern Miss, Northern Illinois, Bowling Green, San Diego State, Air Force, Stanford, USC, Alabama, Florida, Arkansas State, Appalachian State
Clinched a Playoff Bid:
Oklahoma
Dropped Out:
Navy, Ok State, Baylor, Ohio State, Marshall, Louisiana Tech, Toledo, UCLA, Utah, Georgia Southern.

UPDATE: Our poll came out two days before the committee's, here's what they did:
(0) = no change in ranking
(=/- #) = change from previous week
(N/R) = not ranked previous week
  1. Clem (0)
  2. Bama (0)
  3. OU (0)
  4. Iowa (0)
  5. MSU (0)
  6. Ohio St (+2)
  7. Stanford (+2)
  8. ND (-2)
  9. FSU (+4)
  10. NorCar (+4)
  11. TCU (+8) (very much an indication of the shakeup outside the top 10)
  12. Baylor (-5)
  13. Ole Miss (+5)
  14. Northwestern (+2)
  15. Michigan (-5)
  16. Oregon (+1)
  17. Ok State (-6)
  18. Florida (-6)
  19. Houston (N/R)
  20. USC (N/R)
  21. LSU (N/R)
  22. Temple (+3)
  23. Navy (-8)
  24. Utah (-1)
  25. Tennessee (N/R)
Committee clearly has more respect for 3 and 4 loss teams than I do.

Big day of College ball. Looking forward to the SEC and Big Ten match ups

CBS must be doing some Star Wars cross promotion thing because they have Jabba the Hutt working as an analyst for the SEC Championship. No wait, that's Bielema...

Auto bids are all set!

Now just waiting to get my numbers crunched to see if I have to wait until after Army-Navy to do the 6 at-large bids. My initial reaction is "no, ND losing doesn't do Navy any favors"

But that's what the numbers are for. I'll probably get those done today, maybe tomorrow. I will probably also wait for the committee to announce their rankings. See just how far up the moved a few teams.

Back