Wisconsin Sports Talk CFB Top 20 and Bottom Five (week 6)

Crease Creature

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Just about halfway through the season, and what I think I've learned so far is that there just isn't really that one, dominant team. At least so far. Lots of flaws on a lot of contenders.

Also, this may be just me, but I'm really digging the fluid status of the various polls (AP, Coaches, etc...), where I feel that for the first time that I can remember, teams aren't getting rewarded for just winning. Case in point: Utah received 16 first place votes in the AP poll, and is in 4th. I wonder if that's because these things are now irrelevant. Anyway, here's the lay of the land, with a focus on what lies ahead.

1. LSU--I'm going with you guys as my number one. You've got one heck of an interesting schedule set up, but I believe you'll take Florida this weekend, and can handle road games against 'bama and Mississippi before finishing with A&M at home. Your defense should be just good enough, and your ground game is in good hands. Though if you implode, fine by me :) (Last: 3)
  2. Clemson--really only one big game remaining for you (Nov 7, FSU at home), but road heavy second half could get ya. Your schedule was not/is not tough, but by the virtue that TCU/Baylor and Ohio St/Michigan St have to play each other, if you make it though, you'll be in the Final Four. I think the whole world, though, is waiting for you to screw it up in your usual fashion. (Last: 7)
  3. Utah--win over Michigan is more and more impressive, drubbing Oregon was nice. Beast of a schedule before you yet, if the Pac-12 has any punch left. Hard to argue against what you have done, though, and who you've done it too. (Last: 9)
  4. TCU--beat scrappy KState on the road by a touchdown. Entire season is going to come down to last game (Nov 27) at home against Baylor, unless my Pokes trip you up Nov 7 or OU catches you looking Nov 21. You guys have been really up and down. (last: 2)
  5. Alabama-- So maybe Georgia wasn't any better than that, but you can stay here for beating Arkansas. I'll allow it. On the road this week @ A&M should really help clear things up in the SEC, with that showdown with LSU just a few weeks away. (Last: 5)
  6. Ohio State--I still don't think you've shaken your funk, but you've got 5 weeks before any serious competition presents itself, but two Michigan teams back to back could be what breaks you. (Last: 6)
  7. Michigan State--prevailing against Rutgers the way you did, after letting Purdue hang around... I honestly believe you guys are much better than you look. This week is your 'prove it' game with 'big brother' in the "Big House" does Dantonio prevail against Harbaugh? (Last: 4)
  8. Texas A&M--inactive--a bye week before 'bama at home, then on the road to Ole Miss before 4 weeks of nobodies (this year) until Nov 28 game @ LSU (Last; 8)
  9. Baylor--If you guys had shut out Kansas, I'd have moved you into the top 5. Watch the road ahead, when the calendar turns to November, we'll get to see just how good you are. @KState, home vs OU, @Ok State, @TCU (Last: 15)
  10. Mississippi--well that's one way to recover from a big loss, blowout perennial loser NM State. The rest of your schedule shapes up well for you, catching A&M and LSU at home, while getting to go blow up Auburn on the road and finishing away @ Miss St for your rivalry game. (Last: 10)
  11. Michigan--I don't really want you here, but nobody else has made a case to move up, and several teams that did win behind here are actually going to fall out of my rankings. You shut out NW, and those always carry extra points with me and you've done it three weeks in a row, so I guess I can justify the jump. In your part of the B1G, you've got a few chances to show us what you've got, starting Satruday. With the issues south of the Border (and the personality that is your head coach), you have as good a chance as anybody to be one of the last Four. It hurts saying such things. (last: NR)
  12. Florida State--not getting a bump b/c you deserve it, but you are a better team than the ones behind you, I think. You only have 4 teams on your schedule right now that are/were ranked this season, 2 of them no longer are. A clear case of sticking to the old adage of "just win, baby." (last: 14)
  13. Notre Dame--you've got the suddenly reeling USC Trojans on tap (I'm not sure if that's a pun or not, alcoholism is a serious issue), with games against Temple right after and nothing much til Stanford on Nov 28. Like I said, if Clemson is your only loss, the only team in my top 10 that doesn't play at least one of the others is Utah. Somehow, I feel like the committee will find a way to justify you getting in. (Last: 17)
  14. Toledo--just keep winning, just keep winning, just keep winning winning winning. (last: 19)
  15. Oklahoma State--I'll take an OT win on the road against a decent WVU team. A home date with Kansas before a road trip to Lubbock is just what you guys need. TCU looms after, then Baylor two weeks later, both at home. I'm not confident. Bedlam should go your way though. (last: 18)
  16. Stanford--inactive darn, I'd have moved you guys up, too. I'm not sure what to make of the rest of your season. UCLA could claw its way back if you let them. (last: 16)
  17. Iowa--if you really wanted to be here, you'd have done more against Illinois. Northwestern this week (winner will lead B1G West), then not much til Nov 14 and Minnesota. It's yours to lose Herky. (Last: NR)
  18. Temple--wins over real teams Penn State and Cincinnati (they were real not too long ago, right?) get you in over Houston. Three more weeks til you're at Notre Dame, and we'll see what you're made of. (Last: NR)
  19. Boise State--two shut outs on the year, and your only loss was to a then-really good BYU team (4 quarterbacks ago), but with nobody left on your schedule there's really nowhere for you to go. (last: NR)
  20. Northwestern--this at least sets up a showdown between ranked teams this weekend. You guys got obliterated by Michigan on Saturday. We'll see how you do. (Last: 11)
Thanks for participating: His Lordship, the Duke of Randall, 4th Earl of the Iowa Backfield, the Queen's Minister of Disruptiveness, the Right Hon. Sir Joe Schobert
Newcomers: Michigan, Iowa, Temple, Boise State
Help, I'm falling! Florida*, OU, USC,
On the Radar: Florida*, Penn State, Navy, Cal, Ohio
*Florida's suspension of their qb doesn't sit well with me, especially what he got busted for. They fall out for now, but don't land in the bottom five. I'm not a fan of one guy screwing the whole team, even for pretend. They win this week, they're back in and up high.

The Bottom Five
124. UCLA--
inactive, can't be moved. Really, check the rules. (last: 124)
125. Oklahoma--seriously, I don't know what happened here, but it couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of dudes. A chance to absolutely make sure this season went down in Texas lore as the most craptacular, instead they'll always be able to point to a victory in the Shootout. (last: 12)
126. USC-- I do hope that Sark gets the help he needs, but what a plummet from where expectations were for USC coming in to this season. (last; 20)
127. Arkanschadenfreudesas--hey! You made it back, that didn't take long. What the heck was that crap pulled by Bielema drawing a penalty by flopping, then dancing around about it. For real people, youtube that junk. This was just a sour enough instance to put you here and keep South Carolina off the list.
128. Minnesota--your stadium sucks

Climbed out of the Pit: Tennessee, Nebraska
Temporarily given a reprieve: Kansas
Welcome to HELL! OU, USC, Arkanschadefreudesas

Back