Wisconsin Game Today: Wisconsin vs. Arizona State Prediction, Odds, Spread, Line, Over/Under & Betting Info for Las Vegas Bowl

I accept that part of the passing game problem is personnel, but I believe a larger part is the scheme, strategy, or plan - whatever you want to call it. That includes pass protection, routes, and making the reads. Pass protection was not good. Even if our guys are not the most talented, other passing attacks free up guys who aren't any more talented than ours. And, Mertz just doesn't seem to be progressing, he's got 1 target and if they don't get open he seems lost. Last night he made several very good throws, but he's not consistent.

We don't need a fancy 300+ yard per game passing attack. But we need one that can be counted on. When the box is jammed to stop the run, somebody has to be open for just a few yards to take the pressure off the run game.

I doubt much will change, but I believe it's more coaching the passing attack than it is lack of talent.

On to next year

Good win to end the year. Been a nice ride. On to next year!

We have to accept Mertz is going to be here 2 more years. PC has no interest in seeking a upgrade at QB. Bigger issue we have is that PC needs to get a QB to replace Mertz after 2023. Will Deacon Hill be a viable starter by then as a redshirt sophmore? Also will PC ever take time to recurit any WR's? The Badgers have never attempted to do anything but go the big OL and run the ball with accepting to have average to below average talent at QB and WR because they were never to be counted on to have to win games for UW.

Personally it’s more personal than scheme. 2 years ago scheme was fine with 23 at HB, NFL caliber OL play and Q @ WR who now plays on Sunday’s. That’s team was one fumble away from winning the rose bowl.

This year you had a very good but raw RB, a pedestrian OL, WR’s who could not beat press (yes one was a 4 star kid) and a QB who was candidly overrated by fans. Yes you can blame the staff for some recruiting issue but the class ranks the last 2-3 years sans this year have been adequate.

I put much of the recent recruiting issue on staff changes, we lost some good dudes, the inability to develop OL and some other evaluation issues.

It’s UW, we are not OSU of Michigan or PSU. Expectations.

Back