Wisconsin football recruiting: Updates on Keldric Preston, Patrick Johnson II, Tavante Beckett,

JakeKocoB5Q

Reaction score
16075890004_a5672d65ee_o.0.0.jpg

A commitment reminder and more updates from Badgers targets

While we wait for the Big Ten Conference media day extravaganza starting late next week, and in general, college football to officially start -- we always have recruiting.

Keldric Preston commitment reminder

Tampa (Robinson), Fla. defensive end Keldric Preston is set to announce his verbal commitment Monday. The 247Sports composite three-star recruit does have offers from Penn State, Miami, Pittsburgh and Mississippi State.

Crystal ball predictions now show a 50-50 split between the Hurricanes and the Badgers, though many experts have Wisconsin gaining momentum in the past week.

Preston is 6'4, 240 pounds, and the 73rd-ranked weak-side defensive end in the nation according to 247Sports' composite rankings and 121st-ranked defensive end overall by Scout.com

Stay tuned on Monday for a possible "COMMIT ALERT" if Preston does verbally commit to Wisconsin.

Change of plans I'll be announcing my decision on Monday July 20th live on T.V I would like to thank @BHSN for allowing me this opportunity

— Kp (@ThatBoi_Kp) July 14, 2015
Patrick Johnson II to visit Wisconsin this week

Patrick Johnson II has scheduled his visit to Wisconsin for Wednesday, July 22 according to Badger247's Evan Flood. Per Flood:

"Johnson will be on campus the same week as four-star defensive tackle Garrett Rand, three-star wide receiver Demari Simpkins, and Wisconsin commit Dallas Jeanty."

That's quite the quartet of prospects visiting Wisconsin this week.

247Sports Crystal Ball predictions shows Flood believing Johnson to commit to the Badgers, but he notes Wisconsin is amongst a top six that includes Michigan State, Oklahoma, West Virginia, PIttsburgh, and North Carolina. Johnson's also been offered by Georgia, N.C. State, and Rutgers.

Tavante Beckett to make decision after UW visit

Chesapeake (Indian River), Va., linebacker Tavante Beckett will wait until after he visits Madison to make a decision on his future ($). Beckett has expressed solid interest in both Wisconsin and Virginia Tech but has yet to visit the Wisconsin campus.

247Sports composite rankings hold the 6'0, 215-pound Beckett as the 61st-best outside linebacker in the nation. Along with Virginia Tech, he has received offers from Indiana, Marshall, Temple, East Carolina, and Delaware.

The Hokies continue to hold 100 percent of the 247Sports crystal ball predictions.

Smiley still interested in Wisconsin

BadgerNation.com's Ben Worgull caught up with Pensacola (Catholic), Fla. cornerback Simeon Smiley, who is admittedly a soft verbal to South Alabama and looking at other programs.

Smiley is a composite three-star recruit with offers from Louisville, Minnesota, South Florida and Marshall, among others.

Though the 6'1, 205-pound Smiley notes the Gophers are his favorite, he is interested in Wisconsin if the opportunity to take an official visit is given:

Wisconsin and Smiley haven't been in a lot of contact since the Badgers offered him in the spring, but he hopes to take an official visit to the school in the fall if the school is still interested.

"I plan on talking to the coaches from Wisconsin to see if I can come up there (for an official)," said Smiley. "I want to see the campus and the environment. I go to a small school, so I want to see if I can adapt. Wisconsin is a really good school and a big school. I want to see if the coaches treat me like family and if I fit in. I want to talk to some of the players and see how everything goes."

Continue reading...

Back