Wisconsin Football: Mertz drops the Mayo Bowl trophy

He's a solid kid but he needs a real QB coach and some WR... my god he's throwing to walk on's except 1 vs the other teams starting CB for 4 weeks. Let's see what he looks like in a normal season with his regular starting 11.
Not to hijack this discussion but thoughts about a passing game coordinator as opposed to a QB coach. Budmyer is already on staff in that capacity, he’s a solid recruiter. A Shaun Lewis type maybe

He's a solid kid but he needs a real QB coach and some WR... my god he's throwing to walk on's except 1 vs the other teams starting CB for 4 weeks. Let's see what he looks like in a normal season with his regular starting 11.
yes, i agree. imagine if the packers only had one real receiver.

What will be on the roster next year at WR and TE?

Not to hijack this discussion but thoughts about a passing game coordinator as opposed to a QB coach. Budmyer is already on staff in that capacity, he’s a solid recruiter. A Shaun Lewis type maybe
I have zero faith in Budmyer to develop a QB, I would go for a QB/Passing game coordinator hybrid coach. And truthfully Joe's play-calling hindered him a bunch as well.

I have zero faith in Budmyer to develop a QB, I would go for a QB/Passing game coordinator hybrid coach. And truthfully Joe's play-calling hindered him a bunch as well.
Yeah we are on the same page as play calling.

Mertz did a dumb thing, but for now I'm going to give him a break because to me he still seems like a bit of an immature kid. What bugged me a little was him laughing about it in the interview. If you want to be a leader then be a little more of a stand-up guy and be remorseful about your stupidity.

This team struggled in multiple facets all year and in yesterday's game a lot of the same struggles continued.
- their WR group is below average for the Big-10 when healthy, and worse without Pryor and Davis.
- the O-line was not as good as normal at run blocking and needs to take a step forward next year.
- Mertz needs to up his mental game and make better decisions on when/where "not" to throw the ball.
- they don't have as much talent at the RB position as in previous years. Hopefully the 3 new frosh will help in 2021.
- the OLBs were not generating much pressure, forcing Leonard to blitz more and leave DBs hung out to dry more often.
- they had depth at CB, but Wildgoose was the only guy playing at a high level. They need to find another guy there.
- not the biggest priority, but geez, you would think a perennial top-20 team could find a little better kicker.

2020 was a mess for everyone including college football. Lots of missed time for players due to Covid and more than the usual amount of injuries. Hopefully a healthier 2021 with some maturity and experience will move the Badgers back into the drivers seat in the West. Let's also hope that highly ranked freshman class brings something to the table as well.

Mertz did a dumb thing, but for now I'm going to give him a break because to me he still seems like a bit of an immature kid. What bugged me a little was him laughing about it in the interview. If you want to be a leader then be a little more of a stand-up guy and be remorseful about your stupidity.

This team struggled in multiple facets all year and in yesterday's game a lot of the same struggles continued.
- their WR group is below average for the Big-10 when healthy, and worse without Pryor and Davis.
- the O-line was not as good as normal at run blocking and needs to take a step forward next year.
- Mertz needs to up his mental game and make better decisions on when/where "not" to throw the ball.
- they don't have as much talent at the RB position as in previous years. Hopefully the 3 new frosh will help in 2021.
- the OLBs were not generating much pressure, forcing Leonard to blitz more and leave DBs hung out to dry more often.
- they had depth at CB, but Wildgoose was the only guy playing at a high level. They need to find another guy there.
- not the biggest priority, but geez, you would think a perennial top-20 team could find a little better kicker.

2020 was a mess for everyone including college football. Lots of missed time for players due to Covid and more than the usual amount of injuries. Hopefully a healthier 2021 with some maturity and experience will move the Badgers back into the drivers seat in the West. Let's also hope that highly ranked freshman class brings something to the table as well.
the two things you used to be able to count on with the badgers were a great o-line and at least one top notch running back. in recent years, you could be pretty sure of a strong defense as well. i hope this year was just an aberration and things look more normal in 2021. otherwise, i'm concerned about the recruiting.

the two things you used to be able to count on with the badgers were a great o-line and at least one top notch running back. in recent years, you could be pretty sure of a strong defense as well. i hope this year was just an aberration and things look more normal in 2021. otherwise, i'm concerned about the recruiting.
Couple of things did not go as planned. Brown, a 5 Star LT has been hurt for 2 years and finally saw the field yesterday, missed on 2 RB’s Davis and Watson who just have not developed and Berger was hurt in camp

Back