Wisconsin Football: Instant reactions to Wisconsin’s loss to Penn State

Or your HC and staff is overconfident in the team they have or completely out of touch?
Been thinking about your culture comment you made. More times than not the "locker room knows" who should be out there. The 2019 team had confidence in Coan, granted they had Taylor and "Q" at WR but take away the Illinois game they played really well and consistent. Coan gets hurt and Mertz is handed the job. Then the "open competition", Coan to ND and here we are. IF and no way of knowing but IF that "open competition" was just window dressing that could cause some dissension. Then Khalif to MSU, other staff changes maybe there is something there

Last edited:
Been thinking about your culture comment you made. More times than not the "locker room knows" who should be out there. The 2019 team had confidence in Coan, granted they had Taylor and "Q" at WR but take away the Illinois game they played really well and consistent. Coan gets hurt and Mertz is handed the job. Then the "open competition", Coan to ND and here we are. IF and no way of knowing but IF that "open competition" was just window dressing that could cause some dissension. Then Khalif to MSU, other staff changes maybe there is something there
There a lot of things not passing the sniff test the past few years, go back and read what the Pitt fans said about PC and get back to me.... a lot of the same stuff is happening at UW.

Hopefully we won't know until we beat Notre Dame and Michigan. Back on the Homer train.

Beating Eastern Michigan won't show anything even if it's a big score.

Me thinks Bucky read the headlines of being undefeated, and all their NIL stuff and thought it would be a walk and were not mentally prepared - especially on offense. If not we're 1-3 or 0-4.

Hopefully we won't know until we beat Notre Dame and Michigan. Back on the Homer train.

Beating Eastern Michigan won't show anything even if it's a big score.

Me thinks Bucky read the headlines of being undefeated, and all their NIL stuff and thought it would be a walk and were not mentally prepared - especially on offense. If not we're 1-3 or 0-4.
Well we only have 2 NIL deals in place and they are far from earth shattering. The reality is the majority of the issues that happened Saturday happened in 2020 and it’s not just player related.

Didn't both Mertz and the offensive line sign them to quite a bit of fan fare?

Bucky teams - all sports - for God knows what reason have frequently appeared to read the headlines of how great they were, believed those headlines, believed they'd walk over their opponents, come out flat and not mentally prepared, and been beat.

Mission BBQ may not be super food after all

Didn't both Mertz and the offensive line sign them to quite a bit of fan fare?

Bucky teams - all sports - for God knows what reason have frequently appeared to read the headlines of how great they were, believed those headlines, believed they'd walk over their opponents, come out flat and not mentally prepared, and been beat.
well in comparison to other deals they are peanuts. And again, this was not overlooking PSU, thats the least of my concerns

There a lot of things not passing the sniff test the past few years, go back and read what the Pitt fans said about PC and get back to me.... a lot of the same stuff is happening at UW.
Looking back, I do remember that there were mixed emotions about his leaving Pitt. He hadn't done much to make them a better team. But, that was kind of misleading, because his main body of recruiting was just about to be a productive part of the Pitt program. I'm speaking particularly of their offensive line. Granted, the defense was a shambles. Not certain how to address that problem.

As far as the locker room, I can't say what the feelings were. I'm still in a quandry on that at Wisconsin. He seems so laid back that it's kind of hard to gauge what the feelings are, behind the scenes. As far as his choosing the pecking order of players, I can't say he did, or didn't do the right things, with the offense. On defense, I think that's on Leonhard's shoulders.

My questions revolve more around Rudolph. Is he a problem, instead of a help? He seems to be trying to "move up" and I'm not certain there's any place for him to go at this point, except to another organization as a HC. That said, why haven't schools been working hard to get him to join them? I think Temple was the only school to interview him? Can't recall for sure.

Then there's the pay scale situation. Last year they gave Rudolph a pay cut and changed his responsibilities. I wonder if there's some resentment there? After all, he was an assistant in Madison for 10 years, and here comes Leonhard, who gets a raise, and is now making just short of twice what Rudolph is. Does it matter? I don't know to be honest.

But, I do think that this year will be the last one with Rudolph being a coach at Wisconsin. I see a change coming. In all honestly, for the better. He's been there 10 years, and has watched Chryst, who was an assistant leave for Pitt, then come back - over him as HC. Then the Leonhard situation. There has to be some degree of resentment there. It's just plain human nature.

So, what do you see Mark?

One thing I am beginning to question is some of the moves that Alvarez made as AD in regards to the FB program. I do think that elevating BB was the right call but clearly he missed on Anderson and now some questions about Chryst. Hiring PC was the easy hire, UW blood, played at UW and probably the feeling was to reinstall the UW / Alvarez culture. Barry had done so much for the program it’s hard to be critical but he’s Teflon in Madison. Nobody was going to question him or challenge him. See the McIntosh hire. My fear is not Chryst as much as what happens if a move needs to be made. I just don’t have the confidence in McIntosh to make the right move and take the cardinal and white glasses off

I've been wondering if a pair of generational type RB's back to back (Gordon and Taylor) have given PC the impression that this run-run-pass type offense that is far too predictable can be regularly successful in todays college game.

Now certainly part of the problem on offense is the lack of high level talent at WR, but still for what he's doing to work he needs exceptional running backs and stellar line play. Right now he has neither one. The real crime is the OL. This is where recruiting is at a high level and where sufficient talent is regularly available to the staff. It's a total waste to squander the one facet of offense that UW should have an advantage.

Back