Wisconsin Football: Instant reactions to Wisconsin’s loss to Penn State

The million dollar gorilla in the room is that for $4m or so your not going to attract talent unless your willing to open up the checkbook and that includes the assistant pool. 10 win seasons make the bank account look good. Now to Marks point on things getting stale, season ticket numbers are down but to be fair that’s national not just a Madison issue.

I don’t know what the answer is, your are what you are when it comes to recruiting, your facilities are average and your budgets are not Fort Knox
Don't disagree, Iowa State isn't spectacular at all but look what Campbell did in Ames by changing the culture.

Don't disagree, Iowa State isn't spectacular at all but look what Campbell did in Ames by changing the culture.
Agree but can they sustain his pay and keep him? Probably not. Will the next guy sustain the success? Odds are no. Even FSU & Florida had some lean years, Miami. It’s almost like the small market MLB analogy, you don’t have unlimited resources like Bama or Clemson or UCLA or Michigan. I know people don’t like hearing this but figure out what you are and embrace it.

Chryst is 8th highest salary in Big 10, and 28th nationally. I think the Badgers would need to do a lot of work to get up to the $8-9 mill a year that guys like Saban are making. Also, need to add a huge chunk for assistants, to get the best.

HC Salaries

Chryst is 8th highest salary in Big 10, and 28th nationally. I think the Badgers would need to do a lot of work to get up to the $8-9 mill a year that guys like Saban are making. Also, need to add a huge chunk for assistants, to get the best.

HC Salaries
What’s it’s not showing is how the compensation is broken down. Base + foundation $$ + misc. I know the case of Florida State the Seminole Boosters pay a nice chunk of that. Jimmy L get some comp from UW Foundation. The fact he’s 8th in the conference goes to my point. What is a realistic “get”

Agree but can they sustain his pay and keep him? Probably not. Will the next guy sustain the success? Odds are no. Even FSU & Florida had some lean years, Miami. It’s almost like the small market MLB analogy, you don’t have unlimited resources like Bama or Clemson or UCLA or Michigan. I know people don’t like hearing this but figure out what you are and embrace it.
This is where we part company somewhat, I don't believe because of pay and academics you have to settle. To be blunt and this isn't personal, but alumni like yourself and many more need to get the hell of that and hold the bar higher... hold the admins bar higher.

Barry ball and all that this is who we are stuff over the past 25 years has you all snowed. You CAN BE greater if you only allow it. Yes, Pack it's possible to achieve more with less...been there done that but step 1 in any program is not
"accepting who we are" but "demanding more from everyone every day" Change the culture.

Not much more to add but I will say PC and his staff are very complacent in their approach. I think Paul has a hard time taking a spread option kid and getting them to flow in his system. A younger OC might do wonders but like Barry and BB I am not sure his ego would allow him to cede control.

Defensivly, Wisconsin has issues in the secondary because there aren't athletic enough and that was on display a lot last weekend. JL defense would be epic if they had 2 shut down corners.

This is where we part company somewhat, I don't believe because of pay and academics you have to settle. To be blunt and this isn't personal, but alumni like yourself and many more need to get the hell of that and hold the bar higher... hold the admins bar higher.

Barry ball and all that this is who we are stuff over the past 25 years has you all snowed. You CAN BE greater if you only allow it. Yes, Pack it's possible to achieve more with less...been there done that but step 1 in any program is not
"accepting who we are" but "demanding more from everyone every day" Change the culture.
Maybe 10-15 years yes, but the landscape has drastically changed. Has anyone broken the CFP Playoff the since its inception because of culture? Unfortunately not.

Now with expanded playoffs yes that can change but I have no preconceived notion that anyone not named Ohio State will dominate this conference for the next 5 years. Bottom line SEC 1&2 are mortal locks to make it, ACC champ is one more and an undefeated B1G probably gets in.

I would love to see a perfect storm and see UW be in the conversation but unfortunately that’s not today’s college football

Here in a nutshell is the B1G challenge. Iowa is basically playing an elimination game tomorrow in Ames. PSU is good but not in OSU zip code. Michigan? It’s like the 80’s. The Big 2 and Little 8 but in reality it’s the Big 1 and the rest

Back