Will the Packers extend any of their offensive linemen in 2016?

Da-news-now

RSS Reporter
Reporter
Reaction score
usa-today-9083518.0.jpg

Green Bay has six linemen hitting the market next spring; we look at what factors affect whether any of them may get new deals before they become free agents.

It's a refrain that has been repeated over and over again this offseason - the Green Bay Packers' offensive line is going to be shaken up in 2017. The team has four notable players on the two-deep set to hit free agency after the 2016 season, plus a couple of other deeper reserves whose contracts expire. Three of those players are starters, and it's likely that the Packers' line will look different next season.

GM Ted Thompson did this spring what he has done often in his tenure - identify a future need and address it a year before it becomes urgent. His drafting of Indiana tackle Jason Spriggs and Stanford lineman Kyle Murphy signify his recognition that injury depth and adding a long-term starter or two was a necessity.

Still, we are left wondering if the Packers can or will extend any of their key free agents during the 2016 season. With just under $10 million in salary cap space (according to Over the Cap), there's a possibility that they might be able to sign one or two of the starters to new deals. Here's a look at what each of these players might look for in free agency if they are to reach the open market next March and what factors might play into the team's and the players' decisions during the season.

David Bakhtiari, LT

6'4", 310; Age 24

We know that left tackles get paid more than any other position on the offensive line, and the Packers have benefited from having a solid left tackle on his rookie contract for the past three years and in 2016. Bakhtiari will come with a hefty price tag, however, if he at least maintains his level of play this season; if he continues to improve, look out. 12 left tackles around the league have contracts that pay them an average of $9 million or more, and 18 get at least $7 million per season. That $7M per year number is probably the bare minimum for Bakhtiari on the open market.

Given that former Steelers tackle Kelvin Beachum got five years and $45M total from the Jaguars this offseason after starting an average of 10 games per year in his first four years (while Bakhtiari has missed just two regular season games in three seasons), that number is definitely a possibility. Thompson might have to pay up in the $8 million per year range if he wants to extend Bakhtiari mid-season, and it would not be unreasonable for the tackle to still want to see what he could get on the open market even if that offer were on the table.

Josh Sitton, LG

6'3", 318; Age 30

A mainstay at guard since 2009, Sitton now a three-time Pro Bowler and has not seen his play dip by any significant measure. He has been less available in practice during the season, but that isn't affecting his play on the field. Sitton is currently the seventh-highest-paid guard in the league, earning $6.75M per year, and due to contract inflation he probably would be in line for another big deal, perhaps in the $8M/year range. That would put him behind only Kelechi Osemele, whose $11.7M/year deal blows all other guards out of the water.

The bet here, though, is that the Packers will want to see him maintain his ability to stay healthy and effective throughout his age 30 season (he turns 30 on June 16th) and that they will work to re-sign him after the season ends instead of trying to reach a deal before then.

T.J. Lang, RG

6'4", 318; Age 28

The other part of the Packers' guard tandem is Lang, whose $6.5M/year deal ends after this season. He hits age 29 in September and is therefore a year behind Sitton in the age equation. He also has appeared to have fewer nagging injuries over the years, missing less practice time, and has missed just two games since taking over as a starter in 2011 - the same number as his teammate over that span. Like Sitton, he is probably in line for a deal around the $8M/year mark.

However, my bet is that Lang would be the most likely of these three players to get a deal done during the season. The guard market is fairly well-established, so he and Sitton likely have a clear idea of what he would get in free agency. Either he or Sitton could get a deal done early on, but Lang's age and injury history seem to me to make him the better choice to lock in right away.

JC Tretter, C/G/T

6'4", 307; Age 25

Tretter's ability to play practically every position on the offensive line was put to the test in 2016, as he filled in as a starter at both center and left tackle while being listed as a center/guard on the official roster. He was of course pegged as the Packers' starter at center in his second year in 2014, before injuring his knee and giving way to Corey Linsley.

The intriguing part about Tretter is the question of whether he could project as a starting-caliber guard. It seems like a no-brainer that the Packers will try to keep Corey Linsley around long-term, and it also looks likely that Jason Spriggs would be seen as the left tackle of the future if they are unable to bring Bakhtiari back. Those moves would limit Tretter to either guard or a continued role as a versatile sixth lineman.

It's not hard to imagine a team going after Tretter in free agency as a starter at center, though, so he would likely want a significant promise of at least an opportunity to start in 2017 as well as appropriate compensation. Would it be worth $3-4 million per year for a potential starter and critical depth piece who can play all over? And would Tretter accept such a deal?

Don Barclay, G/T

6'4", 305; Age 27

Barclay is no lock to make the team in 2016, let alone to return for 2017, but he is on a one-year, league-minimum deal for this season and deserves some mention for his play pre-ACL tear. Post-tear in 2015, however, he was just not good. Even if he makes the team this year, he won't be more than a back-of-the-bench piece.

Matt Rotheram, G/C

6'5", 325; Age 23

Rotheram is technically a free agent next year, but he will be an exclusive-rights free agent so the Packers could keep him around for the league minimum in 2017. He may be groomed as Tretter's replacement as a swing player on the interior; he added some snaps at center this spring to his repertoire. Another year on the practice squad is not out of the question, either, but he could be an intriguing depth piece moving forward.

Continue reading @http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/ ...

Have to think they go with Lang and Tretter who are younger and see how Bak play this season. But with TT who really knows.

here's what i would do. i would sign tretter to a deal as soon as possible - before it becomes a necessity for him to replace a starter. this will also give you some (not a lot, but some) negotiating power if/when trying to re-sign sitton, lang and bacteria.

here's what i would do. i would sign tretter to a deal as soon as possible - before it becomes a necessity for him to replace a starter. this will also give you some (not a lot, but some) negotiating power if/when trying to re-sign sitton, lang and bacteria.

Thing is Tretter and his agent know that you are probalby not going to keep both Lang and Sitton so to re-sign him he will ask for starter money.

Thing is Tretter and his agent know that you are probalby not going to keep both Lang and Sitton so to re-sign him he will ask for starter money.
you still have more leverage now than you will have later.

Sitton. Lang. Bak Cook Lacy. Tretter is not a priority

Sitton. Lang. Bak Cook Lacy. Tretter is not a priority

you're not going to be able to keep sitton, lang and bak. at least one - and probably two of them are gone. tretter will replace one of them. if you sign him when there is only a possibility of him being a starter, he will be cheaper than if you sign him when he is a starter due to lack of alternatives. with sitton and lang, i think whoever signs first is staying with the packers and the other one is gone. if spriggs looks good, bak may be gone as well - unless they decide he can play right tackle (he sucked when they tried him there iirc).

you can say that tretter isn't a priority, and in a world where money is no object, that may be true. but if we have to let go of a starter because we can't afford them, it would be better to keep a player who has experience in the system and has played well than to gamble on an unknown player.

I would offer Sitton and Lang a deal 4 years 32 million with about 14 guaranteed. Also telling their agents that first one to accept this deal gets it and the other one will be allowed to leave via FA.

Bak I am guessing is going to want 7-10 million a year. If Spriggs can show he can play LT at the NFL level I think you let Bak walk.

Tretter I am throwing a 4 year 16 million dollar at him see if he takes that.

So then in 2017 for OL I am looking at

LT-Spriggs
LG-Sitton or Tretter
C-Lindsley
RG-Lang or Tretter
RT-Bulaga

Murphy as backup swing tackle and Taylor and draft picks backing up at Guard and tackle beyond that.

I would offer Sitton and Lang a deal 4 years 32 million with about 14 guaranteed. Also telling their agents that first one to accept this deal gets it and the other one will be allowed to leave via FA.

Bak I am guessing is going to want 7-10 million a year. If Spriggs can show he can play LT at the NFL level I think you let Bak walk.

Tretter I am throwing a 4 year 16 million dollar at him see if he takes that.

So then in 2017 for OL I am looking at

LT-Spriggs
LG-Sitton or Tretter
C-Lindsley
RG-Lang or Tretter
RT-Bulaga

Murphy as backup swing tackle and Taylor and draft picks backing up at Guard and tackle beyond that.
I think you are about right at $8m average but my guess is you may have to be at $17m or above on guarantee money.

You can throw that at Tretter but doubt he bites.

I think you are about right at $8m average but my guess is you may have to be at $17m or above on guarantee money.

You can throw that at Tretter but doubt he bites.

Can't see Tretter getting much more as a guy who has been pretty much a career backup and has had injury issues.

Back