Will 2017 Be The Same As 2005 ?

Mr. Peabody

Reaction score
TT came to GB in 2005, and inherited a 2004 roster with 2 of the best guards in the league, but both had contracts that had come to an end. Rivera was a 9 year veteran, Mike Wahle a 7 year veteran. As we all know, both Rivera and Wahle signed very large contracts with other teams, and GB was left looking for replacements.
Assuming nothing changes drastically during the upcoming season, in 2017, again the Packers will have two of the best guards in the league, both with expired contracts. Sitton will be a 9 year veteran, Lang an 8 year veteran. Both could be hot commodities on the FA market.
Differences in the situations then and now:
- In 2005 GB had a very difficult salary cap situation. That will not be the case in 2017.
- While they had similar experience, Sitton will be two years younger than Rivera was in 2005.
- The roster TT inherited had no suitable replacement guards under contract or FA guards who might be resigned more cheaply than the starters. In 2017 it looks like they will have Taylor under contract and possibly Walker and/or Rotheram as FAs who might be resigned cheaper than Sitton or Lang. Then there is also Tretter who could be resigned as a piece somewhere. There is also the possibility of a 2016 addition through the draft.
- In 2005 the rest of the starting line was under contract, 2017 will have Bakhtiari also as a FA.
So what will TT do? Sign one, both, neither of Sitton and Lang?

Nice assessment, you kinda answered your own question there :D

TT has 9 picks + holdovers + cap room to prepare our Oline for 2017. A whole lot depends on what kinda talent we get from this draft and how some young 'uns develop.

We could, in theory, afford to bring the trio of starters back, but only by pushing cap hits back with big signing bonuses. That would be veeeeeery risky considering Bak's talent level and our OGs' injury histories. Neither has missed many games, but both have had chronic issues they fought through. Tretter has some history in the infirmary, as well.

So many uncertainties - draft, injuries, market, etc - that I won't even hazard a guess of what our line looks like in 2017.

At least this time we have a year to prep for that, and a healthy cap to protect from total disaster.

At least this time we have a year to prep for that, and a healthy cap to protect from total disaster.

This is why we will work it out. I don't think we keep them all, but at least we are not without options this time around.

I could certainly see them keeping 2 of the 3. With Pepper's deal coming off the CAP next year, there is some room to give Bak a market value deal and keep at least one of Sitton and Lang. Really, considering both Sitton and Lang are already paid as top-10 guards, it's possible given their ages that their next deals won't be much richer than their current deals. TT may well decide to find a way to keep both.

That said, TT may have other ideas for that money and he may want to let one of the young guys take over. Of course, it's possible TT won't be the guy making those decisions.

I don't think there's any question at least one is allowed to walk. GB will draft a replacement and fill the gap and move on. TT knows he can't keep the same band together forever, just like with his position I believe they have a short and long term plan in place.

Back