Who's the backup QB?

diesel

Reaction score
Website
thechive.com
Hundley or Callahan. Hundley has tools and is a bit more flashy, but I go with the more consistent, poised, Callahan. What say you?

Hundley, unless his 'ankle' has an undisclosed problem. :)

Joe has really done well and it will be interesting to see what shakes out.

Keep both.... screw an extra DB. That worked not at all the last time they tried it. If Hundley is hobbled you at least have a guy with reps in the fold. tc(

You would have to be insane to make Callahan the backup he would play he would have 10 INT's by halftime. He's super green and should be a game day inactive every week.

There's a couple of reasons I'd keep Callahan. First, it appears Hundley is an accident waiting to happen. Even if he was as skillful as - let's say Romo - would you consider him a really good option as a back up? Guys who get hurt get hurt often. I can't tell you of any guy who has had two years around the game and spent a lot of time injured, who have turned that around. Yet.... Hundley does have talent. Question - How much?

Callahan. Watching him play is "Flutiesk!" I remember Doug doing everything including the jump pass. "He ain't gonna be any good! Too short!"

When he was doing well, they were quiet. When his career was nearing the end they were back on the bandwagon of him being too small. He made an impact in the league, and wasn't one of the hundreds of little guys who never got a shot because of size prejudice. He refused to fit that mold. Is Callahan like that? Is he the kind of guy who might even enjoy a career as a backup? If he fits into the latter, he could be one heck of a good player down the road. If his coming out of a small school, and doing as well as he is already is any indicator, he could be a lot better next year, and it's possible Hundley would automatically be #3.

One thing I do know about Callahan, from what I've seen. He can throw the quick in as good as anyone outside of Rodgers. He rarely throws it into danger.

Hundley wasn't injured last year and he rolled his ankle this year. It happens, don't see how he gets the injury prone label. Second, remember Rodgers first years in the league? Had a hamstring injury year one, year two played one game and went on IR with a broken foot. Glad we didn't give up on him!

First of all, I offered it as an opinion. You don't have to agree. It doesn't matter. Make any comment you'd like, but don't throw out smart-assed comments as if you're going to put me down to "put me in my place."
The day that an opinion, or the right to post something that's intended to draw people into a discussion on possibilities is no longer acceptable, I'll be more than happy to leave.

First of all, I offered it as an opinion. You don't have to agree. It doesn't matter. Make any comment you'd like, but don't throw out smart-assed comments as if you're going to put me down to "put me in my place."
The day that an opinion, or the right to post something that's intended to draw people into a discussion on possibilities is no longer acceptable, I'll be more than happy to leave.

Shocked(

Sorry, TW.

I really hope you're not referring to rp's post.

Hundley isn't injury prone (yet), and as far as I can see (read) rp did not 'throw out smart-assed comments', unless you're referring to his comment that he was glad that we didn't give up on Rodger's when he had all of his newbie problems.

Make any comment you'd like, but don't throw out smart-assed comments as if you're going to put me down to "put me in my place."

What in the world??? Sheesh, you're new here and I've enjoyed your posts previously, but why would you think someone here was trying to 'put you in your place'??? (Not that I even know what that means)

Good lord. By the time you posted on this thread, both Hundley and Callahan were on the 53. Done deal.

rp was simply referring to your 'opinion' that Hundley was injury-prone.

Okay.

Since this thread was started *before* the QB situation was settled, and you are apparently talking about 'possiblities' about the QB's (when that's already a done deal, so far), I'm not so sure what you are all pissed off about.

violin((

Not pissed off in the slightest. Just made a statement as to how the response sounded. I agree that he hasn't been considered injury prone at this point, but when you get a second injury - I don't care how small - and it effects playing time in both cases, front offices and coaching staffs monitor the situation carefully, and put red flags up that tell them to be alert to possibilities.

My opinion? Hundley is a pretty decent QB. He might do well in the NFL, but it will never be in GB. Callahan, on the other hand, has talent, but is probably too short to make an impact in GB. Maybe not enough talent to be an NFL QB. The jury is out on that one.

If people don't believe coaching staffs and front offices think like that, someone made the statement in a thread that the Patriot philosophy is to let a player go before they become an injury problem. It also may well be the reason Sitton is gone. So, don't dismiss the idea they are concerned about Hundley's ability to stay healthy. Especially if we didn't see Sitton as one of the cuts to 53. Hopefully, that's not the case.

Well that escalated quickly. When I write on this message board I use the words I would use hanging out at a bar watching the game with people over a beer. I do forget that with the written word you lose the normal social cues that let others know it's all in good sport and not personal. TW I was just 'arguing' a specific point you made (that you can't judge Hundley to be injury prone based on one aggrevated rolled ankle).

That's it! I understand your reaction because I've felt that others on other boards have done that to me before (putting me in my place by reminding me that they've been around longer or coached football or whatever) and I didn't like it much either, but I can assure you that wasn't my intent so anything you imagined to be under the surface of my comments is just that: imagined. That said, I still do not believe I have to preface my own thoughts and opinions with an affirmation that others are entitled to their own and have value and could be right/are right.

As to the topic at hand, I actually agree wth you about Callahan. He's certainly a gamer with pro arm strength, and with Hundley still being dinged up they had to keep him around on the roster. Especially now that we're voluntarily down one all-pro LG we will need all the scrambling QB ability we can get, and running for his life didn't seem to phase Joe at all in the preseason so he's ahead of the curve already.

Back