Was Ohio State ripped off?

TW

Reaction score
First of all, I am not supportive of OSU. I dislike them, being a Badgers fan. Secondly, I hate complaining about calls made by officials. Yet, here I am, totally in awe as to how the officials could make a call like they did, denying Ohio State a TD on a turnover.

Like it or not, the call appeared pretty bad. This whole "football move" is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. What the hell is a "football move?" FP(

I kind of agree it's an unfortunate call, but OSU was in the red zone 3 times in the first half and came away with 3 field goals. I kinda figured that would haunt them. If they score a TD on at least one of those other chances it's probably a different game. They had opportunities. For all the non-stop talking about the middle of their O-line, they sure weren't able to move that Clemson defense much when they needed to near the goal-line.

That whole business of completing the catch is such a tough call. I will say though, the "rules" guy on the broadcast called it right away. It's a tough way to lose, but I guess I don't feel like they got ripped off. Those crazy calls happen pretty regularly. It would be different for me if this was a one-off type call or something the refs egregiously missed.

That game felt a little like the Big-10 championship game, with OSU playing the role of Wisconsin. Come out of the gate in full gallop and take a nice early lead, but slowly wear down as the game moves along. When Clemson scored those 2 TDs in the 2nd quarter it just felt like the game would eventually slip away from OSU.

On a separate note, can we just get a ruling by the NCAA that Oklahoma is simply no longer allowed to be in a playoff game no matter what their record. Have they been even remotely competitive, even once. There is so much focus on offense in the Big-12 that it seems everyone just takes a pass on playing any defense. Maybe just rule out that whole conference.

Full disclosure I don’t hate OSU and while I picked Clemson I wanted them to win for the sake of the conference. In real time it looked incomplete but replay was different. It comes down to interpretation of what is a football move and also one thing I don’t know is there a difference between the college rule of completing a catch and the NFL. I remember a catch in the UW / Michigan game that the Michigan kid caught the ball but replay overturned it and by the NFL rule that was a catch. Based on the NFL rule the call was awful last night
Another call was the targeting call. I understand the intent of the rule but the kid did not launch himself and Lawerence tucked his head, impossible for the contact not to occur. I could live with a 15 yd penalty but I thought the ejection was not warranted

As noted OSU had nobody to blame but themselves. Missed red zone trips and if your defense is that good do not allow a 93 yd drive under 4 minutes.

Every game it seems has a what if? play. Ohio State and the Big Ten continue to be pretenders vs the SEC/ACC . Too much speed and athleticism to overcome.

I thought that the targeting call was BS and that ejection completely changed the game. Wade had his side of the field shutdown and after he was out Lawrence started to attack that side and get completions. Changed the entire rest of the game. Key word is Game, I was reminded of that last night in the shout room.
I consider myself a big ten fan. I believe they put a good product on the field and do believe the refs had a negative impact on last night game. From what I saw OSU came to play and would have crushed a wounded Clemson if not for the ejection.

I thought that the targeting call was BS and that ejection completely changed the game. Wade had his side of the field shutdown and after he was out Lawrence started to attack that side and get completions. Changed the entire rest of the game. Key word is Game, I was reminded of that last night in the shout room.
I consider myself a big ten fan. I believe they put a good product on the field and do believe the refs had a negative impact on last night game. From what I saw OSU came to play and would have crushed a wounded Clemson if not for the ejection.
3 missed red zone trips. You convert on 2 of 3 both calls do not matter. Stop Clemson from going 93 yds those calls do not matter. Not sure Clemson was wounded, Dobbins ankle was clearly not 100% and neither was Fields.

As I said last night - the targeting call has been called that way for a few years; the player doesn't have to launch himself, or do anything intentional; any contact to the head is considered targeting - right or wrong.
As for the incompletion / fumble - that could have gone either way. The one thing I wondered - completed pass, pushing him backwards - you could also have said that forward progress had been stopped and blown the whistle - but that's a bit of a stretch of that quick of a whistle. But he never did get a chance to "make a football move".

OSU has got more than it's fair share of calls go their way this year.. They really can't complain.

If if's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas...

But Marks point is accurate as far as Big ten goes.

OSU has got more than it's fair share of calls go their way this year.. They really can't complain.

If if's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry christmas...

But Marks point is accurate as far as Big ten goes.
I wanted to say this - not saying it's Kharma, but yeah, OSU got plenty of favorable calls during the conference season.
And because of those calls . . . they never were in a position of being in a close game at the end and thus never had to deal with what they saw last night.

I wanted to say this - not saying it's Kharma, but yeah, OSU got plenty of favorable calls during the conference season.
And because of those calls . . . they never were in a position of being in a close game at the end and thus never had to deal with what they saw last night.
Sorry they lost because of missed red zone opportunities, letting Clemson go 93 yds in 3 minutes. They hit 2 of the red zone trips calls don’t matter and OSU wins going away

OSU got 3 chunk plays from Dobbins that’s it. Young was a non factor. Clemson DL and OL were more athletic than OSU and it wore down OSU.

Back