UW Men's Basketball Head Coaching Position - now posted

57packer

Reaction score
Interesting timing. The head coaching position has now been posted and the UW will accept applicants for the next 2 weeks. This pretty much means Gard will be the only serious candidate.

Assuming they leave the job posted for the full 2 weeks, interview, and then announce shortly after the 2 week period is over, this would have Gard in place with the "interim" tag removed to start the NCAA tournament.

I'm sure that will be a nice boost, for the team and Gard, going into the tournament but to me the timing is still odd. Why not let this play out for another 3-4 weeks? Gard isn't going anywhere - this is his dream job. Recruits aren't going anywhere - most of the good ones are signed and those that are left are not being recruited heavily this time of year. ALL schools around the country, both high school and college, are in playoff mode right now.

I think Gard deserves the job, but am surprised Alvarez changed his timetable and as a result will not really have a true read on who's interested.

Interesting timing. The head coaching position has now been posted and the UW will accept applicants for the next 2 weeks. This pretty much means Gard will be the only serious candidate.

Assuming they leave the job posted for the full 2 weeks, interview, and then announce shortly after the 2 week period is over, this would have Gard in place with the "interim" tag removed to start the NCAA tournament.

I'm sure that will be a nice boost, for the team and Gard, going into the tournament but to me the timing is still odd. Why not let this play out for another 3-4 weeks? Gard isn't going anywhere - this is his dream job. Recruits aren't going anywhere - most of the good ones are signed and those that are left are not being recruited heavily this time of year. ALL schools around the country, both high school and college, are in playoff mode right now.

I think Gard deserves the job, but am surprised Alvarez changed his timetable and as a result will not really have a true read on who's interested.
Gard earned the job and his players bought into him, he knows the next two recruiting class's etc so you really don't gain a lot by hiring out side of UW right now. Give him a 3 year deal and let it play out is my thinking.

Believe me, I have nothing against Gard becoming the coach. I agree he earned it and I suspect he will do well. It's just the timing. Sure Gard knows the recruits, but so does whomever would be interviewed. All these guys know the recruits. It's what they do no matter where they are coaching.

On the recruiting front, the 2016 class is pretty much done. All of the guys Gard (and Bo) targeted as plan A guys turned UW down, so we have zero recruits right now. Those target guys are not likely to change their minds now. Basically all that is left for 2016 is plan B guys. Maybe one will accept and turn out to be a good player, but that same guy likely would accept if this was done 3-4 weeks later.

2017 recruiting won't really heat up until after the tournament is over - again, plenty of time to complete the hiring process and get the coach on the recruiting trail. I suspect Gard would get the job either way, I'm just surprised Barry didn't wait so he could see what type of candidates you might get.

Believe me, I have nothing against Gard becoming the coach. I agree he earned it and I suspect he will do well. It's just the timing. Sure Gard knows the recruits, but so does whomever would be interviewed. All these guys know the recruits. It's what they do no matter where they are coaching.

On the recruiting front, the 2016 class is pretty much done. All of the guys Gard (and Bo) targeted as plan A guys turned UW down, so we have zero recruits right now. Those target guys are not likely to change their minds now. Basically all that is left for 2016 is plan B guys. Maybe one will accept and turn out to be a good player, but that same guy likely would accept if this was done 3-4 weeks later.

2017 recruiting won't really heat up until after the tournament is over - again, plenty of time to complete the hiring process and get the coach on the recruiting trail. I suspect Gard would get the job either way, I'm just surprised Barry didn't wait so he could see what type of candidates you might get.
Kobe King was a Plan A guy for 2016

To me Gard has earned the job and can't see any reason not to fill it. Could also be a morale boost for the team going into the tourney.

I think Barry like many programs use back door channels to gauge interest in who would like this job. I think Barry also can't fight the results Gard has got and how his players seem to love him. I think there would have been a lot of negative backlash at Barry had he not given Gard the job.

Being realistic here. It would have taken a complete implosion for Gard not to get this job. It's a very good job but not a great job, maybe the 5th best in the conference when taking into consideration recruiting base and resources. Your not going to attract a Bill Self type coach. Did Alvarez have a short list? Yes all AD have one right now, even Kentucky and Kansas or Duke. Did he gauge interest outside? Doubtful. To early in the process

Kobe King was a Plan A guy for 2016

Just a clarification . . . Kobe King is a 2017 kid. UW has no commits for 2016.

Maybe that is why Barry did it this way. He's already contacted some guys through back-channels (agents . . . cough, cough) and didn't really get a feeling anyone was heavily interested. Combine that with the tear this team is on right now and there was probably little chance that there would be a better candidate. I could buy that as the reason.

Just a clarification . . . Kobe King is a 2017 kid. UW has no commits for 2016.

Maybe that is why Barry did it this way. He's already contacted some guys through back-channels (agents . . . cough, cough) and didn't really get a feeling anyone was heavily interested. Combine that with the tear this team is on right now and there was probably little chance that there would be a better candidate. I could buy that as the reason.
My bad on King. As I said no elite coach would make a move to UW for various reasons. It's a mid major guy or assistant type. It was Gards to lose from day 1

King is from my area here and everything I have heard is one of the main reasons he is going to UW is Gard. Watched him play two weeks ago and the kid is for real. Bronson K is from here too so we are I am proud to say developing some quality BBPs for UW.

Back